1:24 Jaguar E-type Roadster from Revell

Completed this rather nice kit at the weekend. Its a good kit, reasonably priced without any major faults IMO. Parts fitted well, there were a few mould lines that needed scraping/sanding and a few ejector pin marks but most of these are well hidden. The body shell is moulded in dark green plastic but it was suggested to me that Primrose Yellow would look good. I got a bottle of touch up paint from M.A.D. Paints and used that to colour match a tamiya mix to use in the airbrush. I used Tamiya Grey primer to cover the green plastic then Tamiya white primer to give a good base for the Primrose Yellow and its come out rather nice I reckon!

The biggest fault with the kit is the lack of a proper British number plate! However I don't believe that is a serious problem - there will be aftermarket or you can make your own!

DSC_5933.JPG

DSC_5934.JPG

DSC_5935.JPG

DSC_5936.JPG

DSC_5937.JPG

DSC_5939.JPG

DSC_5940.JPG

DSC_5941.JPG

The best bit of the kit though is the box art:

DSC_5822.JPG

So thats a 1960s Diana Rigg being driven in a German reg left-hand drive car by a 1990s Sean Bean, with Lassie about to be run over outside a Bavarian looking country house.

I bet the artist thought the mushrooms tasted a bit funny...

• Like 27
  • Haha 2

That's turned out really well, I've a soft spot for E-types that aren't the obvious BRG or bright red.  For some reason the hood cover stands out to me as particularly well done on your build; the painting/shading makes it look very realistic.

• Thanks 1

I took some care over that, I wanted to give it a slightly 'used' look so painted it with a mix of Tamiya XF-69 Nato Black (which is actually a very dark green) and some X-18 Semi-matt Black to get that 'not quite black' look. Then gave it a wash with Flory Black wash and when that was dry gave it a light scrubbing with a kitchen towel to get the wash off the raised parts, which also make them a bit more shiny so they catch the light and look like they have been highlighted when they haven't :)

That description sounds like I knew what I was doing :) As that great Philosopher Bob Ross said "You don't make mistakes, you just have happy accidents!"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kallisti said:

The best bit of the kit though is the box art:

So thats a 1960s Diana Rigg being driven in a German reg left-hand drive car by a 1990s Sean Bean, with Lassie about to be run over outside a Bavarian looking country house.

I bet the artist thought the mushrooms tasted a bit funny...

So nice of the artist to have Lassie along for the ride so she's on hand to save poor Sean Bean from being killed off this time! :winkgrin: And Diana Rigg is always a win! :D

Oh! - BTW -  your Jag' is an absolute cracker! :goodjob:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I agree it's an excellent result. First one of these I've seen built up and it looks right. To my eyes your build is much better than the similar colour coupe they did on the Wheeler Dealers trading series a few year back.

• Thanks 1

God damn that is a nice job!

About to do my very first foray into a car diorama soon - a limited run 1/25 Holden FC 1959 for a mate who owns a real one.

What method did you use for getting the yellow paint looking just right - not to shiny, not too dull?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, thommo said:

What method did you use for getting the yellow paint looking just right - not to shiny, not too dull?

Not a lot to be honest, it is a custom Tamiya paint mix but uses both matt yellow and gloss white. The base colour is tamiya white primer over tamiya grey primer, which was given a light sanding with micromesh before the yellow was applied via the airbrush. I haven't put a gloss or matt coat over the paint though so you are seeing the true paint finish.

• Like 1

First new-tooled roadster I’ve seen posted - beautiful job! I agree with pale yellow being a nice change from the BRG or red. Your timing is impeccable, I’m about to start a commission of this kit for my wife who insists I build her a red one (couldn’t talk her into light metallic blue). The kit wheels look pretty good with the black wash and I like the look with the side windows raised. How did you tone down the chromed kit parts? 

• Thanks 1

I stripped the chrome using Mr Muscle Oven cleaner and repainted using one of either  Alclad chrome (for the larger bits)  or  Mr Metal Color Aluminium for the small bits.

The wheels, windscreen frame and bumpers are Alclad although the bumpers aren't as 'chromy' as I would have liked :) It all turned out okay however I reckon.

• Like 1

Really excellent job… they don’t come more Classic than that! Engine bay and cockpit look very neat and detailed, and the use of decals is clever. The colour is spot on: I’ve seen a couple in Primrose Yellow in real life, and on a sunny day it’s lovely. From your build, the Revell kit looks like it deserves the positive reviews, especially in drop-top form.

best,

M. 

• Thanks 1

Lovely build and very well done with the yellow. Tough colour to get right! I've got the e type in the stash (the other version) and can't wait to get to it once the other two builds are out of the way!

Nick

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ElectricLightAndy said:

Fantastic build, primrose is one of my favourite e-type colours, but mainly on the S3, have you noticed that an extremely young Connery appears to be driving the Coupe version 🤔

Blimey, you're right. I think the girl in the coupe might be Julie Christie... a bit more rare groove than Diana Rigg, but has the period vibe down pat...

best,

M.

I’ve seen recently this car with a French licence plate and the same yellow livery in the streets of Loudun, French little town closest to my home, but hadn’t time to follow it or take pictures.

The yellow you used is exactly the same.

I was surprised by the little size of this dream car !

Your build is excellent 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1