Airfix Bloodhound missile trolley, how accurate is it?

bootneck

I am planning to measure and rescale the Airfix Bloodhound missile set for a diorama similar to this scene and would like to know how accurate the trolley shape is.  I have googlied around but cannot find any plans or dimensions to work to.

I have the Airfix kit and would like to know if it is an accurate representation of the loading trolley.

cheers,

Mike

On 8/11/2021 at 11:07 AM, bootneck said:

Thanks Heather,

digital caliper at the ready then.

Mike

Are you  building a Bloodhound Mk 1 or II?  The MkII missile was longer than the MkI, The airfix kit depicts a Mk I. I assume the transporter changed for the longer missile.

Selwyn

• Like 1

4 hours ago, darthspud said:

Sure i've seen a Bloodhound on a trailer at IWM Duxford or a.n.other museum, maybe RAF Museum @ Hendon.

Surely they have online presence to get this info?

There is a Mk 2 at Cosford IIRC https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g504108-d212414-i342628027-Royal_Air_Force_Museum_Cosford-Shifnal_Shropshire_England.html but i think its on a launcher not transporter.

Selwyn

Mike - a couple of points -

The Airfix Bloodhound kit is 1/72 rather than 1/76 - it was first issued as part of the Airfix aircraft range in 1960 before they started to produce 1/76 AFVs in 1961/2. 

There is a softback book called "Build and Convert Airfix Military Models" by Tom Cole, published by SAM.  I remember looking at it at SMW (2000ish??) when it was first published and, if I remember correctly, it had notes on how to improve the kit - I don't have the book so it might be my memory is going!!  Perhaps someone on the AFV pages here can verify if there is such an article.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/08/2021 at 08:39, czechnavy said:

The Airfix Bloodhound kit is 1/72 rather than 1/76 - it was first issued as part of the Airfix aircraft range in 1960 before they started to produce 1/76 AFVs in 1961/2. 

There is a softback book called "Build and Convert Airfix Military Models" by Tom Cole, published by SAM.  I remember looking at it at SMW (2000ish??) when it was first published and, if I remember correctly, it had notes on how to improve the kit - I don't have the book so it might be my memory is going!!  Perhaps someone on the AFV pages here can verify if there is such an article.

Mike

It is in the book, the missile is converted to a mk II and other changes are to the launcher unfortunately the trailer is not covered.

Simon.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Trailer in the Airfix kit is a Prototype model. It was only used at Woomera and North Coates, The production trailer only had four wheels on it, not 6 like the prototype. 

RAF_Rattlesden_1.jpg

There is at least 2 Bloodhound Mk 1 trailers still extant. One at the RAAF museum and one that will be going on display at a UK Museum, most likely next year.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 8:39 AM, czechnavy said:

Mike

A quick internet Search shows you correct. It does show the modification of a Mk 1 into a Mk 2, What the author has failed to note is the following:

Bloodhound Mk 2 Radome is longer and has a very different shape to the Mk 1.

Bloodhound Mk 2 Ramjets are totally different shape, have a bigger intake and an enlarged rear end section.

Bloodhound Mk 2 has bigger tailplanes.

Bloodhound Mk 2 has different ramjet mounts and stub wing design (The Mounts for the Mk 1 kit are incorrect for a real Mk 1 as well).

Bloodhound Mk 2 has different Boost Motors, rear boost motor mounts and Boost Motor Fins. The Boost motors are in line with the tappered body section on both versions of the missile, not the front constant diameter front end.

Bloodhound Mk 2 has external Proximity fuze aerial and fairings, plus large vortex generators on the main body in front of the Ramjets (The Mk 1 has a couple of Vortex generators on the missile mainbody as well)

013.jpg

• Like 1