Does anyone have a 9x9 tent? - looking for dimensions.

bootneck

I know that it sounds silly, asking for dimensions of something that already has dimensions; however, I am looking to scratchbuild a 9x9 tent to fit on the back of a Land Rover model.  I am trying to find out the dimensions of the framework, especially the height and width at the shoulder/head cross frames, plus the full height at the apex please.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for the link DA but unfortunately it doesn't have any dimension details.  The only clue is that it is 1ft 1.75in taller than a Mk.2 but no details of what the Mk.2 sizes are.

I am looking for the dimensions across at 'shoulder' height, including the height at that connection; plus the height at the apex, as show in this diagram.

spacer.png

If the diagram had been a profile view, rather than oblique, then I could have worked out those dimensions myself, but not from that angle.

cheers,
Mike

Mr Google says that there seem to be many people selling surplus 9x9s.  Perhaps you might persuade one to measure one for you?

I found the CES but that annoyingly doesn't give the parts sizes.  I tried searching for some of the NSNs but came up empty.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/423463/20150408-FOI2015_03278_tent2_enclosure3.pdf

I found someone selling spare parts with dimensions, which might be useful given the diagram above.  For the 9x9 there are 5ft, 4ft 2in and 3ft poles.  The 5ft are definitely the lower legs and the 3ft are definitely the ridge pieces, so the 4ft 2in pieces must be the eaves.

Edited by Das Abteilung
addition

Thanks again DA. :clap2: I can work to that and just need to add a couple of inches for the connection pieces.  Just a thought, I wonder if those sizes are the total length, including the insert parts at each end, or just the visual elements after installation?  Again, I am sure that I can work that out with a few checks.

cheers,
Mike

On 8/14/2021 at 10:42 AM, bootneck said:

Just a thought, I wonder if those sizes are the total length, including the insert parts at each end,

According to the seller they are the lengths of the tubes themselves.  That's all he was selling: no connectors.   The connectors would add about 3 inches to each tube's length at each end when constructed.

So the 4' 2" pieces must actually be the horizontal members and the 3' pieces must be the angled ones or the dimensions don't fit.

Edited by Das Abteilung
Correction