1/72 Airfix Concorde AND Heller Boeing 707 double build (yes, he is completely mad!)

Bjorn

Aware of its shortcomings, but blinded by the beautiness of the Concorde, I bought the Airfix/Heller 1/72 kit a few years ago. Recovering a little, I could see clear enough not to build it immediately, but last year I suddenly lost control and started it. 

Cockpit is fairly basic for its scale. But since most of it will be hidden anyway, I decided to build it OOB

49481349328_f568b9080f_c.jpg

The nose is moveable, which obvouisly is a bad solution. So I decided to skip that and glue it in raised position. Because of that. I had to scratch-build the interior under the windshield. The tail wheel wll also got some details.

49482044662_42489e0d43_c.jpg

Dry-fitting after lots of sanding and fettling:

49482044607_7925955fd3_c.jpg

Regarding that the kit is not that old, this must be one of the worst-fitting kits I have ever built. Here is just one example:

49481832506_d03461eb1f_c.jpg

After lots of sweat, tears, putty and sanding. This is a HUGE bird! Almost 87 cm long!

49481349243_1dc197bfa0_c.jpg

One of many bad design decisions is that the fin is not a separate part, but a part of the body sections - which of course brings more problems. The front part was about 0,5 mm thinner than the rest of the fin, so I had to glue a piece of plasticard on the right side, and trimmed it to a decent shape (more sanding followed after this picture):

49482044507_5ff89ed002_c.jpg

Another example of bad design is the area around the landing lights; Airfix did not even try to get this right, leaving a "hole" behind it (left). I had to create new parts of plasticard (right), followed by more sanding and puttying:

49538887322_847cc3a0b7_c.jpg

Did someone say "ejector pin marks"?

49538659896_d7fb418261_c.jpg

After one of many sanding sessions: I started with grit 150... :)

49538659861_c34c4a8785_c.jpg

Two more examples of non-existent fit:

49538887252_69577f58da_c.jpg

After more sanding and fettling it was good enough:

49538659806_68eb355e07_c.jpg

Ready for nose assembly:

49538659796_a71e77d735_c.jpg

As I mentioned before: This one is huge! I can't count how many times I accidentally have hit things with it. Thanks to the hard and builder-hostile plastic, nothing has been broken. At least so far.

49538670821_4f28aeaef4_c.jpg

At this stage I got tired of this one, putting it away for a while. Being a completely fool, I decided to go for anorher beast (I even bought it to build it immediately - I did not just picked it from my stash!): Heller's old 1/72 Boeing 707. Luckily, it turned out to be a much simpler build - at least compared to the Concorde. The basic buiding went so fast that I forgot to take photos.

The biggest challenge was to get a good fit between the wings and the body, but this was solved by a little violence. It was also a little difficult to glue the engines to the wings. The canopy also needed some work.

49583370562_f65f1475ca_c.jpg

At this stage, I was completely exhausted and tired of large models. So a number of 1/48 jets and i dozen of old Heller kits in the Britmodeller GB followed. But a few weeks ago I decided to finish these two. Mainly since I was tired of moving them every time I wanted to build something else, since I had no other place for them than under my workbench.

The Boeing was primed with Tamiya white primer and Bare Metal Silver from rattlecans. After that I painted it with Mr Paint and Vallejo Metallics. The fin recieved a Lufthansa-blue mix of Tamiya X4 Blue and X18 Black.

51371655509_4b75b2068d_c.jpg

The Concorde was of course easier to paint. But after priming it with Tamiya white primer, I discovered so many problems that I almost threw it away. Somehow I managed to fix it and painted it with several layers of Mr Paint white.

51370170892_096f3854ca_c.jpg

I decided to use the kit decals in both cases. Heller's old Lufhansa decals were a little brittle and had lots of small errors, but were good enough and did not cause too much problems. I replaced the German flag on the fin and added a yellow background on the Stuttgart coat of arms.

51370928751_92749195c5_c.jpg

The Concorde decals were of better quality. The problem here is that they seem to be made for another (non-existing) 1/72 Concorde model. They do not correspond at all to the small hatches etc on the model... The decal for the 2nd door in the left side was also wrong, being too short. Luckily, I managed to find decals with almost the same grey colour, cut them to shape and added the strips to the kit decal making it longer. The decals had plenty of other errors, so Concorde rivet-counters, please look away... 

And here we are now!

51370612972_37e0c96ffb_c.jpg

Just the final touch and the landing gears remain. And of course, convincing my wife that these two beasts will be an excellent addition to our living room. ;) 

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 2

When you said you're building both, I thought you were going to swap the wings between the two. Imagine how that would look. Even though the Concorde(I'll be nice) doesn't sound easy to make I still want to get one. Both of these look great. I'm not counting rivets but I think you missed one. I can say that because I never saw one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Bjorn changed the title to 1/72 Airfix Concorde AND Heller Boeing 707 double build (yes, he is completely mad!)

Great job on these!  Ah, I remember building he 707 the first time, waaaaay back.  That's an attractive color scheme, and as you said, brute force is the way to go sometimes.  Did you prime this beast and sand it down before painting it with a rattle can?

• Thanks 1

Two stunning beauties.

The Concorde is a bit of a beast to build but the result is a real eye catcher .

The Heller 707 is a great kit,it just could be a bit more detailed OOB,but otherwise its one of the best 707 kits around.

I am sure your wife will accept those 2 fine models in the living room.

My missus doesnt seem to care much if there are continuesly new models turning up in our living room...😁😉

• Like 2

Final touches on the 707. This is a beast!

51387974673_3303eda01f_c.jpg

I added some brake wires on the landing gears. Invisible on the picture as well as on the finished model, I guess. 

51386968047_96de5901df_c.jpg

Windscreen vipers is a nice addition.

51386968042_70344099ee_c.jpg

Most of the weathering will be on the wings.

51388463174_fd19e5197f_c.jpg

Just a few steps remain. The final touches on the Concorde will follow soon... Stay tuned! :)

• Like 13

17 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Looks fabulous.

What grey did you use on the wings ?

Thanks! The light grey is Mr Paint's Boeing 707 grey. I thought it sounded like a good choice. :)  The rest is painted with Vallejo Metallics.

• Like 1

Nice work!  Have an Airfix Concorde - but have not done much more than give the box contents a stern gaze. Forewarned is forearmed - thank you!

• Like 1

I’ve bought an Heller Boeing 727-200 at 1/125 scale and I must confess I didn’t had the best impression of Heller because the mold and the fitting were just HORRIBLE. I’ve wanted to build a 703 with TAP colors but I only found the kit of Heller at 1/72 with AF colors (I do presume is the same that you’ve used) so I was a bit decided to build it. Turns out there’s only decals for TAP at 1/144 🥲

After reading this topic I must confess I’ve melt by this kit. Certainly one thing I’m gonna grab from my dad for my BDay 😁😁😁

• Like 1

On 22/08/2021 at 00:53, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Looks great!  Don't forget the VHF antennas, top and bottom, the water drains, and the Q inlet on the vertical fin leading edge....

I may be forgetting something.

Alex

Thanks! They will all be left to the final finish. The Q inlet was oversized on the kit, so it will be replaced. 

On 21/08/2021 at 02:48, Diogo Monteiro said:

I’ve bought an Heller Boeing 727-200 at 1/125 scale and I must confess I didn’t had the best impression of Heller because the mold and the fitting were just HORRIBLE. I’ve wanted to build a 703 with TAP colors but I only found the kit of Heller at 1/72 with AF colors (I do presume is the same that you’ve used) so I was a bit decided to build it. Turns out there’s only decals for TAP at 1/144 🥲

After reading this topic I must confess I’ve melt by this kit. Certainly one thing I’m gonna grab from my dad for my BDay 😁😁😁

In fact, the kit was better than I expected. The 1/125 kit is from the early sixties, while this one was released for the first time in 1985, and the same one that you had. Fit was not perfect, but not bad at all. Fitting the wings to the body was a little tricky, at first there was a pretty huge gap there. But then I discovered that by pressing the wing to the body, gave the model a correct (or at least almost correct) dihedral. And apart from that, the only difficulty was fitting the engines to the wings - and the size... So good luck!

With the Boeing almost finished, I turned to the Concorde. Among all "worst parts of this build" is the challenge to give it a wash. The upper parts of the wings are full of hatches and panel lines, which are broad and shallow. At first I thought that I should not bother, but it looked a little too toy-like. So I wanted to give it a soft wash, not too pronunced. After several attempts wit different washes, I gave up and used a pencil instead. The result was not perfect, but good enough.

51397446923_c6b7286205_c.jpg

After that, the mad beauty got more layers of Johnsons Pledge, which I use as varnish on glossy surfaces. Masking removed... Almost there now!

51397446783_8bbf5a5046_b.jpg

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

Superbly build Concorde.

A few years back,I built the Revell reissue of this kit.It was mostly enjoyable but the finished model is just huge...display space was difficult to find

Thanks for sharing

Alex

• Like 1

Wow!  That's beautiful.  I appreciate your choice of colors for background contrast, too.  Very impressive work on your part.  We have a Concorde at the Udvar Hazy center (Air and Space Museum), and it's pretty huge, so I can just imagine. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Superbly build Concorde.

A few years back,I built the Revell reissue of this kit.It was mostly enjoyable but the finished model is just huge...display space was difficult to find

Thanks for sharing

Alex

Thanks! Yes, I have become aware of this problem now... :D

• Haha 2

• 4 months later...