B-52 H

Hewy

2 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Ooh, nice choice Glynn. Can't beat a BUFF!

I have been considering one of these beasts myself so I am very interested to see how you get on with this one. I would be building mine in a test scheme from Edwards, lots of metal and dayglo, rather than the later grey scheme.

Yes craig  the earlier buff variants  look great in dayglow and  bmf, lets hope  academy do the early versions soon

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Ah, but I have seen a H in the NMF and Dayglo scheme too.😁

Oh i know minicraft do an h in bmf and white, pray tell more , theres a dearth of decals for the  1/144 kits about 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hewy said:

Oh i know minicraft do an h in bmf and white, pray tell more , theres a dearth of decals for the  1/144 kits about 

You are right unfortunately, theres not a lot around for the B-52 in any scale, though I see that Caracal are due to release a set in 1/144 for SAC B-52's.

The one I fancied doing is this one seen in flight with a Vulcan;

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/88/Avro_Vulcan_B.2_in_flight_with_a_Boeing_B-52H-135_Stratofortress_near_Edwards_Air_Force_Base%2C_California_(USA)%2C_on_10_July_1961_(176246788).jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Struth I hadn't realised the B52 was a high wing, just as well as I have the Monogram 1/72 scale one in the stash.

Great to see this one join the GB, good luck.

Cheers Pat 

Hi Pat,

I built one in around 1982, and for a while I was seriously considering getting a conversion set to update to a G or H. In 1/72 it is a big beast as you no doubt know but rather impressive. I am  toying with the idea of refurbing it in the Vietnam "Big Belly" scheme. 1/144 is perhaps less of of problem to store Hewy - good luck with the build!

Pete

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PeterB said:

1/144 is perhaps less of of problem to store Hewy - good luck with the build!

I'd  love to do the model collect 72nd one pete, but as you point out its a big unit,

Looking at the sprues its still huge compared to my 1/144 vietnam gunship pair (ac-119, ac-130)

1 hour ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Ooooo nice choice Glynn. Looking forward to this one. 

Thanks h , can't  find a reason for a pink undercoat I'm  afraid pal😋

I'm  going to start snipping some bits off the sprues tonight and tape it together for a look see

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, modelling minion said:

You could if you did the one from Edwards with the dayglo on it!

See Glynn, you just weren't trying.😁

He’s got you there dude. There’s always an option for a little primer of pink.

• Haha 2

I've  made a start on the buff's bomb bay and wheel wells, all of which have superb detai for 1/144  (it puts many  modern 72nd and 48th kits detail to shame) ,and which will be open ,also not shown in the photos but I've  given the bays a coat of black mr surfacer 1500 ready for its   light grey top coat next

Doors and panels fitted to the insides of the fuselage,and the internal roof structure  built up

bQPC4Ql.jpg

Test fitted in (superb fit)

wOBCL1z.jpg

And taped up to check  it all lines up 

wsXX22U.jpg

6S0RvW8.jpg

• Like 12

On 8/11/2021 at 8:41 AM, modelling minion said:

The one I fancied doing is this one seen in flight with a Vulcan;

Takes me back to RIAT RAF Fairford 1987. A sedate SAC Bomber formation flyby along the runway by B-52, KC-135 and FB-111 was photobombed by a Vulcan taking off and climbing through the formation at 45' then doing a wingover and decending into the formation from above. All accompanied by the roar of 4 RR Olympus's at full throttle and 5,000 car alarms going off. Happy days!

That 1/144 B-52 looks to have much better detail than either the 1/100 or 1/72 ones I have built in the past. Look forward to watching the build.

Colin

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Colin W said:

That 1/144 B-52 looks to have much better detail than either the 1/100 or 1/72 ones I have built in the past. Look forward to watching the build.

The vulcan getting in on the act Sounds great colin, i got the wings built up last night, its going together like an absolute dream so far

• Like 1

Ive got the wings together and nacelles built up and fitted, and the interior bays painted grey,i just have to fit the bombs and racks(no rotary dispenser option)

9tLHOzT.jpg

Fitted (very well) and made a start on the jdam pylons and tanks

JPCpzwc.jpg

AFZ5Qsq.jpg

Test fit of the wing to fuselage join ,both wings are this good

Just pushed on

ORFckKI.jpg

• Like 11

1 minute ago, CliffB said:

It's coming together very nicely @Hewy

Is it your intention to maybe leave the wings loose?

Cheers

No cliff ,I'm  gluing them in before paint ,but the wings do fit snug withiout glue ,which would be handy though if you was to paint it in a challenging scheme, for ease of masking👍

• Like 1