Mirage F1EDA Qatar Air Force

Jabba

On 11/09/2021 at 00:18, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I tried ordering thorugh here but with all the luck in the world I could not register my address and phone number (tried too many times) so I gave up.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Jabba said:

I tried ordering thorugh here but with all the luck in the world I could not register my address and phone number (tried too many times) so I gave up.

Im sorry I only used the Aliexpress as an example, maybe a local hobby store might carry it ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

23 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im sorry I only used the Aliexpress as an example, maybe a local hobby store might carry it ? 

No need to be sorry as it is me that should be appologising as I do realise that you are only trying to help. I think that it was a combination of spending about 1/2 an hour going around in circles, getting nowhere and tiredness. It did look a good price though and there does seem to be a dearth of the stuff at the moment.

• Like 1

I am about to start applying coats of Klear for a gloss finish for the decals. As this is the first time that I have used FFSMC decals and they have instructions on how to apply I thought that I would have a read of them. Some of the instructions are very normal especially with the film over the decals being of the constant type, so having to cut out each decal individually. But then I read that rather than using water it stated to use screen washer liquid with a few drops of washing up liquid and to help the decals settle down a hairdryer can be used. I am a bit bemused by this, so can anyone help with this or better still has anyone used any decals from this manufacturer and how did they apply them?

• Like 1

@Jabba @Parrahs @Dave_R

Hi all, 

As you are also current builders of the SH kit, I thought I’d drop you a line as I am having problems with the windscreen and wonder how you dealt with it.

I have three kits and in all of them the lower edge of the windscreen is bowed whereas the fuselage join is straight. How did you get around that?

Thanks,

Martin

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

I have three kits and in all of them the lower edge of the windscreen is bowed whereas the fuselage join is straight. How did you get around that?

I don't remember any particular fit issues with the windscreen, so whatever I may have done would seem to have been a quick pass with a sanding stick or so at most.

38 minutes ago, Parrahs said:

I don't remember any particular fit issues with the windscreen, so whatever I may have done would seem to have been a quick pass with a sanding stick or so at most.

Thanks mate. On the real aircraft it is a straight edge. I’ll continue with my re-apply of the windscreen :). 

Martin

Just before I went on holiday I got all the mojor decals fitted to this one. The roundels are not perfect in that there is a slight white outing to some parts of them, which I will try and paint out. At least the colours are better on this sheet when compared to the Mirage 2000 that I have used. I will have to try and find a stencil sheet from somewhere as I do not really want to cut out each individual decal from the sheet and apply it.

@RidgeRunner I think that the only problem I had with the windscreen is that it woud not sit flat (not bowed though) and this was due to the inside of the screen hitting the instrument panel coaming. So I took a few chunks off the latter and it fitted fine.

resized_a35c148b-da3f-4ac7-8c92-77a4c4f0

resized_84638ead-be0d-4355-b09b-b1368562

resized_0aba4783-7d97-45df-b0fd-0f641d51

resized_1ba867ec-e66a-454d-b352-b976aa0e

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jabba said:

@RidgeRunner I think that the only problem I had with the windscreen is that it woud not sit flat (not bowed though) and this was due to the inside of the screen hitting the instrument panel coaming. So I took a few chunks off the latter and it fitted fine.

Thanks mate. After running a flat sander along the bottom edge of the windscreen part I also pared back the coaming. As you say, it was preventing the windscreen part from sitting comfortably. Now all seems to be okay. I settled it with some carefully placed Extra Thin cement, sealed with Kristal Klear and tomorrow will fill any remaining gaps with PPP. 

Martin

I have now finished decaling. I have only fitted the essential stencils that Icould find on the decal sheet that I have, plus I got bored with them as I am decaling two models at one time which is unusual for me. I have also painted the white parts around the roundel, not brilliant but will do for government work.

resized_a9f6ea08-46fe-461d-a233-9be527dd

resized_687994cb-000d-4bb5-aa4e-b501a713

resized_2070b9f3-076e-4865-95bc-d6296a61

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...