Disaster

rs2man

Last week I started building the newly reissued Airfix beach buggy and it was going really well , but then on Friday I decided I wasn't happy with the paint on the body.  No problem , I thought , chucking the body into a pot of Revell's excellent paint remover . Then life got in the way and I spent the weekend working on the missus's Volvo to get it through the MoT , so didn't get back into the shed till last night , by which time the paint remover had attacked the plastic .  Hopefully I'll be able to pick up another kit at the Stoke model show on Sunday.   

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

If it hasn't distorted or eaten it, shove it in the airing cupboard for a few weeks. I made this mistake on my FROG Comet when the silver paint went wrong. I did recover it, eventually, but it was difficult.

Sadly , I think it's beyond practical redemption since the stripper has badly crazed the plastic , most severely in all the bits you can't get at to sand such as round the headlamps .

Don't know what's in Revell's paint remover (I have never used it) but Tamiya's paint remover seems safe, forgot 4 rims in it for about a week and they were fine. Or is it the plastic in Airfix kits that is the problem?

I know where you're coming from, I put a Belkits mantas body a few years ago and the window pillars went that soft they distorted 😣

Managed to source a new shell in the end 

1 hour ago, dbostream said:

Don't know what's in Revell's paint remover (I have never used it) but Tamiya's paint remover seems safe, forgot 4 rims in it for about a week and they were fine. Or is it the plastic in Airfix kits that is the problem?

Airfix plastic is fine - I've stripped their stuff before . Revell stripper must be pretty aggressive though , since it will easily strip Halfords aerosol paints . No blame can be laid at any door other than mine though- I simply left it in the stripper too long .

All is not lost though as I have a cunning plan . A trawl of my memory caused me to recall an article in the August 1972 issue of Airfix Magazine converting the Airfix Beetle to a Baja Bug . At that time it involved finding or scratchbuilding an engine and buying a Ford 3 litre GT just for the wheels , but since I have all the bits from the Beach Buggy I only need a cheap Beetle .

• Like 3

Yuk.  I did that with a 3D SLA printed model and some IPA.  It expanded and delaminated over a 24 hour period.  I did manage to get it glued back together and partially filled, but it'll take a little more work to get it back to factory finish. :rolleyes: