Boeing 314 Clipper

drdjp11

Finally able to get around to thinking about starting this iconic beauty.

spacer.png

Haven't even opened the parts bag yet, but looks pretty decent.

spacer.png

• Like 9

Nice! :popcorn:

I have the Airfix boxing to build as NC18602, which was flying in the Pacific on Dec 7. Unable to return directly to San Francisco, it flew to NYC via India, Africa, and South America.

https://medium.com/s/story/the-long-way-round-the-plane-that-accidentally-circumnavigated-the-world-c04ca734c6bb

https://www.panam.org/pan-am-inspirations/634-saga-of-the-pacific-clipper

• Like 1

On 8/9/2021 at 9:31 PM, CliffB said:

Welcome to the Group Build @drdjp11.

I have fond memories of building this when it was first released by Airfix back in the day.  Have you decided on a scheme yet?

Cheers

This kit only comes with Dixie Clipper decals. Scoured the internet for alternatives, but the only other is the BOAC Berwick scheme and it only came in the Airfix kits. Seems like a missed opportunity, but maybe there just isn't a big enough demand.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, drdjp11 said:

This kit only comes with Dixie Clipper decals. Scoured the internet for alternatives, but the only other is the BOAC Berwick scheme and it only came in the Airfix kits. Seems like a missed opportunity, but maybe there just isn't a big enough demand.

In any case, the Dixie Clipper is a very attractive scheme :coolio:

• Like 1

Finally popped the parts bag - lots of pieces off the sprues - I guess a couple of decades of being rattled around will do that. All the loose pieces are bagged in a ziploc:

spacer.png

While the bigger pieces can just sit in the box:

spacer.png

• Like 3

And finally some action. Gluing the many windows and doors in - so far just the doubles. Sinkholes in every single window, so there'll be a bit of clean up required.

spacer.png

• Like 6

On 8/12/2021 at 7:18 AM, dnl42 said:

I have the Airfix boxing to build as NC18602, which was flying in the Pacific on Dec 7. Unable to return directly to San Francisco, it flew to NYC via India, Africa, and South America.

https://medium.com/s/story/the-long-way-round-the-plane-that-accidentally-circumnavigated-the-world-c04ca734c6bb

That's a heck of a story.

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2021 at 7:18 AM, dnl42 said:

How are you planning to do the markings? I haven't seen any aftermarket decals for this, so the only two schemes I'm aware of are the Dixie Clipper and the BOAC Berwick. 

Really interested in your plans for this.

1 hour ago, drdjp11 said:

How are you planning to do the markings? I haven't seen any aftermarket decals for this, so the only two schemes I'm aware of are the Dixie Clipper and the BOAC Berwick. 

Really interested in your plans for this.

I expect to cobble the decals from various sources and by printing the registration number. 

• Like 1

After some faffing about with the many windows, I decided I'm not a fan of Kristal Klear - everything is still way too sticky, so we'll see how that evolves. Meanwhile, got most of the halves of everything glued together, and the fit was pretty good all around. Some sink marks and seams to manage, but not too ugly.

8138B073-04F0-4550-9BB3-ECFB658AA4C2.jpe08816786-40E4-48D4-B892-495236861E98.jpe

And a quick dry fit check

47B49A41-308F-4F39-A2E2-923C2367F7E1.jpe

• Like 7

A bit more progress - masked all the windows - wish I had done it before I put the sponson on the one side...

67D60D5C-B26B-4A51-AEC8-61A959EBBA1E.jpe A60C76FC-7A53-467A-94B8-5C8CAF86CFFC.jpe

And then major components assembled:

9961916C-B447-4404-90ED-776A57681290.jpe 49D0EF4F-0185-457E-A873-FC4E4974DF64.jpe

Next up: Outboard vertical tails and a coat of primer. Also assembling engines/props/nacelles.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

A little more progress - unfortunately, the upper seam and tailplane integration proved to be really difficult to smooth out. Working on a suitable primer base for the m,etallic coats, which will be a mix of different aluminums to see if I can get a bit of variation in the surface.

spacer.png

• Like 5

5 hours ago, drdjp11 said:

A little more progress - unfortunately, the upper seam and tailplane integration proved to be really difficult to smooth out. Working on a suitable primer base for the metallic coats, which will be a mix of different aluminums to see if I can get a bit of variation in the surface.

Seams can be tricky, particularly under metallic coats, but hopefully your perseverence will pay off :thumbsup2:

Nice cutting mat, by the way!

Cheers

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CliffB said:

Seams can be tricky, particularly under metallic coats, but hopefully your perseverence will pay off :thumbsup2:

Nice cutting mat, by the way!

Cheers

The cutting mat is brand new from Tankraft.com. They make a few with different tanks and maybe three with aircraft. The 24"x18" Spitfire was the obvious choice. I'm not sure I'm ready to actually cut on it yet, though 😀

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got the engine nacelles put together and kept working the dark aluminum. The port front door has been a bit of a pain - it set too deep and it's difficult to fill the hole without losing the detail...

spacer.png

Edited by drdjp11
  • Like 7