Four Eduard 1/72 Albatros D.V

RC Boater Bill

After a couple of weeks away from the bench, I’m back at it again.  Started on some more “Colorful WW1 Fighters” for my growing collection.   This time it will be four of the Eduard 1/72 Albatros D.V Weekend Edition kits.   I’ve done some priming and parts cleanup so far- nothing really photo worthy yet….

This recent release comes with a huge decal sheet.  I’ll be doing two of the kit schemes (top row),  and using the lozenge for two others.   The decals for the one with all the little stars comes from a 20-year-old Eduard Profipack kit.   But I’m going to go with a dark blue fuselage instead of black- as shown in the Wingnut Wings “Bavarians” kit.  (Eduard sometimes missed  with the colors in some of their older kits— I trust WnW’s more recent research more.)
The green and white one was picked because it is colorful, and doesn’t have any markings that can’t be masked and painted…

spacer.png

• Like 2

Hopefully a timely warning - if I were you I'd coat the stars with Microscale Liquid Decal film. I used those markings when they were first issued, and like many Eduard decals of the time they tended to break up if you tried to pick them up with tweezers, and folded  up if you tried to scoot them off with a soft brush. They do have good colour density though.

Paul.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

spacer.png

This is how I build four Eduard 1/72 Albatros D.V kits at the same time, in four different schemes.   In the early stages, I mass-produced sub assemblies- painted all eight fuselage interiors, built 4 engines, and four cockpits.  I then assembled all four fuselages, then attached the bottom wings.  

TIP:   the wing cutouts on left and right fuselage halves kit are not even- the right side is not deep enough.  I needed to remove almost a sixteenth of an inch to get the wing to be horizontal.

Once the lower wings were set, it was time to send each plane back to its respective box.   The “red” scheme is easiest to paint with the rudder attached, and no stab. The green scheme is the opposite- it will be easier to mask with the stab in place and no rudder.  Sigmann’s plane, and the blue one are best painted with both tail surfaces in place.

Two of the top wings need to be painted with an undercoat for lozenge, while the other two get lilac&green camo.    Segmenting the parts in individual boxes at this point helps to ensure the right number of wheels and struts get painted the right colors- and that I am efficient in my  painting, by having (only) the right two boxes at hand when it is time to do wing camo, for instance.

• Like 2

Nice selection - I’ve contemplated building 3 of those myself and will stick around to see how they turn out. I was not aware Eduard had issued the Bavarian machine with stars: please let us know how the decals turn out!