De Havilland DH=104 Dove : 1/72 Amodel; Jersey Airport Diorama

Gosh, I can claim a front row seat for this one. Looking forward to see what you make of this kit Laurie. I have one and it looks OK in the box, but that is not always a guide as to how well it builds. 

4 hours ago, Mr T said:

Gosh, I can claim a front row seat for this one. Looking forward to see what you make of this kit Laurie. I have one and it looks OK in the box, but that is not always a guide as to how well it builds. 

Yes you have pride of place Mr T.

Looks good from initial study. Also read a review (but he had not built it) which was impressive.

As my Jersey Airport Apron is filling this will be hung from the shelf above. So will have pilots,

not included in the kit. Also no seating supplied in the cabin. They are large windows so I will be

installing seating. Plus have some sitting down figures I have.

Hope my build helps.

Laurie

• Thanks 1

Definitely interested, a Dove was often seen flying over Bedford in the 1970's. I think from Thurleigh air base, I once saw one in the company of a Spitfire and a Hurricane. It created great excitement in the school playground. 

Richie

27 minutes ago, Grant H said:

Another lovely, post-war design, Laurie

And yes, some nice detail outside,

but you have your work cut out, making that interior believable!

She will look great in-flight!

Hi grant. Tut tut not talked for a while. Hope you and the dogs are well.

Yes on the cockpit at the moment. Biggest problem is the smallness of it.

Not helped with the right eye knocked out near complete with a cataract.

1st Sept. hope will be sorted.

Take care Grant.

Laurie

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RichieW said:

Definitely interested, a Dove was often seen flying over Bedford in the 1970's. I think from Thurleigh air base, I once saw one in the company of a Spitfire and a Hurricane. It created great excitement in the school playground. 

Richie

Yes Richie the Dove & Heron are beautifully designed aircraft. De Havillands had that touch.

Sad a Heron is just sitting grounded on Jersey airport until some one comes along with a pot of money.

Laurie

• Like 1

Well, very best wishes for the cataract surgery. Should be a doodle...

Remember when eye surgery was a big deal?

VERY busy here- everyone wants to travel, and I've built a bit of a reputation, so lots of dogs.

Also, housemate is  in and out of hospital, (infection/diabetes)

And, you may remember,  I have been "off the bench" for the better part of a 18 months.

Covid refugees still in possession of my bench- cave.

So other priorities...

But, I'm glad I caught the beginning of this build, I will be checking back on your progress.

Can't wait to see how you populate that interior.

Just now, Grant H said:

Well, very best wishes for the cataract surgery. Should be a doodle...

Remember when eye surgery was a big deal?

VERY busy here- everyone wants to travel, and I've built a bit of a reputation, so lots of dogs.

Also, housemate is  in and out of hospital, (infection/diabetes)

And, you may remember,  I have been "off the bench" for the better part of a 18 months.

Covid refugees still in possession of my bench- cave.

So other priorities...

But, I'm glad I caught the beginning of this build, I will be checking back on your progress.

Can't wait to see how you populate that interior.

Good news Grant. Jersey is full of UK holiday makers. Look, almost, like normal.

Laurie

Sorry about the cataract, my brother had his done a couple of years back and it has made a big difference. He is an artist and so was so happy to have it done. Best of luck for the first. When I was a lecturer one my link areas was an Opthalmic ward, amazing the way the cataract surgery was dealt with so quickly. 

20 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Sorry about the cataract, my brother had his done a couple of years back and it has made a big difference. He is an artist and so was so happy to have it done. Best of luck for the first. When I was a lecturer one my link areas was an Opthalmic ward, amazing the way the cataract surgery was dealt with so quickly. 

Thanks Mr T. very nice comments & much appreciated. Meanwhile specs & magnifiers.

Laurie

• Like 2

Beavering away on the inside. No cabin seating. as the Dove will be suspended over the airport apron as if in flight

got to have missing pilots & passengers. Not that much of the passengers will be seen. But it would have been

cheating not  to paint the whole figure.

http://FlSZOF.jpg  7gbcKJ.jpg 7C0kxl.jpg 4BRxtw.jpg

Edited by LaurieS
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

God Bless Airfix railway figures (and DAPOL for repopping them!) they really are very nice even 65 years later and I use them all the time on dio builds!

Enjoying this build - Amodel kits dont fall together but they do have nice detail and reward the builder with something unusual 

Well done!

TT 

1 hour ago, kev67 said:

It is a nice kit, and builds quite easily, I did not find any problems, just allow plenty of weight in the front

Thanks Kev. Got my fishing sinkers handy. 🦐

Laurie

8 minutes ago, kev67 said:

I would imagine you have the famous sink mark in the centre section of the wing underneath 

Yes Kev. Matter of interest did you find the panel lines deep enough ? I use Stynelerez primer & XF Tamiya.

Laurie

1 hour ago, LaurieS said:

Yes Kev. Matter of interest did you find the panel lines deep enough ? I use Stynelerez primer & XF Tamiya.

Laurie

I don’t really like the stynelerez primer, I always use Tamiya grey fine primer

• 3 weeks later...

Well a little progress. But with both eyes in use in 2 weeks things are looking up.

This is a nice little kit & joint & joins are very accurate. No major difficulties.
Worst is the panel joints on the fuselage joint do not marry up with each other. But that can be rectified easily.

Laurie

http://oGXnZ7.jpg fdX5FZ.jpg 9fZQbC.jpg 

Edited by LaurieS
  • Like 7

Nice, Laurie!  I'm so glad you have both eyes back in service.  I presume you'll build the chairs around the passenger figures?  Also, the cockpit on the real thing is pretty tight, and properly reflected in the close placement of the two pilots.  "I'm not touching your thigh, Jeremiah!  Just trying to get at those mixture controls..."

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Nice, Laurie!  I'm so glad you have both eyes back in service.  I presume you'll build the chairs around the passenger figures?  Also, the cockpit on the real thing is pretty tight, and properly reflected in the close placement of the two pilots.  "I'm not touching your thigh, Jeremiah!  Just trying to get at those mixture controls..."

Just one eye Alex the other next week To complicated with the chairs so ditched them. In reality you can only see the head in the window.

To be honest 1/72 not my scale. Just had to build Jersey airport. 1/72 only way to get all the differnt aircraft.

My favourite by far 1/48.

Yes the cockpit is tight You had to be thin 🤣

Laurie