1/350 Carrier options

Evening all, 

I'm nearing the end of my current build -  1/350 Dunkerque, its my second  battleship I am  row and I fancy doing a carrier, I've a dozen other things in the stash but have my sights set on a flat top. Now rumour has it that they are a lot more work than they look, so question is any recommendations on first one to try?

I'm eyeing up;

Very fires Taiho which is due pretty soon but far from cheap (that said which of them really are!) 

Trumpys Hornet which is the cheapest option although not by much

Merits Ark Royal is another option

Or Trumpys Yorktown cv10,

Not sure if it really makes a difference which I go for but thought I'd seek the collectives input incase one is known as a difficult build 

Thanks

Sam

I hope this isn't excessively rivet-counteresque, but I'll just post this here to help you appraise the Trumpeter Hornet (red) against a generally more accurate Yorktown class hull form.

uss_enterprise_scratch_bow.jpg

This is sister ship USS Yorktown sinking. You're looking at the bow and she has capsized to port with her starboard bilge keel in the air (torpedo damage apparent).

NH-95576.jpg

So that's the start of it, and Trumpeter's kit gets worse the more you look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Simple solution to the hull - go for a waterline model 😀.  That said the profile doesn't even look right above the waterline and from what I've heard, as Jamie suggests,, the hull is only the start of the problem with that kit.

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Simple solution to the hull - go for a waterline model 😀.  That said the profile doesn't even look right above the waterline and from what I've heard, as Jamie suggests,, the hull is only the start of the problem with that kit.

It does appear as the cheapest option for a fleet carrier and I suspect the issues are the reason for that, I went for Graf Zeppelin in the end, still eyeing a couple others though, especially the yorktown cv-10,