1:32nd scale Junkers D.I

Hi all,
I thought you might like to see my 1:32 scale build of a Junkers D.I from 1918.
This model depicts a Junkers D.I that was involved in a flying accident, possibly during testing, on the 3rd of October 1918.
It was most likely repaired and possibly given the Ser No: 5188/18, before being operated by either MFJG in Belgium or with Kampfgeschwader ’Sachsenburg’, operating in the Baltic during 1919.

Design:
The lineage of this aircraft traces back to Professor Hugo Junkers, when in 1912 he patented a design for a thick, cantilever constructed initially of corrugated steel.
The first Junkers J.I and J.2 monoplanes were built but proved too heavy for operational use.
Subsequently, the Junkers J.3 was redesigned during 1916 using an aluminium alloy (Duraluminium).
However, it was shelved when production was switched to the Junkers J.1 biplane, which entered service in 1917.
Due to the positive response for the J.I, work recommenced on an armoured single seat monoplane, starting with the Junkers J.5 through to the J.9, which eventually became the operational Junkers D.1.
The maiden flight took place in May 1918 and further changes to the design saw 4 aircraft of the final version dispatched to the front in October 1918.
The design of this aircraft was revolutionary for its time, a monoplane of metal construction and with only cross brace rigging on the undercarriage.
The airframe was essentially of tubular  construction with corrugated Duraluminium covering.
Various engines were fitted during the prototype stages, but it seems the Daimler-Mercedes D.IIIa (180hp) or D.IIIaü (200hp) engines were fitted to operational aircraft.
Armament consisted of twin 7.92 mm LMG 08/15 ‘Spandau’ machine guns.

Operational background:
The Junkers D.I was designated as a ‘battle plane’, meaning its perceived operational role was to be that of ground attack, rather than as a fighter.
Only 40 aircraft were built between June 1918 and February 1919 and it seems of these, only 5 were delivered to the front.
It's not certain than any of these aircraft took part in actual combat, although there were reports from the British late in the war that there were ’encounters with German monoplanes that were covered with corrugated sheet’.
These 5 aircraft were eventually abandoned on the German landing field of Hombeek in Belgium.
However, the aircraft did see active service after the war, in action against the Bolshevik forces in the Baltic countries, serving with the ‘Kampfgeschwader Sachsenburg’ volunteer regiment, commanded by Gothard Sachsenburg, a former pilot of the German naval ’Marine Jasta’.
The regiment consisted of 3 squadrons, being FA413 (reconnaissance), FA416 (fighter) and FA417 (ground attack).
Both FA416 and FA417 operated the Junkers D.I as well as the Junkers CL.I (two seat version) aircraft.
A few aircraft were lost in combat, including a Junkers D.I being flown by Josef Jacobs.
When hostilities ceased, those aircraft remaining were found by Soviet forces, abandoned on an airfield near Riga. 

The model is 1:32nd scale and made by ‘Wingnut Wings’ (Kit No: 32065).

The list of changes/additions to the model are:

Engine:
Detailed with Nickel-Silver  and Brass rod or tube to replace Coolant pipes, ignition lead support tubes, sump vent pipe, induction manifold pre-heat pipes, forward air pump pipes.
Ignition leads at the Magneto’s and spark plugs are lead wire.
Spark plugs and fuel primers are from ‘Taurus Models’.

Rigging:
Rigging is 0.08 mm or 0.12 mm diameter mono-filament with ‘GasPatch’ 1:48th scale turnbuckles and 0.5 mm or 0.4 mm diameter blackened Brass tube.

Aftermarket:
‘GasPatch’ Spandau machine guns used to replace kit parts.
Pilot figure is Wings Cockpit Figures’ LSK leaning pilot (LSK 14),
Mechanic figure is ‘Copper State Models’ German ground crew (F32-012).
Propeller was the Axial wood laminated version from ‘ProperPlane’.

As usual I've created a downloadable build log in Adobe PDF format, for those who might want to refer to it for reference or build details. It contains full step by step descriptions of the model build, its modifications/changes and is also supported with illustrations and photographs. If viewed in Adobe Reader, each build log has book marked chapters/headings for easier navigation through the log.
My model website has the gallery page, so to view any model, go to the gallery and select it.  If it has a PDF build log, it will be available to download using the 'PDF' icon on that model photo page. For any photograph, just click the photo to enlarge or reduce the viewing size.

http://igavh2.xara.hosting

Mike

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Sandbagger
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 1

The engine compartment of the Junkers looks like a big step towards WWII technology. Very well detailed Mike! Such an appealing overall presentation - you're a veritable master of WWI vignettes.

• Like 1

Mike,

Hello.

Nice history and background  to your build.

Your minute   exceptional  detailing is IMPECCABLE  and

IMPRESSIVE. 

:wow:

:clap2:

Your Junkers  D.I  is STUNNING. 

like your build subjects.{German aircrafts).

Like your  aircrafts builds and  what choice of build is your next one Mike?

:worthy:

Edited by HOUSTON
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Sandbagger said:

Hi Alex,

I see you're just down the road from me - Coningsby.

By the way - your profile - "home of 627 Squaron" 🤔😆

Mike

I'm at Woodhall,I know that the Hole In The Wall Gang got here first but someone had to show folks where to look :poppy: .

Edited by Alex Gordon
Spelling
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sandbagger said:

😅 Actually I was querying '627 Squadron' - 617 surely 🤔

Mike

627 took up residence at Woodhall Spa in April 1944,their website here will give you all sorts of gen.If you haven't had a chance to look round the museum in their accommodation at Tattershall Thorpe I will highly recommend a visit.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2021 at 9:10 PM, Alex Gordon said:

627 took up residence at Woodhall Spa in April 1944,their website here will give you all sorts of gen.If you haven't had a chance to look round the museum in their accommodation at Tattershall Thorpe I will highly recommend a visit.

Hi Alex,

Well I didn't know that !!

The Thorpe site is just a mile or so away.

I've passed it many times but never been in.

Thanks for the gen,

Mike