Advice on paint cup size pls

bugle

I have been using a H +S  CRPLUS which has a 5ml cup. i have had no use of any other size. i now want to get another AB and want to try a different brand (reason at the bottom).

I am looking at iwata hi-line series and the cups choice will be 1.5ml or 7ml, so a little bigger OR fair bit smaller. i know a lot of it is down to preference but thats hard in my case.

i mainly do 1/35th armour,the odd 1/24th car and plain etc. not sure how much a pain will keep filling be over heavy or bulky cup? any advice would be great

the reason for wanting a change, the H+S i chose because the nozzle seemed robust assembling but i have had a couple split,my fault perhaps,needle never shows wear or damage. So always heard iwata is top brand full stop but heard the nozzles are delicate to tighten and if it does snap needs to be returned to fix. i feel confident enough noe not to do that. its just the choice of cup size. might have to move to another model with similar size cup BUT the high line bp ch seems great

I would go with the Hi-line HP-CH and its  9 ml (1/3 oz) cup. The larger cup is better suited to the CH's standard 0.3 mm needle. I have used my Eclipse HP-CS (the same airbrush without the MAC valve and paint limiter) for years and never found it wanting.

These days, I mostly model in 1/35 and 1/48.  Maybe, if I was to build regularly in 1/16 or larger, or large scale cars with massive gloss finishes I would add another air brush to my collection. Yet, for our usual type of modelling the HP-CH is right in that middle ground. The best all-rounder. 

I always premix my paints and store them in a re-used empty sealed paint jar consequently top up is not a big issue. It is not that frequent anyway. I prefer the nice balance in paint volume and ergonomics with this air brush. This air brush is also good for more detailed painting. Well it did me fine for a long time.

A few years later, I added the HP-B Plus with the small 1.5 ml (0.05 oz) cup. I love this air brush for smaller paint volumes and detail. As I black base, it also gets used a lot for marble coats providing a neater tight line (0.2 mm needle). It also has reasonable volumes for the bigger jobs. I still prefer the larger HP-CS for any volume jobs including gloss coats, undercoat, AFV colours and the larger needle for tricky tip-dry paints and metallics.

So my recommendation is to get the HP-CH (0.3 needle, 9 ml cup) and then later add the HP-CS (0.2 mm needle, 1.5 ml cup) if needed. 

Ray

There is a case for both - the large cup is good when you are doing large areas, not getting to close to the subject. The small cup comes into its own when working on detail, perhaps very close to the subject - a large cup feels cumbersome, gets in your way and can block your line of site. Except when priming or varnishing, I usually prefer using a small cup - but I should also say I work in 1/72.

Cheers

colin

• Like 1