Best Paint to use on a F-105 Thunderchief under the "Project lookalike" aluminium lacquer paint job?

JohnT

The title kind of asks the question really.  From what I've read a while back while while planning this one I recall the finish was mostly clear lacquer with a modest percentage of aluminium paste added.  It was discussed a few years back on here

I am wondering how best to replicate the finish.  The photos do show its not a uniform appearance after application but I suspect it might best be shown as a conventional paint job with tones .  That said it must have had a satin/glossy finish after the lacquer application??  And what paint brand etc to best replicate that?

TIA as always

bestest

John

I think you answered your own question. Go with an aluminum paint you like and finish with a semigloss clear coat. My metallic of choice would be Alclad, and I'd probably use Duraluminum because it has a slightly colder tone than their plain Aluminum.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seawinder said:

I think you answered your own question. Go with an aluminum paint you like and finish with a semigloss clear coat. My metallic of choice would be Alclad, and I'd probably use Duraluminum because it has a slightly colder tone than their plain Aluminum.

Yes, that does kind of make sense, thanks.  I've not used Alclad before and gather it does take getting used to.  I wonder how it responds to a varnish type coat over the top in a semi gloss/satin finish?  Paint mule required I think

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnT said:

Yes, that does kind of make sense, thanks.  I've not used Alclad before and gather it does take getting used to.  I wonder how it responds to a varnish type coat over the top in a semi gloss/satin finish?  Paint mule required I think

I think Alclad is very easy to use, especially the "normal" non-high-gloss shades. I do generally prime with Mr. Surfacer 1000. I'm definitely of the opinion that you don't need a gloss black undercoat for the "normal" shades. Come to think of it, I don't recall applying a solvent based clear coat over it, but it's pretty tough in general.

• Thanks 1

I'm building a 1/32 F - 100D at the moment, and for the aluminium finish ( FS 17178 ) I used Xtracolor  X142 , which is actually called aluminium. After spraying I coated it with a gloss clear cote before decalling, and will finish with a satin cote, which tones it down.

I used this method on my 1/48 F - 100F, and was very pleased with the end result. The other advantage with using Xtracolor is that you can paint other colours over it, if you need to, and it will not "Pull" up the silver finish, unlike some other brands, like Humbrol's metallic colours.🤙.

• Thanks 1

I find AK Interactive's "Xtreme Metal" paints easier to use than Alclad and more robust too. Alclad's Aqua Gloss is a good, non lacquer, clear coat that I use to seal in my NMF paints before decaling, applying washes etc. Because it's non lacquer (I think it's a polyurethane acrylic) it will not react with Alclad or AK XM paints and allows you to use a lacquer based clear coat over the top of it as your final finish (to the lustre of your choice).

I always test any new paints or combinations of paints and clear coats on a paint mule first.

Duncan B

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

I always test any new paints or combinations of paints and clear coats on a paint mule first.

Hi Duncan,

did you ever try combinations of Alclad (other than the Aqua Gloss) and AK Xtreme Metal on your paint mule? Is there anything in particular to take care of?

Thanks

Stefan

Just now, Sierra Mike Sierra said:

Hi Duncan,

did you ever try combinations of Alclad (other than the Aqua Gloss) and AK Xtreme Metal on your paint mule? Is there anything in particular to take care of?

Thanks

Stefan

Hi Stefan, if you mean have I ever used both Alclad paint and AK XM on the same model then yes I have. I always allow plenty of time between them though (even though they both flash off very quickly). Alclad seems to have a much hotter carrier than AK XM so that's the one that is most likely to cause you problems when spraying on top of another paint. I would always try to spray the Alclad first then seal it and then go with the AK XM, that might be overkill but I prefer to take more time than to have to go back and  try to fix any problems.

Testing on a paint mule before committing to your model is worth every minute spent.

Duncan B

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Testing on a paint mule before committing to your model is worth every minute spent.

Definitely, I  just "dedicated" an old Mirage 2000 and a F-5 (both 1/48 Italeri) to the paint mule job!  Thanks for the advice on the aggressiveness of the Alclad carrier.

Stefan

• Like 1