Dewoitine 520 and Citroen staff car

drdjp11

It's been a rough start - lots of family summer stuff and things breaking around the place - so no spare time, but I should be able to get underway on this soon:

spacer.png

• Like 9

Hopefully the rough start is at a finish.

Great choice of subject, the Dewoitine is a lovely looking aircraft as is the staff car, it makes me want to watch episodes of Maigrait.

Good luck with your build and welcome.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/14/2021 at 4:01 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi @drdjp11

Have you had a chance to make a start on these 2 yet ?

Lots of people myself included are looking forward to following this one.

Cheers Pat 

Due to a great deal of family activity (back to school plus a whole lot more), I haven't done more than get the parts out of the bags and clean up a few bits and pieces. Hoping to get going maybe next week when things slow down a bit. 

Thanks for the nudge :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Teeny tiny progress - getting the cockpit interior assembled and painted. (Don't worry - it should go faster from here.)

spacer.png

And underneath it you can see a new addition to the bench - the 18" x 24" Spitfire cutting mat from Tankraft.com.

Too nice to cut on just yet, though.

spacer.png

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Finally getting around to making so

me progress. Here's the cockpit assembly. Wasted a bunch of time on some photo-etch that turned out ok, but not amazing, and decided to just move on.

spacer.png

And then finally put together the major components:

spacer.png   spacer.png

spacer.png    spacer.png

And then finally, the major wing-fuselage join

spacer.png

The wing-fuselage join was a thing of beauty - perfect fit all around. All I had to do was skim the Tamiya extra thin along the join and it all just melted together.

Bit of a challenge to finish on time, but I'm done faffing with fiddly bits.

I have the Hataka French WW2 acrylic paint set, so I'm going to take them at their word for color accuracy.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Can you possibly post larger photos?

I'm an old geezer with not great eyesight and it's hard to see details in these small pictures.

Chris

I just updated the photo size to the max available (at least on the last post). Hope that helps...

I'm using blogger to host the pix and posting links here. I'll use a bigger size going forward...

Edited by drdjp11

OK, do I didn't notice the deadline got extended, which now makes finishing this much easier, and turns this into a brisk walk instead of a 100m sprint.

Here's a few more pix of progress.

Upper side with various appendages under way

spacer.png

And the underside - going with the flaps drooped, etc.

spacer.png

And the staff car finally going together - beautiful fit on both these vehicles.

spacer.png

Edited by drdjp11
  • Like 4

Got the seams sorted and the aircraft primed...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Instead of mixing up Tamiya paints for the colours I have the Hataka acrylic set for French aircraft of this era. I'm going to have to pick which of the three options I want to do now...

• Like 4

Citroen Staff Car major parts primed with Mr Surfacer 1200.

Man, that stuff goes on like silk with my H&S Evolution. If only all paints were that easy to shoot.

Note, the seats are brush painted light tan with a panel line wash to give them a lived-in look. The spray booth LEDs are not kind to that finish.

spacer.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Making progress on both the aircraft and staff car.

The D520 will be in the colourful markings of Pierre Le Gloan, famous for having shot down four German, seven British and seven Italian aircraft, having changed sides a couple of times. He died on Sept 11 1943 when he attempted a forced landing in his new ride, a Bell P-39 Airacobra, but forgot it had a belly fuel tank. 

spacer.png

And the staff car continues to make progress...

spacer.png

Time is tight, and I have 8 hours less, due to Seattle being 8 hours behind UK time, but I'm hoping the basics will be complete by the Sunday deadline.

Weathering is another story...

Edited by drdjp11
  • Like 1

Well, it has definitely been fun, and the GB was great motivation to keep pushing, but too many family obligations and medical issues (my wife had a total knee replacement 5 days ago) meant that I was running out of time. I was hoping to get decals on today and have some degree of completion, but the first couple of Tamiya decals just shredded on me, so as the D520 scheme is massively dependent on decals, I am wrapping up for now.

Here's a view of the latest progress:

spacer.png

The car is complete, but the license plate decals, which looked gorgeous, just broke up. The D520 features tons of broad red stripes over the yellow, and red/white/blue stripes over the rest of the aircraft.

The French color Hataka paints were a bit curious. They seem to really not like Mr Color Levelling Thinner - spattering pretty badly no matter what the pressure or airbrush (I have three). Switching back to my usual Tamiya acrylics, I had no issues. I tried the Hataka with Tamiya X-20A thinner and that seemed to work better. Live and learn. I hope I can figure them out because I do like their sets and the paint seems fine.

As only my fourth build since I restarted modelling, and my first BM GB, I relearned a lot and definitely got to practice a bunch of new techniques. I also learned not to let myself get bogged down by detail - PE was definitely not my friend on this. I'll be choosier about when to use it in future.

Anyway, thanks to @Wez and the co-hosts for the encouragement. Maybe I'll finish this off in the KUTA, provided there are no more disruptions around here.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, drdjp11 said:

The French color Hataka paints were a bit curious. They seem to really not like Mr Color Levelling Thinner - spattering pretty badly no matter what the pressure or airbrush (I have three). Switching back to my usual Tamiya acrylics, I had no issues. I tried the Hataka with Tamiya X-20A thinner and that seemed to work better. Live and learn. I hope I can figure them out because I do like their sets and the paint seems fine.

They work fine with Tamiya Tan top Lacquer thinner as well. I use that almost exclusively as its the only thing in abundance locally. 

• Thanks 1