SU-35 GWH 1/48 - I can't paint clean...

spacer.pngspacer.pngyspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

I had originally started this as a WIP thread, but after my first few posts I stumbled across Haneto's brilliant WIP thread, which is quite frankly the be-all-and-end-all of this particular model, making any of my attempts to be helpful completely worthless! 😂 But more usefully it gave me just about everything I needed to make the most out of this kit, as well as setting the standard ridiculously high...

I didn't quite emulate Haneto's awe-inspiring work. Not even near in some cases. But now its complete I can appreciate it more. This is my third ever aircraft (my paint skills come from painting GW minis) and this has been my biggest project to date.

Painted with acrylics (including the metal parts) from Vallejo, Citadel & Scale 75. I used the 'Russian aircraft' air paint set from Vallejo for the main base colours, although I used different colours from the set instead of the recommended 'flanker' paints, as I found them too dull and similar to one another. Weathering was done mostly via acrylic washes (the Vallejo washes are very good for manipulation with a wet brush/cloth for a good hour afterwards, despite being acrylic water based), although some enamel washes were used on the smaller parts. The exhaust and tail fins colour patina was partly done with the use of Tamiya weathering powders. Watercolour pencils were also used on various parts on the body. The 'lines' painted on the engine exhausts were done using inks (with the occasional help of a ruler!) A Molotow chrome marker was used on the brightest metal parts. I ended up using the Begemot decals with the set provided, as I had a few concerns over the GWH decals being a bit thick. Overall, this wasn't the case, and if you are considering the Begemot decals, be aware they are not a complete replacement, and you'll still need both. There is also a few errors in the Begemot decal guide, where the GWH one is by and large spot-on. The Begemot decals are generally much nicer and more detailed however.

As far as the kit goes, it is great and generally fits together very well, but a few issues to watch out for; firstly consider scribing over the panel lines, as some of them are very faint and can easily be lost durng the priming and painting stages. Part of the reason why this kit looks so weathered is due to having to repeat washes where the wash just wouldn't stick in the panel lines. I also had to re-draw all the lines on the metalic parts of the rear fins, which was a hassle and why those parts may look a bit odd. Secondly, be aware that there are some very tiny parts on the main body that can easily be broken when handling it. There is a missing antenna thing from each side of the wing where they've got caught somewhere and subsequently disappeared, most likely inside the vacumn cleaner. Haneto did suggest in his thread to replace them with brass rod, but that's a bit out of my comfort zone. Next, you will need to shave off a good couple of minimetres of the main body around the insertion of the engine nozzles as that is not a good fit if left untouched. Finally, be very very careful with the landing gear assembly. I made a very annoying balls-up, but thankfully it's barely noticeable due to everything else going on with the craft.

Once again this has come out more weathered than I originally intended, as I was going for a cleaner build. It's something for me to work on. My next couple of planned projects are to do a couple of scale 1/24 cars, which I am definatley not planning to weather! After that it should be an F-15e, also by GWH.

Well done if you made it this far and thanks for looking. Huge shout out to Haneto for all the help and inspiration his WIP thread provided me (if you have no idea of what I'm talking about, go and look for it NOW - also to see what a SU-35 should really look like!) 😂 Any questions feel free to ask!

• Like 58
  • Thanks 2

I love it!

Others may like the factory-fresh look, but (to me) this looks believable for an aircraft that has been operational in the outdoors for quite a while.

Exceedingly well done.  :clap2::clap2:

• Like 2

Thanks very much for all your likes & comments

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

Can those KH-29 beasts be carried in the tunnel on the real plane?

Looks like a very heavy loadout to me!

I .. honestly have no idea. This was the loadout printed in the instruction manual & I just went with it. The SU-35 is a beast of a fighter if that helps. It's bigger than a F-14 (certainly in 1/48 scale at least!)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Paintychops said:

I didn't quite emulate Haneto's awe-inspiring work.

Well, perhaps not quite @haneto style but I rather like your grimdark-style Su-35. I see it as an artistic commentary on the state of the world today. It also looks like fun!

9 hours ago, Paintychops said:

the wash just wouldn't stick in the panel lines

I find that is a problem with acrylic washes. Their surface tension prevents them flowing into finely engraved panel lines in the first place. I use oil or enamel washes partly for this reason. Alternatively, you can use a flow improver like a drop of washing up liquid to persuade acrylics into tight spaces.

• Like 1

Once again I am somewhat taken aback by the amount of positive comments this has recieved so thank you!

On 09/08/2021 at 09:02, Bertie Psmith said:

Well, perhaps not quite @haneto style but I rather like your grimdark-style Su-35. I see it as an artistic commentary on the state of the world today. It also looks like fun!

I find that is a problem with acrylic washes. Their surface tension prevents them flowing into finely engraved panel lines in the first place. I use oil or enamel washes partly for this reason. Alternatively, you can use a flow improver like a drop of washing up liquid to persuade acrylics into tight spaces.

Grimdark style of painting planes, I've gotta say I like that! Where 40k & scale modelling meet. In light of that, here is a hastily taken photo of my plague marines from the shelf above taking over my aircraft hanger, which is probably about as grimdark as this particular board gets..

spacer.png

Re. the acrylic washes, it was a bit of an experiment, but done so as I'd had issues with enamel washes previously. I think overall I've yet to find a wash that I would use repeatedly (that and I need more practice). That's a very good tip about the flow improver though, will have to remember that.

On 09/08/2021 at 18:04, Duncan B said:

Nice job, I'm currently well on with the painting of my Su-35 and I'm also following Haneto's build.

Duncan B

Best of luck with the rest of it. Make sure you post pics!

On 09/08/2021 at 09:42, bobsyouruncle said:

Superb looking machine. Looks like you've put a lot of thought and work into it and it's worked beautifully.

Thank you. It took around 3 months in total, with well over 100 hours spent. It very much became a labour of love in the end, but glad that it's done

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paintychops said:

plague marines from the shelf above taking over my aircraft hanger, which is probably about as grimdark as this particular board gets..

I refer you to my GW posts in the figures section! 

And I like the Plague Marines, and don't think they look out of place with the modern aircraft at all. 

• Like 1

Congratulations on the splendid finish!

And so happy my experience could be helpful for you guys. ;) 

Yes it was a very tiring built, considering the huge size and extremely complicated painting/weathering process of this aircraft.

But still your final result turned out to be so high level and makes all of your time and effort worth it!

I think the trick to do a "cleaner paint" could be the paint type: that is why I'm still a die-hard lacquer paint mania, haha!

Congratulations again, and take a good rest(from Flanker built) but really look forward your next Flanker built(once again? what about a Su-27?) :) 

Have a nice weekend!

Yufei

• Like 1