Mi-24A (1973) (Zvezda 1:72)

Hello colleagues!
I bring to your attention my next work, the Mi-24A (in common parlance "glass" or more often "veranda"). 
The source, pretty much without problems in the assembly, everything fits together perfectly, a lot of conversion parts, there were no special difficulties. 
Of the modifications: windshield wipers, seat belts, running boards, antennas, imitation hose in the chassis recesses and a small modification of the NV, RV and guided "Falang". Helicopter belonged to (373rd AFB, Kabul, June 1979) (P/N 315) 

Paint and varnish by brush. Paints: GSI Mr.Color urethane acrylic, Tamiya varnish, +plain pencil. Decals: Star, +Hippo. 
Enjoy the ride!

photo_1_1628444112.jpg photo_4_1628444112.jpg photo_7_1628444112.jpg photo_9_1628444112.jpg photo_11_1628444112.jpg photo_12_1628444112.jpg photo_13_1628444112.jpg photo_14_1628444112.jpg photo_17_1628444112.jpg photo_18_1628444112.jpg photo_20_1628444112.jpg photo_1_1628445360.jpg photo_3_1628445360.jpg

• Like 44

Excellent build... as usual!

Congrats.

JR

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Beautiful Mil-24A!

Saluti

Giampiero

10 hours ago, HansReggelsen said:

There is something so menacing about the 'Hind'! - and your model truly captures that! :thumbsup: 

I like it a lot! :goodjob:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

7 hours ago, jean said:

Excellent build... as usual!

Congrats.

JR

5 hours ago, fishplanebeer said:

Heli's are not my thing but this is quite superb and could easily pass for 48th scale with no problems.

Regards

Colin.

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Another good one Mic.

Greetings colleagues, thanks for the feedback!

20 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

Very nice work!  Well done

10 hours ago, Gazontipede said:

красивый стакан!

7 hours ago, Ryan Hothersall said:

Nice build. 

I like the early afghan markings. 

Colleagues, thanks for the feedback!

Hi Mic, I returned for a closer look at this helicopter. When I first saw the model I was very impressed by the work you had done on the main rotor system. I saw the black electrical wires from the rotor head to each rotor blade. Did you add these yourself? I think they monitor the nitrogen pressure in the blades as a way to detect cracks in the blade structure. It's a tiny detail but it interests me because I was once a helicopter technician. I did three tours on the Westland Wessex.

There are two 'mistakes' that almost all helicopter modellers and model manufacturers make. They are subtle and hard to explain. They are very hard to explain through an automatic translator. I will try. I will use simple English to help the translator.

First. Main rotor blades are flexible. They sag when the helicopter is parked. Your model shows this almost perfectly but I know you wanted constructive criticism so I will tell you how to improve. I will use some diagrams that I have made.

y4mrFpl3Y5r06AIToqWR6LNbqN23B5OrONKNFEBG

This is what I see in your photographs I think you have shown the blades with a constant curvature from root to tip. It is difficult to be sure from your photographs. Forgive me if you already know about this..

y4ms_UDAnQdj5kI8krJ0IWysoRrFtex276DYbYU9

On a real helicopter the curve is not constant. The rotor blade curves most at the root because almost all of the length blade is producing a bending force. The part of the blade near to the tip is almost straight because only a small part of the length is creating a bending force at that point.

y4mxc86g3TAh3A6mqaR0jbGEThyPni5ufLlYuY1v

Here is a demonstration of the principle using an electrical cable.

Your blades are beautifully painted and detailed. I have never seen them painted so well in 1/72 before. And the curve looks almost correct. I hope this additional information willbe useful for your next helicopter model. Check with photographs first because some newer composite rotor blades are stiffer than the older ones and may hardly sag at all.

The second 'mistake' Is that your model shows the rotor blades all at 72 degrees from each other. This is not correct for a fully articulated main rotor system. I will try to explain why.

y4mjD4j_j_ZVt48nrCJzzY85KXUOgRifweUcFOYm

Rotor blades are attached to the rotor head through a drag hinge. This has a vertical axis. This allows the blade to move forwards and backwards relative to the rotor head as it rotates. A damper is attached to make the movements smooth. I will not draw the damper again because it is too difficult. 🙂

y4mtt3r90XEWO2ndbDIUGP9YY4S94Sd9wD10sVpo

When the helicopter is in forward flight the passing air (slipstream) blows the advancing rotor blade back into the lagging position. When the rotor blade moves to the other side of the helicopter the slipstream blows it to the leading position. This evens out the drag on the rotor system. This reduces the strain on the rotor head. The rotor blades are only at an equal distance from each other when the helicopter is hovering or when the helicopter is on the ground with the rotor blades turning.

y4mbfLR3x-BRY4BjSZFYGUtOYqyFxa4i-9NqxM1r

When a helicopter is parked on the ground the rotor head is tilted forward by a few degrees. Gravity causes all of the rotor blades to sweep forward as far as they can travel on the drag hinges. It is very difficult to find photographs that show this. It is hard to see from the side and hard to photograph from below or above due to the need for a very wide angle lens. When a person stands on the top of a helicopter it is very easy to see.

y4mGYy5kPP1R5MPgM6nYRqJVLRF-T90byjOU22nd 

When we look down on a model helicopter we usually see this. (I have drawn a four bladed system in this post because the effect is clearer and I can not draw well.) This is incorrect.

y4mY94ekMI9VoXfSiidSuaRsRGc6jJiMPiB_msVu

This is what we should see. I have searched for an hour but I can not find a single photograph on Google which shows this effect clearly. Next time you are near an old helicopter, lie down on the ground and look up. Then you will understand! Even better is to get on top of one.

y4mhZwJskDrXrbqsCgEQOuKqM-cZnVjV1Mmi7qqp

Here is the main rotor head of a Wessex helicopter, looking forwards towards the nose. The oil reservoir in the centre feeds all of the drag dampers.

y4mFrNGz8uruYwU-f2orUADK780-g_MKfRIp5NEO

'A' is the drag hinge. The angle between the rotor head (green line) and the blade (blue line) is the effect I have been trying to describe.

Note that this only applies to helicopters with articulated rotor systems. Rigid rotor systems such as the Apache do not have drag hinges and the blades do not sweep forwards when parked! They hardly droop either.

It is difficult to cut the blades at the hinge and reposition them. I do not have the skills to do this. I have seen a lot of your work, Mic, and I believe that you 

do have those skills. Now you have some information to help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2