F-16C External fuel tanks with feet?

Troffa

There are a few video's doing the rounds from the Spotter's community at RAF Mildenhall in Suffolk this week, this one in particular shows some 31st Fighter Wing F-16C's from Aviano. 

The jet's are on the second leg of their Ferry flights to Alaska, to take part Cope Thumbtack  or Distant Fruitbat at the less than balmy Eilson Air Force Base.  

The Jet's are sporting fuel tanks? Baggage pods? on their mid wing stations (3&7) and they look like they have four stumpy "Feet" on their lower sides.

I have never seen these before, and Verlinden's "Lock on", Coremanns and Deboeck's  "Uncovering" offer no answers.

See 39 seconds into this You Tube video for what I mean.  Any ideas folks?  Thanks for looking.

Troffa 🙂 

Pig's Trotters at 39 seconds? :-)

This is a better Video, but it's on Facebook so you may not wish to click.

James Feneley Facebook spotters video shows the tanks with feet from the outset. Great Video too.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

Look like baggage/travel pods, most likely made fron old napalm canisters.

Google

The "feet" are for them not falling over on the ground...

I did think they looked like the pods you mention- I think they come in the Hasegawa 1/48 Kits ( Sprue F! ) - but I doubt that if these are those old cans that a re-manufacture for the 'Feet' would be undertaken, maybe a new pattern and production?  It's all good fun though- thanks for taking the time to respond. 🙂 

1 hour ago, Troffa said:

I did think they looked like the pods you mention- I think they come in the Hasegawa 1/48 Kits ( Sprue F! ) - but I doubt that if these are those old cans that a re-manufacture for the 'Feet' would be undertaken, maybe a new pattern and production?  It's all good fun though- thanks for taking the time to respond. 🙂 

No idea actually!

But 8 weld lines and 4 blocks of steel, or 8 holes + 8 screws should be within the capabilities of most maintenance workshops... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

No idea actually!

But 8 weld lines and 4 blocks of steel, or 8 holes + 8 screws should be within the capabilities of most maintenance workshops... 

I've had a look at those video's and I think you're right- all but one of the cabs has the baggage pods with feet- one of the pods is in a bright colour unit scheme., but the do look like additions to the old pods. An interesting detail for the modeller. 

That's epic! That last picture in particular seems to show a 1 inch strap attached to both sides of the pod with a flattened section for the pod to rest on. 

Thanks ever so much for hunting these out and sharing them.

I suspect my next 1/48 F-16 will be off on his travels 🙂

• Like 1

Baggage pods mod'ed to sit flat on tarmac/hardstandings

Causes less damage. We did something similar for the Harrier fleets , don't think it was widely used outside RAFG though.

• Like 1