Air Inter Vickers Viscount

zebra

I've got several builds in mind for this GB, most of which probably won't happen, but I'll start with a British classic in French colours - a Vickers Viscount in the colours of the French domestic airline Air Inter, using the 1/144 Eastern Express kit and decals from F-DCAL.

Here's the shot of the sprues and decals:

1:144 Viscount 700

It looks like quite a nice kit, so I'm surprised I haven't seen more of them built on BM. There's a cockpit interior, which won't be visible on my model as I'll be using window decals, and I'm a little surprised that they've given us clear parts for the cabin windows rather than decals. I've made a start by filling in the cabin windows, since I'm using window decals, but not got further than that yet.

more soon
Julian

• Like 12

Nice one, the first aircraft I ever flew on was a Viscount, that Air Inter scheme is quite attractive too.

Welcome to the GB and good luck with your build.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Wez said:

the first aircraft I ever flew on was a Viscount

Same here - until I was 7 the only aircraft I'd flown on were British Airways Viscounts, we flew on them a couple of times a year to visit my grandparents in the Isle of Man, and later on got to fly in them again with Manx Airlines. One of my favourite aircraft - not just a good looker, I'll never forget the sound they made. If this kit was an 800 I'd be saving it to build in Manx or BA colours but as it's a 700 Air Inter can have it!

• Like 1

Windows filled in, nose undercarriage attached and fuselage assembled. Everything fits fairly well, it needs to be treated as a short run kit (no locating pins) but no real problems so far. I've also assembled the fin (why do these Russian and Ukrainian manufacturers insist on splitting fins, wings etc down the middle of the rudder/aileron/elevator???) and started on the engine nacelles. Apart from the locating pins, the other difference between this and a more mainstream kit is the number of sub-assemblies that would be one part in a mainstream kit and are 3 or 4 in this one! The nacelles are a good example - two halves and a front part. But it all seems to go together ok. 

Here's where I'm up to - I've slapped a lot of Mr Surfacer 500 on it but it's not as bad as that looks!

Viscount WIP

thanks for looking 

Julian

• Like 11

Following with interest Julian.

I suspect one reason why you haven't seen more builds is the UK price. I don't know what the kit costs in Australia but Hannants in the UK sell it for £46.70. F-RSIN's very nice Viscount 700 is £18.99, less than half the price.

Dave G

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

I suspect one reason why you haven't seen more builds is the UK price. I don't know what the kit costs in Australia but Hannants in the UK sell it for £46.70. F-RSIN's very nice Viscount 700 is £18.99, less than half the price.

This was actually one of the Ray's 26 reboxes. I can't remember what I paid for it but it was certainly a lot less than the Hannants price. Postage to Australia was pretty reasonable too. UK prices for EE kits are crazy, pretty much the same in Australia. I occasionally buy them direct from Russia - prices on the PAS website are much lower.

More progress today: Fuselage seams cleaned up, fin fitted and blended in, and wings assembled. The wings needed some minor fettling to go together, but seem to have aligned quite nicely. Some cleaning up of seams needed, and I'll fit the engines before I fit the wing to the fuselage, but I couldn't resist dry-fitting the wings:

Viscount WIP

There's a pretty huge gap at the wing root, but it also looks like there isn't enough dihedral and fixing that will close (or at least reduce) the gap. The centre section aligns to the fuselage very nicely indeed - blending it in to the fuselage is going to be straightforward.

• Like 11

Engines on and wings attached. I attached the engines to the wings before attaching the wings to the fuselage - I thought it would be easier to align them with each other and to clean up the joints, particularly for the inboard engines, without the fuselage in the way. Engines went on ok, but needed a bit of filler. I dealt with the wings by only gluing the belly section at first. I then gave it a bit of time to set before pulling the wingtips up and holding them in place with masking tape while I glued the rest of the joint, and left it to set for a while. This made it look disconcertingly like it was going to have far too much dihedral, but once I removed the tape and released the tension it settled down to something looking like the right dihedral, and also narrowed the huge gaps in the wing roots. I've filled the remaining gaps with Mr Surfacer, next job will be to clean that up, then it's tailplanes and undercarriage and into the paint shop.

Viscount WIP

cheers

Julian

• Like 10

On 8/23/2021 at 3:46 AM, modelling minion said:

Taking shape very nicely Julian.

Thanks Craig!

It's grown a pair of tailplanes and has had a coat of Mr Surfacer. It's in the garage drying right now - forgot to photograph it. All being well I'll start painting tomorrow. 

cheers

Julian

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Decals on. The F-DCAL decals are nice but presumably were designed for the F-RSIN kit, and they aren't a perfect fit for this one - I couldn't get the door outlines to sit perfectly over the engraved door outlines. It won't be noticeable unless you're up close.

Viscount WIP

cheers

Julian

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

Undercarriage and wheels on. I interpreted the instructions as allowing the main undercarriage to be added after the wings are assembled - I was wrong! - but after a bit of trimming of a couple of parts it worked out ok. 

Viscount WIP

Undercarriage doors and props left to do. The props are very fragile - I've broken four blades off already - so I've decided I'm not going to mask and paint the blade tips, that's just a recipe for disaster! I'm going to use a Molotow chrome pen for the spinners and leave the blades grey (already painted) and that will do.

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Mike Esposito said:

Beautiful Viscount. Just pulled the trigger on the EE kit. Mostly inspired from your great build. 

What are the horizontal lines on the rear cockpit windows? 

Thanks Mike. The lines on the rear windows are the window frames which broke the window up into smaller panels on the early Viscount 700s, replaced by a single clear panel on later versions.

Finished! The props were a bit problematic - as well as the fragility, one of them pinged off into the distance and was consumed by the carpet monster - so drastic action was needed and I made new ones on the 3D printer. These seem to be much more robust - certainly easier to handle - than the kit props. Anyway here's one photo, more will be in the gallery shortly:

1/144 Viscount

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 6