Boulton Paul Defiant Mk.I, Airfix, No. A05128, 1/48

Good day all.

I didn't start a WIP for this build, because I wasn't planning on showing it, it was supposed to be a crashtest dummy for some of my training, but it turned out to be rather sweet, despite the wrong colours.

Since there's no WIP, I would like to refer you to a blog post, which you don't need to see, unless you wonder about the construction phase or something. But other than that, the photos of the finished model are here:

IMG-20210808-103605.jpg IMG-20210808-103515.jpg IMG-20210808-103459.jpg IMG-20210808-103359.jpg IMG-20210808-103327.jpg IMG-20210808-103248.jpg IMG-20210808-103100.jpg IMG-20210808-103132.jpg

I know it looks wrong, but I kind of enjoyed building it and I learned new things from it. :)

Edited by nasosrr
  • Like 25

I think it looks great! The main thing is. “ it looks like a Defiant when it is finished”. You can get so caught up in having every little detail

perfectly executed that you never will finish a kit or be happy with it for that matter.  ( I experience this quite often which is why I have

very little to show for it.)  After seeing several Airfix Defiants finished on line I have decided that at some point I must get one (likely 1/48th).

At the moment I have too many other irons in the fire to try and go after this bird. I read your blog on the build and it was well written too.

Thanks for sharing your model with us.

Todders

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Todders said:

I think it looks great! The main thing is. “ it looks like a Defiant when it is finished”. You can get so caught up in having every little detail

perfectly executed that you never will finish a kit or be happy with it for that matter.  ( I experience this quite often which is why I have

very little to show for it.)  After seeing several Airfix Defiants finished on line I have decided that at some point I must get one (likely 1/48th).

At the moment I have too many other irons in the fire to try and go after this bird. I read your blog on the build and it was well written too.

Thanks for sharing your model with us.

Todders

Thank you Todders, your comment was very kind.

I can totally recommend this kit to you. It might be worth adding some aftermarket goodies on it, although much of it wouldn't be visible, because of the tight cockpit.

Most of the Defiants I've seen online are the NF version. I don't particularly like all-black aircraft, so I went for the camouflaged version instead. Then, the one build of this version I found, has black undersides. So, all in all, I am not sure if anything I've done has any historical accuracy, but honestly, I don't mind. As I wrote in the blog post, I enjoyed building the model and I mainly enjoyed painting it. The new things I tested on it, I can apply using different colours next time and paint a historically accurate camouflage. So I don't regret anything about it.

My next build (already on the bench) is a Russian P-39 Airacobra, and I plan on showing a WIP for it.

If I am allowed a suggestion, DO show your models here. As far as I am concerned, there are two categories of modellers showing their work on forums (or fora): People like me, who get help from others and get better at building their models thanks to this interaction. And then there are modellers in a totally different level, who help others by posting their work, because we get inspired and learn from their techniques, technical data or the research they've done on a subject. Regardless of which category you belong to, posting your work is good for someone. :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I do like that holly-like camouflage demarcation line. It's charming.

I think I will have to disappoint you, that "halo" doesn't exist in real life. I'm guessing it's something that was created during the image manipulation I did in order to make the photos brighter. I'll take some new photos in better light conditions and post them. :)

4 minutes ago, nasosrr said:

I think I will have to disappoint you, that "halo" doesn't exist in real life. I'm guessing it's something that was created during the image manipulation I did in order to make the photos brighter. I'll take some new photos in better light conditions and post them. :)

Holly. Not halo. Kinda spiky with some concave curves in the green, like holly leaves. I might do a Xmas special like that. lol. The dark lines look groovy too but I knew what they were when I saw the imgbb page. (When I said demarcation line i just meant the green/brown transition)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Holly. Not halo. Kinda spiky with some concave curves in the green, like holly leaves. I might do a Xmas special like that. lol. The dark lines look groovy too but I knew what they were when I saw the imgbb page. (When I said demarcation line i just meant the green/brown transition)

I think we are talking about the same thing, the yellow shadow between the camouflage colours, yes. It's called chromatic aberration and I believe it's because of the low quality lense of my phone. Looks cute, but it's not there on the real model. :)

11 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

This is funny. Yes I know about the lines. Forget the lines. Just look at the shape of the green, especially on the starboard wing. Like a holly leaf, no?

Hello Bertie.

Ok, I understand now. Yes, this was funny and the misunderstanding was entirely my fault. I apologise. I just didn't know what a holly leaf is and when I googled it, I saw this lighter contour around the leaf in many photos, so I still thought you were talking about the same thing as I did.

Like I said, my mistake, I'm sorry for the confusion and the frustration I obviously caused you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tempestwulf said:

Save for the green being a bit vibrant, it's a great looking Defiant nasosrr. Airfix did a great job designing this kit and it filled a real niche in the market. You did great, be proud.

Thank you mate, very kind of you. I am happy about the technical part of the build, it's executed in a technically correct way (for my standards anyway). And I'm also glad it decorates my office at work now. :)

Great work! It's a lovely Defiant - you've built a super model there, and if you're not entirely happy with the colours that's perfectly okay!

The bottom line is that the build is excellent and the finish weathering is spot on!

Looking forward to seeing the 'Cobra!

Cheers,

Mark

On 08/08/2021 at 17:13, nasosrr said:

Most of the Defiants I've seen online are the NF version. I don't particularly like all-black aircraft, so I went for the camouflaged version instead. Then, the one build of this version I found, has black undersides.

likely cobblers.  I have seen profiles of a Polish crewed Defiant with camo uppers and black undersides, but the photos don't back this up.

OK, see here http://www.polishsquadronsremembered.com/307/307_aircraft.html

note the comments regarding the profile.

The other scheme for the Defiant is the Air Sea Rescue (ASR) 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235078039-148th-airfix-bp-defiant-mki-277-asr-sqn-shoreham-1942/

So, all in all, I am not sure if anything I've done has any historical accuracy, but honestly, I don't mind. As I wrote in the blog post, I enjoyed building the model and I mainly enjoyed painting it. The new things I tested on it, I can apply using different colours next time and paint a historically accurate camouflage. So I don't regret anything about it.

For more info on Defiant camo and markings

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Camouflage-Markings/Boulton-Paul-Defiant

this is one of a series, all are up in the link. Overall they are still one of the best primers on the subjects concerned.  

If I am allowed a suggestion, DO show your models here. As far as I am concerned, there are two categories of modellers showing their work on forums (or fora): People like me, who get help from others and get better at building their models thanks to this interaction. And then there are modellers in a totally different level, who help others by posting their work, because we get inspired and learn from their techniques, technical data or the research they've done on a subject. Regardless of which category you belong to, posting your work is good for someone.

Indeed.  I frequently encourage new members to post up build threads, as you get feedback, and see your work in a common context.  

I've only recently got around to, you know, actually finishing models as opposed to my 'stalled in boxes' masterworks.  

Nothing flashy, brush painted, but done.

My next build (already on the bench) is a Russian P-39 Airacobra, and I plan on showing a WIP for it.

can be a complex subject, and there is a fair amount of cobblers out there...

I suggest have a read here

https://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/lendlease/p-39/p-39.html

note that Michal Sekula did the markings in the Eduard Bella dual combo of VVS p-39's, (if you look the kit up you find many of the schemes in the link,  and that the profiles are backed by the reference photo.  Many of the reasons as to why a specific plane is depicted were the subjects of discussion threads in the linked site.

Worth mentioning what scheme or plane you are planning , as more and more photos are coming to light, and you maybe able to find images of your chosen subject. 

As for colours.... I've recently found myself rather unhappy with the RAF acrylics I have....  and am resigned to mixing them now  :( 

If you use enamels (I've not checked the blog link as yet) then Colourcoats are the way to go.

The Defiant model looks great as well. 

:goodjob:

PS - quick look at the blog post.  

Humbrol 90 is a decent match for Sky, it's a very pale yellowy-green. despite being called 'duck egg blue' or other things.  

Sky, and it's introduction just before the battle Of Britain IS a complex subject.  Please ask if you want some links on this.  

Humbrol 29 is OK for Dark Earth, I describe DArk Earth as like caramel, a  mid ochre brown with a subtle green hue when new.

Humbrol 30 is blinkin' awful for RAF Dark Green, (being a distinct blue green)  Humbrol 116 is far better. RAF Dark Green is low saturation dark olive green.

Why Airfix keep foisting H30 on unsuspecting modellers is beyond me... it seems that over fifty years ago it was a decent match, then they changed the formula and it's been wrong ever since.  I have remains of models from 1975 done with H30 and it was a blue green THEN. 

Tamiya XF-52 is NOT a match for H29 dark earth.   XF-61...I have two jar, both are different. Neither is that close to RAF Dark Green,. being darker.   XF-81 is now what Tamiya recommend.

XF-21 is Tamiya Sky, but is a bit dark.

XF-71 is useable for RAF cockpits, but is a bit too green.  It's way to dark from undersides.....

Hope of use.

Edited by Troy Smith
added a PS
  • Like 1

Wow, I signed in to check a totally different thing and got overwhelmed by your replies guys. Let me please take them in right order and answer:

@2996 Victor Thank you Victor. The P-39 has just started, but I went back to work this week (no more relaxing holidays) and it's going to take a little time till I've gotten to the point where I have something to show. :) Read a bit further down, I'm writing a little more about the model.

@Troy Smith Troy, how can I thank you for the time you spent on answering? It's not enough to say that I appreciate it very much!!! I've got some detailed comments to make:

Your links are awesome. They almost make me want to build a new Defiant, in the ASR scheme. And get it right this time, with help from your info.

I am building this kit of the P-39 (I think it's the one you mentioned too). The only problem with it is that I can't choose which two aircraft to depict. All look amazing and they are all so exciting!!!
Finding real images of the particular a/c I will build can be really nice when deciding how much weathering I will do. :) Thanks for that too.

I liked your comment about "unsuspecting" modellers. Since you read my blog post you saw that I consider myself one of these. I've been building models for almost 25 years now, but somehow I still can't convince myself to immerse into the tons of reference available on my subjects. I think I lack patience and motivation to do it. But, as I also wrote in the blog, I am thankful for all of you guys who do it and are willing to share your knowledge.

So, DEFINITELY of use and thank you SO much for this!!! :)

@F-32 Thanks mate. I see we have one more interest in common, motorsports. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1