Finnair Fokker F27 Friendship in 1/144

Fokker F27 Friendship was a turboprop airliner built by the Dutch aircraft manufacturer Fokker. The maiden flight of the plane took place in November 1955 and in total 586 Friendships of different sub-types were built until 1987. Finnair operated three F27's in the 1970-80's. They replaced the Convair 440 Metropolitans of the airline in the short domestic routes. The Finnish Air Force's Transport Wing used a couple of F27's, as well.

The only kit available in 1/144 scale was Doyusha's  F27 which I managed to buy from a Japanese mail order firm. In a nutshell the kit was very plain and simple, lacking a lot of details. The building of the model was straightforward but adding all the details (antennas, air scoops, anti-collision lights, etc.) was time consuming. The biggest challenge, however, was to rebuild the main landing gears and wheels which in kit were totally out of scale and shape.  The laser printed decals for Finnair's Friendship I ordered from the Finnish manufacturer Arctic Decals. They were excellent and went on the surface without any problems. To avoid any scratches I coated them first with Liquid decal film.

I painted the white areas of the fuselage with Tamiya's Fine Surface primer which I then coated with Tamiya's clear gloss spray. The underside of the fuselage, the wings and the landing gears were painted with Xtracolor light grey X139.  For smaller details I used Vallejo acrylics and Humbrol enamels.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png6

• Like 24

Just now, keefr22 said:

Another little beauty Einar, really nicely built and finished - and I do like those props, very neat!

Keith

Thanks Keith!

Einar

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Nicely done, a very handsome result, I do wish Doyusha would re-release this, it would be good to have an alternative to the overpriced & not quite accurate EE ones.

Steve.

Thanks Steve!

Einar

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

That's what I've been waiting for. Oh those memories. Thank you for my nostalgia. It's a beauty of a model.

Thanks Bertie!

Einar

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

That's what I've been waiting for. Oh those memories. Thank you for my nostalgia. It's a beauty of a model.

Thanks Bertie!

Einar

That's really cool!

I'm a big F-27 fan, which makes me a little fussy about getting the look right.

You have got yours to look right on the money with the stance and proportions I know and love.  :clap2::clap2:

Makes me wish Airfix would do another production run on their 1/72 kit.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kapam said:

That's really cool!

I'm a big F-27 fan, which makes me a little fussy about getting the look right.

You have got yours to look right on the money with the stance and proportions I know and love.  :clap2::clap2:

Makes me wish Airfix would do another production run on their 1/72 kit.

Thank you very much!

Cheers,

Einar

30 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Gorgeous model, it does look very smart in the Finnair livery, great work. 

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Einar