Those Damned Humpbacks - SM.79 Airfix 1/72 'Vintage Classics'

39 minutes ago, IanC said:

I enjoyed building mine. It's a bit sparse on detail as you'd expect, and the cowl flaps aren't very well defined but it goes together really well. I added an etched cockpit set as the canopy is beautifully clear. If you'll permit, here's a shot of it (with aftermarket decals):

spacer.png

Thanks, Ian. Looks great; a neat build. Your black paint has a good sense of realism to it. I don’t mind adding the detail so I might grab one.

• Like 1

Having recently built this model myself, I am well aware of how much work into this! Pretty amazing! Well done, @Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen!

My WIP is below, all OOB and even then it was a real fight to get it all together, and I didn't dare leave hatches open like you did! Did you consider just mounting one torpedo or was there a reason you did both (I understand they rarely carried two)?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Having recently built this model myself, I am well aware of how much work into this! Pretty amazing! Well done, @Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen!

My WIP is below, all OOB and even then it was a real fight to get it all together, and I didn't dare leave hatches open like you did! Did you consider just mounting one torpedo or was there a reason you did both (I understand they rarely carried two)?

Great job on the kit. I wish I'd done the cowlings like yours (bronze) and had wanted to change them after spraying them red/white but left them in the end.

With the torpedos, I decided I would just build what was there. Historical accuracy was not the aim on this one! :) 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

With the torpedos, I decided I would just build what was there. Historical accuracy was not the aim on this one! :) 

Fair enough. Historical or not, it looks great with two and you've done a gorgeous job finishing them in glossy black!

• Thanks 1

Superb job on this, the paint looks excellent.  I never built this kit as a kid, I have Italeri's more modern rendition to do sometime.

As for older Airfix moulds I recently built the 70's Mossie which wasn't bad but their re-box last year of the Marauder from the same period wasn't so good to put together.

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Like 1

Bravissimo signore, that's a stunning example of the type. I am deeply envious of your painting skills, I have the Italeri kit in the stash but I'm afraid it's going to be safe-as-houses all-grey for me!

Edited by TonyOD
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Bravissimo signore, that's a stunning example of the type. I am deeply envious of your painting skills, I have the Italeri kit in the stash but I'm afraid it's going to be safe-as-houses all-grey for me!

I had nightmares about painting it! I joke of course, but I learnt a few things on this one. I had a really bad experience trying to get the first mottle colour (green) on, in that the brush was sputtering paint everywhere or just dumping it out the nozzle when it felt like it; there were a lot of touch ups with the dark yellow. Eventually, after I had done the entire camo, and needed to do some further touch ups, I thought ‘I’ll disobey the airbrush rules’ and whacked the pressure up by 10 psi or so and this immediately made life easier! I had been on around 15-20 psi with a 0.3mm needle and 25 psi or so made a massive difference. May sound obvious to some but lesson learned for me that it’s not always about low pressure for detail and to experiment more.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

That is a wonderful job on that old kit. Having built one a few years ago I can certainly appreciate the work you have done. Painting is superb and I love how you have achieved the concentric cowling bans - just brilliant!!

Thanks! Achieved by spraying the white first, then masking over the outer white band with flexible Tamiya masking tape (the vinyl stuff), then using a compass with a blade, created a circle for placing over the front of the cowling. This left the unmasked area ready for the red band which was then hit with a base of yellow, then the red.

A wonderful job on that old kit. I built one some decades ago and it's among the older kits that I still have in my collection and it's hard to believe yours is the same kit! Yours has been superbly finished indeed. Well done.

Just one note. I did the same and put both torpedoes underneath but I later found out it was rare to do so due to how much it degraded the aircraft's performance and so, we could say that the standard load would have been just one torpedo.

Miguel

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Mig88 said:

A wonderful job on that old kit. I built one some decades ago and it's among the older kits that I still have in my collection and it's hard to believe yours is the same kit! Yours has been superbly finished indeed. Well done.

Just one note. I did the same and put both torpedoes underneath but I later found out it was rare to do so due to how much it degraded the aircraft's performance and so, we could say that the standard load would have been just one torpedo.

Miguel

Thanks, Miguel. There is definitely something more satisfying about getting the older moulds put together. I read elsewhere about the torpedos whilst preparing to build it and another forum member mentioned it too. I built this in keeping with my memory of it when I was a kid. I did think as I was gluing them on that I wouldn’t want to try to take off with two!

• Like 1