My Matchbox Problem....

thommo

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

Matchbox kits here: http://www.matchboxkits.org/

Chris

Thanks for the link, Chris - what a brilliant site!

It looks like the Matchbox Lancaster was released in 1979: I'd say "our" Lanc predates that, but I really can't be absolutely certain. And it's 200 miles away in my Mum's loft :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi thommo,

Three more superb builds there! I particularly like the Gladiator, but they're all excellent.

What era is the Lancaster kit? The only reason I ask is that my Dad built a Lancaster as one of his evening armchair builds when I was very young. I'd always assumed it was Airfix, but given that most of his kits were Matchbox, I wonder now if the Lanc is, too.

Kind regards,

Mark

Hi Mark

The first Matchbox Lancaster was 1979 according to my research.  However the one I built with my nephew was the 'blackbox' 1982 version.

Here's a few more of my Matchbox builds:

a9UaMid.jpg

5fLv0Io.jpg

• Like 16

5 hours ago, thommo said:

The first Matchbox Lancaster was 1979 according to my research.  However the one I built with my nephew was the 'blackbox' 1982 version.

Hi thommo,

I'm not certain after all this time, but I'd say our Lancaster model was from before 1979, as my Dad was self-employed by then and working very long hours. I can't remember what the squadron codes are, which would help confirm it.

More wonderful builds - with care and skill they can produce really lovely models. More please!

Cheers,

Mark

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi thommo,

I'm not certain after all this time, but I'd say our Lancaster model was from before 1979, as my Dad was self-employed by then and working very long hours. I can't remember what the squadron codes are, which would help confirm it.

More wonderful builds - with care and skill they can produce really lovely models. More please!

Cheers,

Mark

Yeah, I'm just going on that Matchbox link above.

ScaleMates also says the 1st Matchbox Lancaster was put out in 1979.  So maybe the one your Dad built was another brand?

OK, these are my last 2 that I've actually built. The rest will forever live in their boxes......maybe......expect a duplicate that I'll use for the Group Build.  I'm thinking one of the smallest ones because my cabinets are chockas.

zfysDGo.jpg

HhfPwry.jpg

• Like 12

Watching the models and boxes here sure brings back memories as Matchbox kits were also my start in the hobby.. they were sold for cheap in many shops and supermarkets and my first ones were bough at a typical seaside shop, one of those that sell everything that a family on holiday by the sea may need, from newspapers and magazines to sun lotions, from beach towels to slippers, from utensils to toys, that in those days also included model kits. Matchbox kits weren't the only ones available in early '80s Italy as other similar shops had airfix kits and some even Tamiya tanks and figures while Esci and Italeri kits were common in larger shops, but the little multicolour molded kits from the Lesney group were the cheapest by far so no surprise that a good number came into my hands. I still have a number of Matchbox kits in my stash and I'll happily build one for the forthcoming GB.

Where my story differs from that of many others is in the way I see them today: really except for a few kits, that are mainly of subjects not otherwise available, I have no particular interest in them, I sure still love Matchbox for what they have been in my past and I'll always do but never really feel the urge to build one of these kits as I did in those early days. If I want a simple, relaxing build I tend to grab more modern kits, generally one of those Japanese shake and bake boxes...

• Like 6

1 hour ago, thommo said:

What a great site! Enjoy :) 

1 hour ago, thommo said:

ScaleMates also says the 1st Matchbox Lancaster was put out in 1979.  So maybe the one your Dad built was another brand?

I've had it in my mind for longer than I can remember that it was an Airfix kit, but I really don't know - I need to find the model and do a bit of research, I think!

1 hour ago, thommo said:

OK, these are my last 2 that I've actually built. The rest will forever live in their boxes......maybe......expect a duplicate that I'll use for the Group Build.  I'm thinking one of the smallest ones because my cabinets are chockas.

Two more lovely builds! Thanks for sharing them :) I built the Tempest as a youngster, but as I already had a Revell Mk.V, I built the Matchbox one as a Mk.II in the Indian Air Force markings.

I'm looking forward to seeing your entry in the GB!

Cheers,

Mark

16 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Watching the models and boxes here sure brings back memories as Matchbox kits were also my start in the hobby.. they were sold for cheap in many shops and supermarkets and my first ones were bough at a typical seaside shop, one of those that sell everything that a family on holiday by the sea may need, from newspapers and magazines to sun lotions, from beach towels to slippers, from utensils to toys, that in those days also included model kits. Matchbox kits weren't the only ones available in early '80s Italy as other similar shops had airfix kits and some even Tamiya tanks and figures while Esci and Italeri kits were common in larger shops, but the little multicolour molded kits from the Lesney group were the cheapest by far so no surprise that a good number came into my hands. I still have a number of Matchbox kits in my stash and I'll happily build one for the forthcoming GB.

Where my story differs from that of many others is in the way I see them today: really except for a few kits, that are mainly of subjects not otherwise available, I have no particular interest in them, I sure still love Matchbox for what they have been in my past and I'll always do but never really feel the urge to build one of these kits as I did in those early days. If I want a simple, relaxing build I tend to grab more modern kits, generally one of those Japanese shake and bake boxes...

I had a very similar introduction to these kits, Giorgio - they'd often be for sale in seaside towns in the UK, exactly as you've described in Italy (I bet your weather was better, though :D), and my walk to school took me past my local shop which always had a selection in their window. Quite a few of mine came from that shop :).

Modern shake-and-bake kits are streets ahead, of course, but there's something sublime in opening one of those old boxes and finding the luridly-coloured plastic sprues inside!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 4

The trouble with modern shake-and-bake kits is you lose the epic struggles, high drama and blood pressure, unending challenges and then finally the euphoria of have beaten the sod into submission when the build is finally finished  ! :phew: :like:

Or have I missed the point here :giggle:

As I grew up near the factory these kits will always be a bit special so hearing from people far and wide (even as far as Yorkshire  !) That they are still so popular is brilliant. 

Cheers Pat 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

The trouble with modern shake-and-bake kits is you lose the epic struggles, high drama and blood pressure, unending challenges and then finally the euphoria of have beaten the sod into submission when the build is finally finished  ! :phew: :like:

Or have I missed the point here :giggle:

As I grew up near the factory these kits will always be a bit special so hearing from people far and wide (even as far as Yorkshire  !) That they are still so popular is brilliant. 

Cheers Pat 

Its horses for courses, isn't it, Pat? If you want the super-detailed all-singing, all-dancing latest marvel from Eduard or whoever, that's one thing, but a vintage kit is a different ball-game. I put on my prescription rose-tinted specs and enjoy being transported back 45 years: I think I might deliberately add gluey fingerprints next time :D 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 5

On 8/8/2021 at 8:36 AM, thommo said:

I may be drowning in nostalgia 🙄

OruqTQs.jpg

vHpsF9V.jpg

Is that all? You must be joking. But I see some firm favourites that might convince @Giorgio N like the Tempest VI and Fury, possibly the best MB kits ever.

On 8/8/2021 at 1:00 PM, thommo said:

LOpmwyU.jpg

ayejDd9.jpg

U2zj3Gi.jpg

I will not flatter anyone - but those 3 are absolute smashers!!! I built and painted a Walrus VERY early in my modeling life with Humbrol 56 (I think - MUCH too dark) after a profile of a French Machine in one of my Dad's old (then not so :-)) Profiles. Yours is museum standard, and I very clearly see what you've done to it. Wonderful!

The IIID (?) hardly looks like MB only from looking at the Martin Baker's. And wot on earth did you do with the trenches on the Corsair? Superglue and a rescribe? Awfully good - indeed!

On 8/8/2021 at 8:59 PM, dogsbody said:

My Matchbox stash:

35763852494_4e6e462cf7_b.jpg

Chris

If you don't mind, Chris: That's not a stash, THIS is stash (as per Croc Dundee). Throw out the rubbish A-20G, even though it's an AMT boxing. The Revell I spot (in a Lodela box) is much superior. If you ask kindly I'll go upstairs tomorrow to take some pictures, but that may be considered boasting 🙂

On 8/9/2021 at 9:06 PM, Mr T said:

I remember buying the Matchbox Fury from the local newsagent when I came home for Easter at uni. Made it after my 1st year exams before coming home. It was finished in Munich period camouflage with the fuselage roundels carefully repainted, with a hand painted squadron badge and stretched sprue rigging. Not a bit of etch, resin or airbrushing.

Ee they were simpler days when tha could go and 'ave a slap up meal and go to cinema and then come' ome on't tram and still 'Ave change out of a shilling. Tell it to these young' uns today and they won't believe you, just 'cos it's  pack of lies. 

I moved north to Sheffield to start uni in 1972 and stayed in Yorkshire ever since. 

To Sheffield from Munich on a tram? Ah no, now I get it... Life's no more what it never used to be.

On 8/10/2021 at 12:29 AM, thommo said:

Going through my Matchbox stash last night, I have 70 out of 107 original issues, plus 17 duplicates.

There are some quite rare ones which hardly seem to pop up for sale, and which I don't have:

PK-39 Northrop F-5B , blackbox;

PK-52 BAC Sea Harrier FRS.1 ?????

PK-122 General Dynamics F-16A Thunderbirds original boxing?

PK-141 F117-A Stealthfighter – blackbox?

The boxing references are my description of the box types.  There were the original boxings with the coloured spots, then a sort of white boxing, then the sort of black boxing, then I think the Revell versions.  I never buy the Revell versions as they are repeats of the original versions.  And there are some versions from Hong Kong with instructions in Chinese.  And some special boxings which include glue.

107 aircraft? You want that tanks, lad, I tell you...

Black box would indicate a Revell issue, but you may want the striped box F-5B - OTOH you didn't miss much, it's not terribly exciting. PK-52 definitely was released before it went down the drain. And PK-141 - I think - was the Revell mould after they acquired the TM, so would likely be 40141 only. The Chinese boxings apparently were before Revell's buy out and concurrently, I have a mid 90s Heyford. 

On 8/10/2021 at 9:14 AM, Hook said:

Just from the top of my head, since I'm abroad at the moment - these Matchboxes are in my unbuilt stash / retirement plan:

- Supermarine Walrus

- PB4Y Privateer

- Canberra PR.9

- a few Do 28's

- a few Mystėre IV's

- HP Victor K.2

- Strikemaster (half built)

- Fiat G91Y

- F9F-4/5 Panther

- F-14A ( to be built as the first prototype)

- four Meteor night fighter putty queens

- a couple of He 70/170's

- Hawk 200

- F-101 Voodoo ( which will donate the recce nose parts to convert a RoG F-101B to a RF)

- 3 Lightning F.2A/6

- T-2 Buckeye

- F3D Skyknight

- UC-64 Norseman

- a pair of Twin Otters

- Dauphin 2

Some are in RoG boxes. 

Oh, and a RoG era Catalina, just for the Dutch markings, but that one doesn't count. 

Cheers,

Andre

If you want a better Strikemaster: I have enough Airfix ones which are ultimately superior. And indeed, the PBY does not count as it's just a reboxed Revell PBY-5. For the rest, go for them. I never understood why the Lightning was trashed as it was, as it was obviously designed straight off the Aeromodeller's drawings.

22 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi thommo,

Three more superb builds there! I particularly like the Gladiator, but they're all excellent.

What era is the Lancaster kit? The only reason I ask is that my Dad built a Lancaster as one of his evening armchair builds when I was very young. I'd always assumed it was Airfix, but given that most of his kits were Matchbox, I wonder now if the Lanc is, too.

Kind regards,

Mark

Unless your dad endulged in reingraving, I'd bet it is the Matchbox, as all alternatives (Airfix 1st and 2nd, Revell, Frog)would have raised detail. And it looks the part!

11 hours ago, thommo said:

zfysDGo.jpg

HhfPwry.jpg

The Tempest is one of my alltime MB favourites, possibly their best kt along with the Fury. Clearly with close inspiration of the Bentley drawings 🙂 Which is just about the best that can happen to a kit. I never took part in any group build and finished my most recent model 25 years ago, but a MB group build could seriously captivate my attention.

You didn't really convert that would-like-to-be F-86A to an Avon Sabre, did you? Fantastic build, but did Avon Sabres have the small tailplane fairing for the unpowered "horizontal stabilizers" (not my spelling...)?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tempestfan said:

I will not flatter anyone - but those 3 are absolute smashers!!! I built and painted a Walrus VERY early in my modeling life with Humbrol 56 (I think - MUCH too dark) after a profile of a French Machine in one of my Dad's old (then not so :-)) Profiles. Yours is museum standard, and I very clearly see what you've done to it. Wonderful!

And wot on earth did you do with the trenches on the Corsair? Superglue and a rescribe? Awfully good - indeed!

You didn't really convert that would-like-to-be F-86A to an Avon Sabre, did you? Fantastic build, but did Avon Sabres have the small tailplane fairing for the unpowered "horizontal stabilizers" (not my spelling...)?

The Walrus is A2-1 from HMAS Australia.  I was going to put it on the catapult, might still do one day.

Did nothing to the Corsair trenches except an overall light seasalt type wash - which might have hidden them?

Yes, converted to Avon Sabre, but did not know about the fairing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hook said:

Don't forget the blood from cutting into your fingers. ;)

Cheers,

Andre

Oh yes! Actually, I've got a scar right down the centre of my right thumb where, aged about ten, I was injudiciously trimming some part or other with a brand-new craft knife. That scar is the main reason why I've led a blameless life - my dabs are just too distinctive ;) 

Cheers,

Mark

• Haha 5

• 3 months later...

The point about them is that some were little beauties and some little horrors.  Other than "between-wars good - current types horrid" it was difficult to predict what you'd be getting.  I do feel however that their Privateer was one of their shortfalls: a superb choice poorly done.  I grabbed it on appearance - but it remains unmade and will probably remain that way until Armageddon.

At the time of their production, there were no "wunderkits, catering for the fastidious".  Their reputation was gained very shortly after their appearance, in comparison with the better kits of the time, which in their turn generally bear little or no comparison with the gems available now.

In all fairness, it isn't too surprising that a UK company has done UK subjects that no-one else has addressed - but then for French types go to Heller, for Italian Italeri, for Russian actually, a fair range, etc.  Every major company has done subjects that no-one else has touched.   This is not intended to start a competition....

• Like 1

I think I’ve found an answer to your Matchbox ‘problem’ there @thommo? You need to drastically reduce your stash and share them among the good brethren here on BM! 

Cheers.. Dave (personally chasing a spare Mystere!) 😉

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I do feel however that their Privateer was one of their shortfalls: a superb choice poorly done

Like their UK Phantom and F-101  Voodoo, then.  ;)

(Donning asbestos suite.)

Cheers 

Andre

There may have been no "wunderkits" in those days but there were companies offering kits that were more detailed than Matchbox. The old tool Hasegawa Tomcat was issued only 2 years after the Matchbox one but the difference between the two is massive in terms of everything from accuracy to detail to mould quality. The Airfix F-80 was issued roughly at the same time as the first Matchbox kit but again it's a much better kit in all aspects. And there are plenty other examples.

Of course Matchbox didn't care about the "better" kits, they rightly followed their business model to offer cheap and simple kits that even beginners could build with no hassle and in this they succeeded very well. witness to it the fact that many who were kids in the '70s and '80s entered the hobby thanks to these kits (me included).

Personally I've never seen anyone "turning up his nose" to Matchbox kits, simply most modellers take them for what they are. The fact that they offered kits of subjects that nobody did before or after results in the need for even experienced modellers to build a Matchbox kit at some point, but really if someone is interested in building a good kit of subject X, most times there are better starting points out there. This doesn't mean that there's no fun to be had with a Matchbox kit, although part of this depends on the definition of what each of us means for fun.

The technology of plastic kits has also evolved over the years: in the days of Matchbox they were known for being often simplified but very easy to build, today however (and for the last 25 years actually...) there are many standard kits that are no more difficult to build than a Matchbox kit, even for a total beginner. This was already apparent in the last few years of the Company and the latest Matchbox kits were much less simplified, thinking for example of the Meteor night fighters and the He-70. Unfortunately these were also much worse fitting than Matchbox kits generally used to be.

In any case the upcoming group build dedicated to the brand will sure show a lot of examples of what these kits were and where they stand today and I'm expecting to see everything from '70s kid style total OOB builds to seriously improved models.

• Like 2

I don't see the issue, myself. 🙂

I cut my model building teeth on Matchbox kits and have many fond memories of them.

There's still quite a few kits in the Matchbox range that nobody has ever kitted again, at least in injection form.

The boxart really sold Matchbox kits to me for its dynamic nature.

• Like 4

Anyway, back to my newfound riches.  There are 107 Matchbox kits in the 1/72 range of which I have 77 first issues.  If I can get $130 for each of them, that's $10,000.

Apologies to our daughters, but they won't be buying a house in Sydney with $5,000 each 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/13/2021 at 8:34 PM, Graham Boak said:

I grabbed it on appearance - but it remains unmade and will probably remain that way until Armageddon.

You might be tempted to reach for it soon Graham as We might be getting close to Armageddon as soon as the "Omega" CoVid variant hits! 

On 12/13/2021 at 8:34 PM, Graham Boak said:

In all fairness, it isn't too surprising that a UK company has done UK subjects that no-one else has addressed - but then for French types go to Heller, for Italian Italeri, for Russian actually, a fair range, etc.  Every major company has done subjects that no-one else has touched.   This is not intended to start a competition....

There is some evidence to suggest that Matchbox paid some attention to the "Kruitbosh Poll" (spelling - must look it up!) as done in F J Henderson's "Modelling Enthusiast" Column in Air International in the 70's as in the "Review" about 10 years later (coincidentally when Mr Kruitbosh got back into modelling after like a lot of us paying more attention to fast Cars and young Women) Matchbox had done a large percentage of the "Wanted" Subjects from Memory.