1/72 Mosquito two stage merlin's/ USAAF NF.XXX

MattMosquito

Hi all, I am possibly looking to build an Mosquito NF.XXX of the USAAF in Italy at the near end of the war using the 1/72 Tamiya Mosquito NF.XVII kit and a conversion set of two stage merlin engines. (Photo of the Mosquito is on the link below, can't get the image to upload for some reason)

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/86905467798409808/

I heard that the Brengun engines are good but have some fit issues, if not I was thinking of using the Blackbird models conversion set if they come back into stock. Has anyone had experience of using any of these conversions? If so how did you get on? Also does anyone know of a set of decals/ masks for a USAAF Mosquito NF.XXX? I highly doubt there are any but thought it might be worth asking.  

Cheers, Matt. 

Have you thought about combining the 'soon to be here' Airfix two stage Merlin Mosquito with the Tamiya Mosquito to make a Mosquito NFXXX? The leftovers could be used to make a single stage Merlin Mosquito bomber or PR variant.

43 minutes ago, Nigel Bunker said:

Have you thought about combining the 'soon to be here' Airfix two stage Merlin Mosquito with the Tamiya Mosquito to make a Mosquito NFXXX? The leftovers could be used to make a single stage Merlin Mosquito bomber or PR variant.

If you are going to wait, I would wait for the Special Hobby kit.

M-NF30-36-w.jpg

8 hours ago, MattMosquito said:

Hi all, I am possibly looking to build an Mosquito NF.XXX of the USAAF in Italy at the near end of the war using the 1/72 Tamiya Mosquito NF.XVII kit and a conversion set of two stage merlin engines. (Photo of the Mosquito is on the link below, can't get the image to upload for some reason)

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/86905467798409808/

I heard that the Brengun engines are good but have some fit issues, if not I was thinking of using the Blackbird models conversion set if they come back into stock. Has anyone had experience of using any of these conversions? If so how did you get on? Also does anyone know of a set of decals/ masks for a USAAF Mosquito NF.XXX? I highly doubt there are any but thought it might be worth asking.  

Cheers, Matt. 

MT482 is on one of the Wolfpak sheets - 

https://www.fantasyprintshop.co.uk/shop/wolfpak-72-102-club-med/

Club-Med_700_600_8E48E.jpg

Hi all, 

I had thought about using the parts from the new Airfix mosquito and the tamiya one, just wasn't 100% sure how well they'd mate together and wouldn't want to waste a kit. 

The exhausts were a problem I'd thought about wasn't really sure how to get around that.

Don't suppose anyone knows when Special Hobby are releasing their Mosquito? I've read on and off for ages that they were going to release one but nothing yet. 

Maybe, I wondered about cutting a normal mosquito exhaust shroud and adding a piece into it too lengthen it, pretty sure I've got another set from a previous build somewhere. The photos shows the nf.xxx I want to build with covered exhausts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MattMosquito said:

Hi all, 

I had thought about using the parts from the new Airfix mosquito and the tamiya one, just wasn't 100% sure how well they'd mate together and wouldn't want to waste a kit. 

The exhausts were a problem I'd thought about wasn't really sure how to get around that.

Don't suppose anyone knows when Special Hobby are releasing their Mosquito? I've read on and off for ages that they were going to release one but nothing yet. 

I don't know, some mentioned it was due this year but I think that's unlikely as we've only seen the CAD renders and even then we don't know when we will see the NF.30. probably best to stick with the Tamiya kit of you want to build it soon.

17 minutes ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

What is the vedict on the old matchbox NF XXX 

no good as is or for donor parts ?

cheers

jerry 

I only ever saw one review for it on release and all I can remember is that the fuselage was a bit ‘porky’, (Aircraft Illustrated I think), but if all you want are the engine nacelles, then you may be ok. 

Trevor

• Like 1

The engine nacelles are awful.  I bought two of the kits when they came out, but rapidly sold them on.  (Well, perhaps not that rapidly...)  Some years later there was a sale of Matchbox kits after the company collapsed, and I bough two more thinking that they couldn't possibly be as bad as I remembered, but they were, so they were sold on, but more quickly.  The main problem was to poor representation of the engine cowlings - to be honest they may well have had porky fuselages and a lot worse, but I didn't need to look past the engines and they were unusable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1