RWD-8 pws Polish training plane

Greg Law

When I was digging for my Storch I found this kit I have had for years now. So time it was built.

It is a RWD-8 pws Polish training plane. 1/48 scale

This was one of Polands main training planes before the war. However there was 349 planes

in the Polish airforce ranks when WW2 broke out. 

RWD-8 pws image1

This will be a challenge for me.  These strutted high wings are not easy for shaky hands like mine.  

• Like 9

I've made a start on it. The kit has a few problems. The sprue connections are a bit big. There  is a bit of flash, but not too much. Biggest issue is some of the strut parts are broken, including one of the arms on the main wing strut. This one is a molding issue. 

For me the biggest disappointment is the plane markings on the box art is not an option in the kit. 

Pictures later today.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks Cliff.

Ok as promised an image of todays progress. 

The wings went together quite well although I had to used a smidgen of filler on the joints to the centre part. 

The cockpit parts are ok and fuselage seems to close up without ant problems.

The only proble I had was the Vallejo paint must be too old as it was separating.

The end result is a worn looking cockpit. Still need to work on the seat. 

I have fixed the broken parts without too much trouble. The main strut will need a buildup

of CA. to correct the indentations created by the bad moulding.  

For what it is worth here is the image. The wing is quite big compared to the fuselage. 

RWD-8 pws image2

• Like 3

This is the wonderful thing about the GBs - out of the depth of dusty stashes so many unusual planes emerge. Looking forward to your build.

Did you paint the seats brown?
That's how it looks, but should be a light-plated. Both seats were made of aluminum.

spacer.png

If you have any other questions - ask you boldly. RWD-8 is one of my favorite aircraft.

rgds, KF

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Kay

It started as aluminum, however the instructions had it marked as a different color so I assumed it would be leather. What color should I do the instruction panel cushions?

That was the same color as the seat. The problem was it doesn't have a color for that reference code in the instructions. 

The model was developed in the early 1990's, so it was possible that the colors from the instructions are incorrect. Surely twice used in the table of color descriptions "G" - once as a black color, and the second time - as brown. And here it should be "H", as in the drawings.

When describing the colors of the seat can the letter "H" is the color of the belts? Because the seat itself is marked with the letter "C". Seats (armchairs) were completely metal, without upholstery. Instead of soft upholstery, parachutes were used ...

I hope this picture will help you choose the colors of cushions and other elements:

spacer.png

++

Edited by KayFranz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Kay. I was wondering about that colour. 

Today I finally got the seats done. Took two coats of aluminum to cover the brown. I have added Eduard seat belts which has helped a lot. 

The fuselage is joined now.  I'm having trouble working out how the Fuel tank fits in the model parts. It is very unclear in the instructions. 

Your information should help. 

I have advanced this build quite a bit the last few days. I might not show any images until I have it together.  The fit isn't that good so I having to muck around with it. I have doubts about getting the wing on straight. The struts seem to be all over the place. I can see this is going to be like my He 51 mess. 

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Greg Law said:

The struts seem to be all over the place. I can see this is going to be like my He 51 mess. 

Sorry to hear this.  I can see that the wing would be quite difficult to fix without some form of jig.  I hope it's a case of 'all's well, that end's well' 🤞🏼

Cheers

Thanks Cliff. I hope so too. I just don't like the look of the struts at the moment. One advantage though is there isn't any wing wires to stuff up my paint work like on the He 51.

The control wires shouldn't be too hard.

• Like 1

Here is my latest progress for what it is worth. I will most likely complete the whole build before I start painting.

It is a bit rough at the moment. 

The He 51 problem was the rigging. The build went well until I started the rigging. The CA. just wouldn't stick the rigging.

It was really strange. It ended up me dropping the plane three times and breaking the wing struts every time. The CA

destroyed the paint work and I ended up with a wooden strut on one wing. Most people would have binned it.

The reason I kept at it was because the kit was a gift from my daughter.

RWD-8 pws image3

• Like 5

Steve,

It isn't as good as it looks. There is a definite list to the left. I'm not sure what to do about it. Part of the problem was the main struts were broken and bent on the sprue.

The center struts appeared to fit in their holes ok, but they may have been distorted a bit. However in the end I'm not very good at doing this kind of plane.

That's why my He 126 isn't built. I will press on and use our new lockdown to improve it.

Same goes with my Beaufighter. Today I tried to install my home made decals. It didn't go well. The first try it folded on it's self. The second got wrinkles in them. Problem is they are quite large. I will have to fix the paint work and try again. 

• Sad 1