1947 Spanish Bf-109 F-4 with resin engine - in 144th

So with work, gardening and family committments taking up most of July, I've finally been able to get down to some 109 action and since this may be my only contribution to the GB, thought I might as well make it an interesting one.

spacer.png

I'll be using one of the Sweet Bf-109 Fs, a slightly older kit but the only F type in 144th and a pretty solid model with the fine external detail, but basic cockpit, common of the range.

spacer.png

The scheme will be Spanish from a Heroes Models decal sheet (which incidentally is available in other scales too - https://heroesmodels.it/shop/decals/bf-109f-foreign-service-decals/) it is a post-war scheme which saw the 109s repainted into monochrome. The notes on the sheet state that the actual aircraft number is unknown so one of the known serials operated by the Spanish is used - some may recognise this as a frequently modelled example in RLM79 from 1943. Colour-wise the instructions refer to RLM63, but I suspect it is likely to have been the same anti-corrosion grey used on the post-war CASA 2.111 and Buchons.

spacer.png

But the highlight of the build will be the resin engine - from an obscure Czech firm called Sun Detail, this part is actually for a G-1 model, but these were very similar I believe to the K models in terms of engine and layout. The parts look finely detailed but the instructions are rather rudementary to say the least. A picture of the completed model might have helped.

spacer.png

The result of an evening's cutting, sanding, sanding, cutting and sticking myself repeatedly to my scalpel. Seems reasonable, although it has left a noticable air space above the front of the wing that I don't think should be there.

Doors and the front of the nose still to add and I will add some wire for extra detail as well.

Edited by Tim R-T-C
  • Like 5

• Tim R-T-C changed the title to 1947 Spanish Bf-109 F-4 with resin engine - in 144th

Another great 1/144 build Tim.

But I'm a bit confused (probably me, I've been out in the sun too long today)...

On 8/7/2021 at 11:12 PM, Tim R-T-C said:

this part is actually for a G-1 model, but these were very similar I believe to the K models in terms of engine and layout

Why 'K', if this is going to be an F-4?

Cheers,

On 8/14/2021 at 7:08 PM, Johnson said:

Another great 1/144 build Tim.

But I'm a bit confused (probably me, I've been out in the sun too long today)...

Why 'K', if this is going to be an F-4?

Cheers,

Oops that's just a typo - for some reason I keep mixing up K and F on the 109s.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so I'm not sure if I messed up at some point or I think the engine piece is just too large for the model I have - this meant it projected below the bottom of the plane too much - you might be able to see in the pics above.

So I decided to brutally cut away the bottom pieces and fit the lower door to hide the gaps - I also cut the frontal piece out of the original injection kit to replace the slightly small resin piece - so after quite some putty, this is the result.

spacer.png

• Like 4

Thanks for nice comments and likes on the thread. She is still coming along but won't be finished tonight.

Sadly a whole tonne of family and work issues fell during this GB so of my 5+ planned builds I only got half done 🙁

Great to see all the other entries to this GB though and I will post this completed build in the RFI when it is done - along with all my other 109s when I make those.

If anyone is coming to SMW, look out for this 109 on the SIG144 table 😁

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to get the bodywork complete and added the canopy. Added a little too much panel wash which gave it a grimy look, but decided to stick with this and make this an aircraft near the end of its career. I don't know anything about the service life of this airframe but with the Ha1112 and jet fighters coming aboard, the older F-4s are unlikely to have remained in service much beyond '47, perhaps kept for training only.

So I'm starting on the vignette base which will definitely be a neglected corner of the airfield.

spacer.png

• Like 4

So in the spirit of most 'how-to' modelling books.

1) Take a coaster

2) Make it scenic

3) Add details

spacer.png

spacer.png

I've kept the vignette more straightforward than usual since the exposed engine is the main attraction.

Just need to take some pro photos when I get a chance.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

So much overdue, here is the result in the photobooth. Unfortunately the camera has picked up a lot of flaws on the canopy which are almost invisible on normal viewing - caused by brush painting with decanted spray paint - it has also almost completely failed to capture the details of the resin engine, so I have had to boost brightness to bring this out. The perils of very small scale modelling!

I have decided to leave it as is with its flaws - this was more of a test build to try out the resin engines. I have several more of these in the stash which will hopefully be getting shoehorned into more interesting 109s soon.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And those brutal closeups to show off the engine!

spacer.png

Thanks for looking in, thanks to the organisers for this GB. Hopefully next time a 109 STGB rolls around I can find time to make some more entries.

Edited by Tim R-T-C
  • Like 2