Rafale C Normandie Niemen 2012 - Revell 1/48 -finished

exdraken

I already mentioned before somewhere in the GB that a Rafale C is missing in the line-up..... I just could not find the decals I wanted to use, so started the Mirage 2000 propotype first ;)

so here she finally is, decals included!

as far as i know those are the only ones of a French camouflaged Rafale sofar. Hope that quality will not let me down!

YxsUWZW.jpg

not sure if I will use all this, especially the PE is not set yet.

sprues are here, all of them and some more from an earlier B model

T4ZpeRs.jpg

I like this scheme as mentioned before because it has a camo Rafale... I think  AdA would do good in haveing some in camo.... at least 2 tone as on the Mirage 2000....

:( 

GZOUFFe.jpg

ktaOwrW.jpg

The real deal:

Air-to-air_with_French_Air_Force_Dassaul

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/61/Air-to-air_with_French_Air_Force_Dassault_Rafale_and_Mirage_F1.jpg

some more enhancements:

RcxnPGv.jpg

stay tuned!

• Like 6

first sprues cut.... I did not really open the instructions yet....

but first things first, for some brief time now there is a new set of resin intakes available next to the very hard to come by full length and surgery intensive D-mold ones, form BAM models!

no glue yet, just some little cleanup on the resin parts

yBoSvYC.jpg

adpAE3F.jpg

they fit exeptional it seems!, detail is blending in nicely as well  :thumbsup:

PU9VYBv.jpg

and they also sport the inner saw-tooth lined (stealth :D ) auxiliary intake, a rather prominent feature when looking into the intake! (you can just see it on the lower starboard intake)

rafale_b_tlp_051_of_144.jpg

6fbvmhz.jpg

I also glued the upper wings and spine on already

W5fccR9.jpg

salut, Werner

• Like 11

WOW :analintruder:

What a stunning paint scheme you've choose Werner. :thumbsup:

And those resin sets from BAM seems like a good idea to purchase. 

I do have a Rafale C in the stash, and I'd love to add the B-version to it if just Revell will re-release it.

Good luck with your build Werner.  :cheers:

/Bosse

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/17/2021 at 6:45 PM, IPMS19 said:

- These BAM intakes are top notch

time to take her up again! 

at least the M2k-01 is in the gallery already....

high ambitions.... :D

Good start Werner, the Rafale seems to be very popular in this GB.

The intakes look fantastic, I'm waiting for mine for my old Revell 'M'. I was hoping to also find a Wolfpack 'M' update, but there don't seem to be any available in Europe at the moment and according to the Wolfpack website they've been discontinued. Missed the boat again!

Looking forward to more.

John

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

I was hoping to also find a Wolfpack 'M' update,

What is it exactly what you are after in this set?

Probably nearly cheaper to by the updated kit....

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Hi Werner, the flare dispensers in the Wolfpack set caught my eye, it looks like they are supplied as the whole panels and the early Revell M does not even have the depressions into which the details fit.

John

Ah, I see!

The early Rafales simply did not have the chaff/ flare dispensers... that is why the first Rafale M 01 and the first B 301 that Revell actually tooled also did not have them...

I think a sharp knife and some scribing would allow you to achieve something similar as well. Cutting the rear fuselage and  glueing the WP parts is not straight forward either....

If you really want a set I could search the depths of my AM treasure chest  ;)

I started to clean up the Wolfpack-D cockpit

Y1LhNLe.jpg

EVlaCLn.jpg

isXzRp2.jpg

fit is good, parts are actually basically the same as in plastic, but with slightly more detail)

• Like 4

Thanks for the info Werner, I’m planning a production M and getting the BAM update set as well as the intakes so I’ll just use their flare dispenser details.

The cockpit tub sidewall detail looks much sharper than on the kit item and should look even better under paint.

Cheers.

John

• Like 1

The most complicated part is to actually replace the sill

digb2TQ.jpg

still have to blend it it in better. gives a nice reprenstation of the locks... but you have to cut along the flimsy frame first....

oh well ;)  no way back now

hUENNH7.jpg

I think the real stuff is a bit tidier....

Mzyogb1.jpg

KHpoary.jpg

plan to close the fuselage asap..... in order to proceed quickly!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, arnobiz said:

What do you think of the Aires cockpit? Is it worth the trouble/cost? Is the gap at the front normal?

HI,

I am using the Wolfpack-D cockpit. The Aires one is not in my stash as of yet... But I will try that one as well soon hopefully!

You know the kit cockpit is very good already. I think resin seats from Wolfpack are a worthy investment, the rest depends on how much time you want to spend detailing it....

the cockpit siderails a pain to add definitely..... but add detail if you want the canopy open!

the Aires pit does not provide improvement for an open canopy in respect to the rails/ locking mechanism. (but comes with a better head up display, a very complex harness, etc....) For sure sharper then WP!

regardig the gap in the front:

will revisit this again, the pit is not glued in yet, the black coming is though glued to the seat pan. Maybe I did not proporly align in the rear either.... some cap would most likely be covered by the windscreen coaming!

hope this answers your questions!

• Like 1

Nice progress Werner.

The Wolfpack-D cockpit looks really nice. While Aires items often have the edge regarding sharpness of details, their fit is often 'challenging'. And the BAM-parts are top-notch anyway.

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1

fuselage closed :)

the front gave me a hard time.... and it is not caused by the resin cockpit, less so by the resin intakes!

Pxmg6oA.jpg

but is glued now,

my only reasonable issue is a huge gap between the port wing lower side and the fuselage...  not sure where that went wrong!

oTo8PFt.jpg

BAM resin intakes glued as well,. no issue at all :thumbsup:

just need to better paint them on the inside!

PmAdwNy.jpg

KFWZwrP.jpg

I especially like the attention to detail. you just see the engine face from certain angles, and you can see the ram panel and the auxiliary intake! :)

uFTF1W2.jpg

put some weight into the nose, just in case.. fit seems good :)

maybe I will add the anti static strakes as well at a later date....

• Like 3

little progress

m6uuDdF.jpg

ztkPe2B.jpg

windscreen on:

6TsQc1C.jpg

iAGxfF7.jpg

seems filled

@arnobiz  and everybody else who might know ;) 

I am going to mount a blue GBU-24 on the center line.

Rafale_2-30_70ans-6.jpg

https://www.escadrilles.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Rafale_2-30_70ans-6.jpg

what pylon would it be on?

the standard centerline one Revell suggests for Scalp and fuel tanks?

or the Excocet one?

Thanks!

that what I have got so far:

vkVZvA0.jpg

UafEYWg.jpg

a3jPTxu.jpg

quite a big bugger! :)

• Like 5

Hi Werner,

I had a look at the Revell instructions, and it looks like the supplied centreline pylon is correct for Scalp or GBU-24. The pylon is for sure different (shorter and different rear end) to the one for the Exocet.

This is what the centreline pylon looks like:

https://fullfatthings-keyaero.b-cdn.net/sites/keyaero/files/imported/img_60-1_92.jpg

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/295953-great-navy-hornet-and-others-weathering-ref-shot/&do=findComment&comment=2979991

According to the brochure of the pylon manufacturer (Alkan) it looks like 'Pylon 9040': http://www.alkan.fr/technique/2.pdf

Cheers

Markus

• Thanks 1

painting has started

grey in grey for the time being ;)

I kind of mixed my paint to eye..... and have a hard time differentiating now between paint and plastic color!!) but the darker resin BAM intakes are covered up :thumbsup:

I used Revell 65% 43 + 364

JEodcoL.jpg

I also noted that the targeting pod and pylon that Revell provides does not resemble the Damocles a lot.. luckily I found the L'Arsenal version in my growing stash of "important" AM parts :wall:

J0AKqiy.jpg

that looks better now!

(by the way, I think there is no Talios pod out there... we will need it soon as it is replacing the Damocles on Mirage 2000D and Rafale!

• Like 3