Mystery Luftwaffe hangar structure

Rob de Bie

I grew up near Volkel air base in the Netherlands, that was built by the Germans in 1940. Little remains of that time, except for one complete hangar and one hangar 'skeleton'. The latter is a rather heavy concrete structure:

hangar_skelet.jpg

But I never ever found out what the complete hangar would have looked like. Would anyone here know the answer?

Rob

• Like 2

I would take a guess that the plan was to have several section like this, built side by side, to form one, much larger structure. That's just an educated guess, admittedly. Even with an added roof and walls, this pictured structure doesn't look all that useful. Maybe they built part of it and then decided not to complete it?

Cheers. 

Chris.     

Chris, as far as I know, all construction was finished. The concrete structure also has very little rebar sticking out, that would allow another section to the connected structurally.

You can't see it in the photo, but the Germans attempted to blow up this structure when they retreated. The two 'legs' at the back of the photo had explosive charges rigged around them. I guess roughly one meter was blown away, but the legs 'landed' on the 'stumps' so the thing still stands.

Rob

I just googled Nazi Architecture and Wikipedia had this to say:

While similar to Classicism, the official Nazi style is distinguished by the impression it leaves on viewers. Architectural style was used by the Nazis to deliver and enforce their ideology. Formal elements like flat roofs, horizontal extension, uniformity, and the lack of decor created "an impression of simplicity, uniformity, monumentality, solidity and eternity," which is how the Nazi Party wanted to appear.

This structure, whatever it is, certainly meets those criteria, most especially monumentality, solidity and eternity,

29 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Engine running facility? There were Me262s at Vogel.

Yes I agree, to me it looks like a jet engine test stand. The engines might be hung from the concrete beams. Possibly it might be enclosed but maybe not, after all annoying the locals wasn't an issue. 

On the other hand it could be part a hangar. Possibly another similar structure would be in front or behind. As it is it's too shallow so maybe two more either side would provide sufficient depth. The outside would obviously be covered with something, camouflaged for sure. Does the actual surviving hangar resemble this structure?

But I'm sure someone knows. 

Edited by noelh

It's an imposing structure indeed! The RNLAF did not like having it on its airbase, but it was made a national monument, so they could not demolish it. Instead the planted trees around it, so it's mostly invisible from the outside now.

An engine test stand, instead of an aircraft hangar, I hadn't thought of that. There were a few Ar 234 and Me 262 at Volkel, but for very short periods only. I would be amazed if the Germans would have built a structure like that for their jet engines.

The other remaining hangar is completely different. It's called a 'Deisel' hangar, and it has eight truss frames, in reinforced concrete. It's a fairly conventional hangar. Here's a photo:

3855180225115634.JPG

Rob

• Like 3

Hmm, that's indeed another possibility, since there was some V1 activity at Volkel. There was a non-magnetic facility for compass alignment of V1s. I *guess* that was meant for air-launched V1s, since I never heard of a launch ramp in the vincinity.

On the other hand, this structure stands at the edge of the airfield, and running the extremely noisy pulse-jets would have been documented I guess..

Rob

I think it's just the remains of a farmhouse hangar. Those Arado's and 262's were there way too short and late in the war to build specific buildings for them. I bet most engine testing was even done just outside, on the plane itself.

Rob, have you read the description of it on the "Rijksmonumenten" website? https://rijksmonumenten.nl/monument/512985/voormalige-vliegtuighangar/uden/

Also: https://www.tracesofwar.nl/sights/104734/Monument-Boerderijhangaar.htm

• Like 1

Yep, I too have read that this is the remains of a 'farmhouse' hangar. But I can't see how a fake farmhouse structure would fit around this skeleton. And why it was built so massively. So I have some doubts about the 'farmhouse hangar' story..

Rob

6 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

There was a non-magnetic facility for compass alignment of V1s.

Rob

That would be a compass rose which was used for aligning an aircraft's magnetic compass.  It could be used for any aircraft that needed to have its mag compass aligned.  One reason to re-align a mag compass would be if somebody drilled holes through the fuselage skin and accidentally tore up the mag compass wires going to the cockpit.  We had that happen at Travis AFB a few decades ago with a C-141.  Travis doesn't have a compass rose anymore so they had a tug and tow bar hooked up to the aircraft and every so often they had to reposition the aircraft until they had completed the alignment.  Tied up the ground crew and tug for several hours.  Live and learn!

Later,

Dave

I agree it has a strange shape for an aircraft hangar. Although the structure looks extremely strong, it has no protective roof, or wall, and would therefore not work well as a bunker..

The location is 51°39'33.39"N  5°40'27.63"E. You can't see the stucture when you are on the Zeelandsedijk -  you have to take the road just north of the structure, that leads to a unused gate of the air base. The gate is 50 meters away from the Zeelandsedijk. I think there's a picknick bench (?!) and a sign explaining the thing.

Rob

3 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

I agree it has a strange shape for an aircraft hangar. Although the structure looks extremely strong, it has no protective roof, or wall, and would therefore not work well as a bunker..

I think we're looking at just one frameset of multiple intended ones, from the side. Extend/duplicate the existing concrete frame and the construction is very similar to the remaining hangar minus the cladding & roof - the sides being concrete slabs that could be covered with a brick layer to mimic the intended farm building.

14 minutes ago, Alex Gordon said:

Edit-It seems to be a fair way from the airfield itself

Not really. If you zoom out a bit, you can still discern the original layout of the WW2 airfield (the concrete apron going NW/SE, extending beyond the current perimeter).

The location of the hangar is between the two runways, on the west end.

This Aerial Recce pic shows that layout.

2896171201140746.jpg

from TracesOfwar 

• Like 2

A quick and dirty in Paint has given us this.It's a bit rough and ready and approximate but the green rectangle in the top left corner is the location of the structure.

Deep maintenance hanger?

embed?resid=DD3DB508017E2169!3280&authke

Edited by Alex Gordon

50 minutes ago, Alex Gordon said:

A quick and dirty in Paint has given us this.It's a bit rough and ready and approximate but the green rectangle in the top left corner is the location of the structure.

Deep maintenance hanger?

c1b7ce1a-cbf1-46c7-b9a9-131098a2194f.JPG

The WW2 photo needs to be rotated appr. 180 degrees. It shows the two runways and the south-east dispersal / hangar area. The 'Deisel' hangar mentioned earlier can be seen in the photo too.

It's a pity that I cannot find a map of the Fliegerhorst to link to, that would make this a lot easier.

Rob

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ossington said:

Anyone look into the possibility it was to be an elavated flak position? Is it situated somewhere with a clear view, not withstanding post war vegetation.

Another good suggestion. But I think the structure is excessively strong for even that! It's no use putting an 88 mm on a hangar roof, only smaller calibers for local defence would be useful.

I often read about flak towers on airfields, without having a clue what they looked like. Until I found these photos recently:

https://nimh-beeldbank.defensie.nl/foto-s/detail/eb63bd74-8f07-83e8-25d6-1a90776d5abc/media/1a95c5d0-48b1-b7b1-2ebb-7414d48c609e

https://nimh-beeldbank.defensie.nl/foto-s/detail/94cc0534-2e9e-2389-4b8b-86af0a469d66/media/386560e3-3869-eea5-69a3-40a81ea66023

https://nimh-beeldbank.defensie.nl/foto-s/detail/971b2c97-049f-304a-7e16-9773164c1229/media/e083a173-7954-6a4a-2934-9e0730665cd3

Now that doesn't proof they all looked like that either..

Rob

49 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Perhaps it was a test of a new design for a hangar section? They had to build it somewhere?

Anything is possible I guess. But I still hope there is an easier answer 🙂

Rob