Airfix 1/72 Bucc

Long time lurker here ( at least 7 years, if not more). This is my first post ever here.  I tend to start many but finish very few. If I successfully finish this kit, it will be the first in 6 years. So, on with it then... 

I have only recently discovered my infatuation with the Bucc. One would be hard pressed to call her pretty, yet there is something irresistibly attractive about her in spite of her almost water buffalo like appearance. The parts that attract me the most are those two magnificent, well rounded intakes and that curvaceous coke bottle derriere. I am so smitten that I feel the need to buy at least 6 more kits to cover all the variants I want to do. 

I am building this kit completely OOB. in order to expedite the build. The kit itself almost falls together , however I did use a smattering of putty, but that is mostly due to my own carelessness rather than any defect on the kit's part. 

Paint was Mr. Color EDSG all over, silver paint was vallejo metal. I painted the inside of the intakes EDSG instead of white, as I had seen photos of intakes in what looked like EDSG, brown as well as white. 

IMG-20210728-165732.jpg

I managed to mess up the silver paint on the lips of the intake. This was an area I took extra care to mask prior to painting the EDSG, to ensure those gorgeous lips were neat and shiny, yet the liquid mask I used failed and allowed the EDSG to adhere quite firmly to the silver paint. 

IMG-20210807-131255.jpg

Decals were a joy to work with, A little bit of Mr. Setter and Mr. Softer melted them into the panel lines. 

IMG-20210804-121128.jpg

IMG-20210806-234543.jpg

I used MIG Ammo light grey on the landing gear and blue on the inert bombs but they didn't seem to want to dry completely, this in spite of following the manufacturers advice and spraying several thin coats with a substantial interval. 

IMG-20210807-131622.jpg

I am a bit confused as to what colour to paint the inside of the speed brakes, the instructions say EDSG, but I have seen some photos where it is a shade of grey. 

IMG-20210807-131827.jpg

IMG-20210807-131921.jpg

I stole a pair of sea eagles from the hasegawa sea harrier kit, however I's a bit confused as to what kind of pylons they are mounted on. The pylons that came with the hasegawa kit look nothing like what ive seen mounted on buccs. A quick search on the internet yields a few pictures that show two distinct styles on pylons used to mount sea eagles. 

sea-eagle-1.jpg

sea-eagle-2.jpg

sea-eagle-3.jpg

I'm uncertain about which type to use. I would appreciate input from the Bucc experts here.

Once the model is done I hope to make a portion of the deck of the Hermes for me to display my soon to be fleet of Buccs, harriers and RN Phantoms. 
IMG-20210807-133231.jpg

Edited by bettymoo
Images were not displaying
  • Like 3