Auster J4 Archer 1/48 Scratchbuild (VH-AET - the pilotless one)

On 30 August 1955 (nearly 66 years ago), an Auster J4 Archer at Bankstown Airport (Sydney, Australia) had engine trouble on landing and rolled to a stop. The (solo) pilot hopped out to swing the propeller but failed to set the brake and the throttle was a little too advanced...    The Auster duly took off (empty) and spent some hours circling Sydney with interceptions from scrambled RAAF Wirraway and RAAF Meteor failing - and eventually shot down by a RAN Sea Fury (piloted by RN pilots mumble mumble).

The recent Airfix 1/48 Sea Fury (Export Edition) features the incident on the box art. tells the story in the instruction sheet and includes the markings for the successful combatant!   However the featured Auster has not been kitted in 1/48 and conversion from other Auster models are rather extensive.   So let's scratchbuild one?

1-HN-Ac-Kits-Airfix-Hawker-Sea-Fury-FB.1

If you've been following the WIP build you'll have already watched the progress.   Anyway - it's now considered done (by my standards!)

DSC03790

DSC03789

DSC03782

And the underside - before completion (obviously)

DSC03773

And a bit of fun with a hapless chap (the ex-pilot). Suspect I'll get around to painting him - but figure painting is new to me.  Maybe post this photo again when I've learned the trade!

DSC03802B

DSC03793

Oh, I do have the Airfix Sea Fury kit as well - although not sure what scheme I should choose for that?  Not?

Edited by ianwau
add tags
  • Like 31
  • Haha 2

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/7/2021 at 9:02 AM, ianwau said:

On 30 August 1955 (nearly 66 years ago), an Auster J4 Archer at Bankstown Airport (Sydney, Australia) had engine trouble on landing and rolled to a stop. The (solo) pilot hopped out to swing the propeller but failed to set the brake and the throttle was a little too advanced...    The Auster duly took off (empty) and spent some hours circling Sydney with interceptions from scrambled RAAF Wirraway and RAAF Meteor failing - and eventually shot down by a RAN Sea Fury (piloted by RN pilots mumble mumble).

The recent Airfix 1/48 Sea Fury (Export Edition) features the incident on the box art. tells the story in the instruction sheet and includes the markings for the successful combatant!   However the featured Auster has not been kitted in 1/48 and conversion from other Auster models are rather extensive.   So let's scratchbuild one?

1-HN-Ac-Kits-Airfix-Hawker-Sea-Fury-FB.1

If you've been following the WIP build you'll have already watched the progress.   Anyway - it's now considered done (by my standards!)

DSC03790

DSC03789

DSC03782

And the underside - before completion (obviously)

DSC03773

And a bit of fun with a hapless chap (the ex-pilot). Suspect I'll get around to painting him - but figure painting is new to me.  Maybe post this photo again when I've learned the trade!

DSC03802B

DSC03793

Oh, I do have the Airfix Sea Fury kit as well - although not sure what scheme I should choose for that?  Not?

9 hours ago, MartinWales said:

A great model and an interesting history. I am building an open scale indoor Freeflight model of the J4. Do you have a three view of the J4? I can only find a J1 - there are minor differences. 

Thanks Martin.  Just do a google search on Powakits Auster J4 - and you should come up with some basic plans.    Here's a PDF version I found (again) just now https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19968641&postcount=7152

Thanks. They are the most complete drawings I have seen. 
It is too late for me to change the livery of my competition model now, but VH-AET would be an ideal free-flight scale subject. No need to include a pilot and an interesting history. Blue and silver stand out well against grass - a bonus for retrieval. I have jigs and patterns for the J/4 now, and a spare (if heavy) fuselage and wing…. I could make another one. 

Martin

• Like 1