Have Glass, Will Travel

On 8/20/2021 at 4:12 PM, trickyrich said:

That looks really good Cookie, I think the way you're doing it is the way to go....will have to remember this.

That can loos great........ remember resin is your friend! :D

Thanks Rich! Yeah, resin and I are at least on speaking terms now anyway!

On 8/21/2021 at 1:34 AM, giemme said:

Impressive paint job, Cookie :clap:  :clap:

Thanks Giorgio!

I did a little more work, brushing some very thin MRP acrylic Gunship grey.

IMG_20210822_141336

IMG_20210822_141345

Lots more work to be done, but getting closer to the desired result.

• Like 7

On 8/23/2021 at 12:00 AM, giemme said:

Ah, that might be something I'm gonna nick for my HAF Phantom - clever job! :clap:

Thanks Giorgio, it looks like a mess, but so does the F-16 in my reference picture!

The nozzle and horizontal stabs are just press fit in the below pics.

IMG_20210823_181644

IMG_20210823_181658

I went ahead and used Tamiya clear paints for the canopy tinting; highly thinned yellow with a tiny bit of red for the front, and blue for the back.

IMG_20210825_180524

Ooof, lots of clean up needed on the radome!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I went ahead and used Tamiya clear paints for the canopy tinting; highly thinned yellow with a tiny bit of red for the front, and blue for the back

Very effective! :clap: :worthy: What did you use to thin them, please?

Ciao

17 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Thanks Giorgio, I just used distilled water and brushed them on. They self leveled nicely.

Brushed on? That's really interesting,  I have to give it a try :thanks:

• Like 1

OK, decals on and landing gear attached.

I had to add even more tail weight! The landing gear is situated at the very rear of main gear bay, so there's not much fuselage behind it.

I attached a toothpick to the rear fuselage to act as a stand - I'll replace it with some clear sprue when I get the height right.

IMG_20210829_173326

IMG_20210829_174730

IMG_20210829_175123

Sorry for the poor light - I'm building in the basement - it does hide the toothpick well though!

Next, up, I will add the matt coat over the current gloss Future, then takeit back to the metal coat in places with very fine sand paper, then weathering.

• Like 13

Looking mighty nice (for an F-16, anyway), Cookie! Do you have a permanent place by now? I seem to recall the last time we spoke on the phone you were contemplating relocating.

• Like 1

Cookie, this is looking: 

a. much bigger, like 1/48

b. sooooo good! I love it! :worthy: :worthy:  :clap: 

My :2c: worth of advice on pics: since you are in a poor lighting condition, avoid white backgrounds - they "suck" all the light from the model. I know the white stuff is the paper you use to protect your bench (I do the same) and how annoying is to place the model somewhere else to take pics, but the difference in the final result is pretty evident. This is not intended as a criticism, obvs, it's just a suggestion to allow others (myself in the first place) to appreciate your work even more :) :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Procopius said:

Looking mighty nice (for an F-16, anyway), Cookie! Do you have a permanent place by now? I seem to recall the last time we spoke on the phone you were contemplating relocating.

Funny you should ask PC, I finally got a job and start on the 13th of Sept, and will have to move to Seattle a few days before that!

I've been staying with dear friends in Spokane since spring, and they enthusiastically set up a bench in their basement for me.

12 hours ago, giemme said:

Cookie, this is looking: 

a. much bigger, like 1/48

b. sooooo good! I love it! :worthy: :worthy:  :clap: 

My :2c: worth of advice on pics: since you are in a poor lighting condition, avoid white backgrounds - they "suck" all the light from the model. I know the white stuff is the paper you use to protect your bench (I do the same) and how annoying is to place the model somewhere else to take pics, but the difference in the final result is pretty evident. This is not intended as a criticism, obvs, it's just a suggestion to allow others (myself in the first place) to appreciate your work even more :) :thumbsup:

Ha! Thanks Giorgio, I'm too lazy to walk the build upstairs to take proper pics, but have included some in better light below, just for you (although they're still pretty 'impromptu'!)

40 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Looking fantastic.  :cheers:

Thank you Chris!

Matt varnish applied:

IMG_20210830_124619

Some of the metallic effect still shines through, but I am going to do some careful sanding to try and match the ref pic better.

Landing among the garden ceramics (you can see the trusty toothpick in this one)

IMG_20210830_125206

Landing on the dining room table:

IMG_20210830_125625

Willard “Rattlesnake” Williams can land anywhere.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Cookenbacher said:

Funny you should ask PC, I finally got a job and start on the 13th of Sept, and will have to move to Seattle a few days before that!

I've been staying with dear friends in Spokane since spring, and they enthusiastically set up a bench in their basement for me.

Awesome! And what an incredible coincidence, as my work will likely be sending me there for our midyear meeting in February (long story)!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Pre-emptive welcome to the PNW.  Don't forget to pack your golashes.  :lol:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I'm too lazy to walk the build upstairs to take proper pics

Well, in that case you are more than justified, I'd never walk upstairs just to snap WIP pics.... :winkgrin: :D 

She's looking gorgeous in her flat coat :clap: 

Also, great to know you got a new job! :thumbsup: (another move, though.... :wacko: :) )

Ciao

• Thanks 1

On 8/31/2021 at 8:53 PM, trickyrich said:

It's a very different pose we are use to seeing of an F-16 and I think it's great. I love the finish and the weathered look, you got that spot on.

Thanks Rich, and thanks for the encouragement throughout on this build, and on all the other great F-16 builds going on - you are a Group Build hosting machine!

On 8/31/2021 at 12:42 AM, giemme said:

Also, great to know you got a new job! :thumbsup: (another move, though.... :wacko: :) )

Thanks Giorgio! Yes another move (actually two, as I'm getting a temporary place at first with friends who are also moving), but I'm looking forward to settling in eventually.

On 9/1/2021 at 7:45 AM, giemme said:

Very realistic, and I love the pose! :worthy:  :clap:  :clap:

One of the great things about jet builds is that you don't have to worry about the prop disc, so it opens up many more possibilities.

In my haste, I didn't describe the last stages of the build. I made a couple 3000 grit mini-sanding sticks:

IMG_20210831_095422

And carefully sanded a few spots down to the metallic layers.

IMG_20210831_103850

I don't usually do a panel line wash, but my ref pics definitely showed distinct panel lines on the dirty Have Glass jets. I made a wash from Winsor & Newton gouache paints, mixed from black and white, and thinned with distilled water and a drop of flow improver. I used the same concoction, lightened a little more, for weathering the tail, and to my surprise, it matched the pic pretty well!

The static dischargers are trimmed toothbrush bristles.

IMG_20210831_171031

Until next time my friends!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

The static dischargers are trimmed toothbrush bristles.

I was about to ask about them in the RFI, then I forgot - smart! :clap::clap:

Ciao 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Thanks Rich, and thanks for the encouragement throughout on this build, and on all the other great F-16 builds going on - you are a Group Build hosting machin

kind words, thanks, I really do like hosting these builds and as you can tell I love being able to provide some sort of support and encouragement along the way........ and have lots of fun while doing it too.

Will see you in the Nordic GB???  :fight:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1