Tim's Air Superiority Eagle - COMPLETED

theplasticsurgeon

Joining you with this Airfix 1/72 kit.  This is a 1978 box, with was NEW at the time - when I was still at school!

00-Airfix-Eagle.jpg

Which will be completed with Humbrol 47 for Air Superiority Blue,

To use these decals.  Huge thanks to @rs2man for these.

01-Microscale-Eagle.jpg

To build this development Eagle.

71-0282-01.jpg

And the parts.

02-parts.jpg

• Like 8

11 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Joining you with this Airfix 1/72 kit.  This is a 1978 box, with was NEW at the time - when I was still at school!

Here is a copy of the same kit, that I did build around 1978 - whilst at school.

Airfix-F15-Eagle-ADS.jpg

And my other previous Eagles - all in 1/72.

Academy F-15C USAF Alaska.

Academy-F15-C-Eagle-FP.jpg 

Academy F-15I Ra'am, Israel.

Academy-F15-I-Eagle-1.jpg

Hasegawa F-15E Strike Eagle in Europe1 camo.

Hasegawa-F15-Eagle-Lizard.jpg

Hasegawa TF-15 BiCentennial Eagle.  Actually the same aircraft as the Strike Eagle.

Hasegawa-F15-Eagle-Bi-Centenniel.jpg

Hasegawa F-15A in Air Superiority Blue.

Hasegawa-F15-A-Eagle.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Tim,

Back in 1984 Detail and Scale were very complimentary about this kit, saying it was in their opinion the best F15 kit about! Of course there have been improvemnets and probably remouldings by Hasegawa and others since then but it should build up nicely in the original blue scheme. They particularly liked the fact that you could build an A or B version from the same box unlike Hasegawa.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Tim,

Back in 1984 Detail and Scale were very complimentary about this kit, saying it was in their opinion the best F15 kit about! Of course there have been improvemnets and probably remouldings by Hasegawa and others since then but it should build up nicely in the original blue scheme. They particularly liked the fact that you could build an A or B version from the same box unlike Hasegawa.

Pete

That's interesting Pete.   The (original) Hasegawa kit arrived in 1974, which I've built 3 times - there will be comparison.

I've got a 1988 (later) Hasegawa kit in the stash, with different split forward fuselage, but still raised panel lines.

Academy, with their drooped intakes, appeared in 1991 - raised panel lines. So we'll see how they each compare.

Hi Tim,

In the Interceptors GB I built a 1985 or 87 boxing of the Hasegawa "C", which I think was just an updated version of their original "A" from 1974. I mentioned that I also had their "E" from 1988 which had the later style of exposed burner cans without the "tail feathers" and said that they had probably modified their "C" at the same time as Scalemates mention "new parts", so any "C" after 1988 was probably a different moulding than the earlier versions - I guess and "B" or "D" versions from then on would be the same, as indeed might be any "A" they might have released, so there are at least 2 Hasegawa mouldings or at least partial remouldings about second hand. Also, my "E" just pre-dates the release of their Weapons sets so comes with a full set of bombs. Any later boxing would perhaps need four of the weapons sets to provide no less than 22 Rockeyes at 6 in a set! Probably a good job Hasegawa do not make a "fat belly" B-52D for Vietnam - you would probably need an awful lot of M117 bombs if they stuck to their normal policy about weapons.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is very nice Tim, I love that Air Superiority colour, it does look good on it, the Airfix kit has come up well too. On the basis of his build I went & bought a starter kit. just saying <_<

Very good to hear that Steve.  I'll be very interested to see that being built.  Either this GB, or there's and F15 Eagle GB next year.

Mine was an original 1979 release of the kit, does yours have any flash on the parts?

3 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Mine was an original 1979 release of the kit, does yours have any flash on the parts?

There might be the difference, we're in lock down just now since a week ago & post/freight has slowed to a snails pace again so I haven't seen it yet but I'm anticipating the intervening years may show on this, I'll be keen to see anyway. Sounds like a starter for the F-15 GB perhaps. :) 

Steve.

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...