Flyhawk 1/700 HMS Hood

smyfe

This arrived today and I must say I am blown away by the level of detail.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also got the mask set and wooden deck

spacer.png

Everything shown except the deck and mask comes with the kit. The paint guide also shows the lower hull in grey anti fouling paint. I'm a little intimidated by this one and think I need to get a few more under my belt first. 

Mick

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

P.S. sorry about the rough pics, I am laid up at the moment with cellulitis in my leg and struggling to get about or do anything much at the moment.

Mick

17 hours ago, grahamwalker said:

pity it has to be another 41 kit

But it can be safely considered the "only" 1941 kit worth thinking about now, since all the others contain errors derived from incorrect references whilst this one has been designed with input from subject matter experts. It is the best kit of HMS Hood in any scale for any time period.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/08/2021 at 01:20, grahamwalker said:

ah but no good for early in life or when she had aircraft embarked, i just have a thing about building ships as when they are sunk  sorry:)

I think I can follow your sentiments about ships that were sunk Graham, but Hood sailed in that fit and configuration during 1941 and was only sunk when she came up against Bismarck but it's each to his own of course especially if you want an earlier configuration as well.

That said, I own both Hood and Bismarck 1/700 kits from Flyhawk with upgrades and wooden decks and the attention to, and the level of, detail is by far the best I've seen on any kit anywhere and from anyone - at this or any other scale. But as Jamie from Sovereign says: it's simply the best Hood kit there is and as historically accurate as it is possible to be and those were my reasons for buying both kits - Bismarck first (but not yet started) then Hood which I just had to have.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 30/08/2021 at 22:50, Adm Lord De Univers said:

It's my personal opinion that she looked much more handsome in her earlier configuration, but that might be the 507C talking. I'm holding out for now hoping Flyhawk release an earlier version.

David

Guess  one of your faves was The Old Lady   Warspite?     I did a build of here also  the Academy  1/350  scale version with Pontos bits.

Erk.

2 hours ago, ERK said:

Guess  one of your faves was The Old Lady   Warspite?

You guess correctly, but for her war record and general awesomeness, not even I could argue she was a looker (at least in her later years).

@smyfeHows this build Coming along? Have you got enough under the belt to commence yet?

David

• Like 2

I had just completed a Trumpeter 1931 configuration when they announced this kit. Even though I prefer the older layout with the secondary armament I could not have resisted the Flyhawk HMS Hood of any era.

The Trumpeter one builds up into a fantastic model, inaccuracies aside, so the Flyhawk kit will really be something else.

Ross.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

You guess correctly, but for her war record and general awesomeness,

Gidday regarding HMS Warspite, I had two great uncles serve in the Middle East as stretcher-bearers in WW2. Only one came home. But the one who did, despite being army had a soft spot for Warspite. I can still remember him saying - "She was built for a stoush!" 

Despite her sudden and tragic end, HMS Hood was too. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday regarding HMS Warspite, I had two great uncles serve in the Middle East as stretcher-bearers in WW2. Only one came home. But the one who did, despite being army had a soft spot for Warspite. I can still remember him saying - "She was built for a stoush!"

Not really a comment that I can mash 'like' to but very interesting to hear, but also sorry to hear of your family's loss.

David

Thanks David, I understand. And thank you for your sentiments. I never knew him, he was killed 15 years before I was born, but I remember his surviving brother telling us what he saw happen, he was there. And yes, a tragedy for our family but no more so than any other family on either side of the conflict that lost loved ones.

Anyway, I'm digressing from the thread topic, which is about models of HMS Hood. (Apologies) Regards, Jeff.

10 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Anyway, I'm digressing from the thread topic, which is about models of HMS Hood. (Apologies) Regards, Jeff.

Oh, I cut my comments short as I thought I was writing on a build log... To reply to both yourself and @Ravens I got the '41 Trumpy Hood, but chaged plans to build a Malta dio:

resized_1173e29b-680e-4e1e-ae60-b10c5bc4

Of course that necessitates a Trumpy '31 Hood (with Warspite and Repulse behind), you can never have too many 'oods. But then I saw the Flyhawk version. So new plan: a '31, a '41 (flyhawk) and then mashup the '41 Trumpy one into a what-if '45 variant. The latter, I have Jeff's excellent airfix mashup builds to thank for inspiration...I've already tried drawing up modernisation plans.

Oh would you look at that! I brought Warspite back into the convo, oopsy daisy. And not to detour too far, but when I went to buy the Flyhawk Hood, I ended up buying the Flyhawk Derfflinger instead...

David

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gidday again, many thanks for the compliment. I've got another Airfix Hood kit (yeah, I agree, you can't have too many 🙂) and it may end up as a late war variant. But not for awhile though. I've got a couple of Warspites too, and got ideas for them. Regards, Jeff.