Historic Helicopters Open Day August 2021

Hello all!

After a glorious day at Duxford on Wednesday, I hot-footed it to Somerset for the Historic Helicopters Open Day on Thursday.

Goodness me, the weather could not have been more different!

The planned event of three themed flying slots was canned due to persistent rain and I only got to see the Wessex flying a weather check at 11.00 because I looked at the weather forecast and decided to bale out at 14.00 for the very long journey home. I believe that some of the other helos went up around 16.00. Hey-ho!

DSC_2923.jpg

DSC_2928.jpg

DSC_2937.jpg

DSC_2944.jpg

DSC_2956.jpg

DSC_2958.jpg

DSC_2960.jpg

DSC_2966.jpg

DSC_2969.jpg

DSC_2973.jpg

DSC_2978.jpg

DSC_2980.jpg

DSC_3380.jpg

DSC_3384.jpg

DSC_3385.jpg

DSC_3391.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Some (sadly) historic birds indeed! That's some very unfortunate weather, looks like late autumn rather than mid summer! 

Nice to see those stalwarts though, thanks for posting.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Whitewolf said:

I had no idea there were so many of these historic birds flying? Great to see the Sea King HC4 and SAR!

Glad you enjoyed the pictures. Most of that fleet is owned by one man (Andrew Whitehouse?) and he actually has two SAR Sea Kings, both of which are pictured above. I believe that only one is currently airworthy and has recently displayed at Old Warden 

29 minutes ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Glad you enjoyed the pictures. Most of that fleet is owned by one man (Andrew Whitehouse?) and he actually has two SAR Sea Kings, both of which are pictured above. I believe that only one is currently airworthy and has recently displayed at Old Warden 

I can only see one Seaking SAR in the pics, the other is an HC4

Fabulous pictures, many thanks for posting. And it's great to see the Wessex in the air.

There is a restoration TV programme out there somewhere about the Sea King & Wessex restorations.

• Thanks 1

The pic with the Alouette is interesting. I see one most days flying over my house quite low and lives local somewhere but not sure where. I don't think its the one in your pic as its an ex Belgian or German Army one.

• Like 1

Such a shame!

That SAR Wessex brings back a few memories - I did my college work experience programme at HMS Daedalus and got to spend a week with the SAR Flight, including a couple of flights and being winched up and down. Wish I'd had a decent camera back then...

Thanks for sharing!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Fabulous pictures, many thanks for posting. And it's great to see the Wessex in the air.

There is a restoration TV programme out there somewhere about the Sea King & Wessex restorations.

Thanks Pete. I too was delighted to have seen the Wessex airborne. I could have cursed the weather! I saw the Wessex restoration on "Warbird Workshop" on the Yesterday channel.

3 hours ago, Paul J said:

The pic with the Alouette is interesting. I see one most days flying over my house quite low and lives local somewhere but not sure where. I don't think its the one in your pic as its an ex Belgian or German Army one.

Sounds interesting Paul. I wonder where that machine is based?

2 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

Such a shame!

That SAR Wessex brings back a few memories - I did my college work experience programme at HMS Daedalus and got to spend a week with the SAR Flight, including a couple of flights and being winched up and down. Wish I'd had a decent camera back then...

Thanks for sharing!

It was such a shame, as the event had such potential. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the pictures and the memories. I'm not sure about the winching, though!!

• Like 2

I saw the yellow Seaking do its display at Shuttleworth on Sunday. Very impressive. Lord alone knows what it costs to keep that in the air for an hour (a LOT, I'm guessing).

Thanks for sharing your photos with us. The weather was a hell of a shame for all those that attended. I hope the day was renjoyed, despite the rain.   

Cheers. 

Chris. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, canberraman said:

My you are getting around!  Great pictures all but I particularly like the flying Wessex.

Mark

Hi Mark. I'm pleased that you enjoyed them. I questioned the sanity of travelling from Duxford to Chard on Wednesday evening, but actually had a pleasant journey. The drive home in the rain on Thursday was far less agreeable! I'm pleased that I saw the Wessex flying because I don't remember when I last saw one. With hindsight, I wish I had been more patient and not believed the weather forecast!

58 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

I saw the yellow Seaking do its display at Shuttleworth on Sunday. Very impressive. Lord alone knows what it costs to keep that in the air for an hour (a LOT, I'm guessing).

Thanks for sharing your photos with us. The weather was a hell of a shame for all those that attended. I hope the day was renjoyed, despite the rain.   

Cheers. 

Chris. 

I'm pleased you enjoyed them, Chris. I would have loved to have seen the Sea King and Scout in the air, but there will always be another opportunity!

18 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

That’s a fantastic collection, I had no idea these existed. Brilliant to see a Wessex flying again. 

It is amazing, isn't it? I first became aware of Andrew Whitehouse from the "Warbird Workshop" programme on the "Yesterday" TV channel. Such a shame about the weather on Thursday, but I'm sure that there will be another opportunity!

https://www.historichelicopters.com/

• Like 1

If a picture speaks a thousand words then your first three shots of the Wessex sums up any written description of the weather! A shame the weather spoiled what looked like a rather good day but it looks like you made the best of it from the shots. Cheers for posting them. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Latinbear said:

If a picture speaks a thousand words then your first three shots of the Wessex sums up any written description of the weather! A shame the weather spoiled what looked like a rather good day but it looks like you made the best of it from the shots. Cheers for posting them. 

Ha ha. Thanks Latinbear. Despite some editing, the weather conditions are still evident. Would I go again? Possibly, but I would probably stay over at the end of the event so that I don't feel the pressure to leave early for the long journey home!

• 2 weeks later...