Dimond Warding Files, How to clean them?

Gondor44

So I have some Dimond Warding files which are getting clogged. Unlike the normal likes with I can easily unclog with pins and knives I can't find a method for removing the clogged material.

Any advice please.

Gondor

Vallejo Plastic Putty 70.401 which the tube says is 100% Acrylic Resin.

I had used it to fill seam joints in my Airfix new Vulcan intakes and used semi circular and round warding files to get rid of the excess. On a side note, is this Plastic Putty smothable with a wet brush?

Gondor

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bmwh548 said:

I would try dipping them in some lacquer thinner and maybe using a brush to scrape the putty. Careful not to melt the handles.

Sorry, don't have anything lacquer in the house

9 minutes ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Failing any of the above try filing something harder than what is clogging the teeth of the file, mild steel would work or PE fret .

This type of file dosent have normal teeth or I would have been able to deal with it. I have a small carding brush bought from a wool shop a long time ago which usually cleans out must gunk from my normal files, the tougher stuff I use an ild pencil, that had a terrible lead that kept breaking, I replaced the leat at the pointed end with a pin held in place with superglue. There are also knives to get between teeth of a file but these Diamond warding files are different and look as if the Diamond is just scattered on the surface in no particular order.

Gondor

10 hours ago, Gondor44 said:

Diamond warding files are different and look as if the Diamond is just scattered on the surface in no particular order

Yes, I have some diamond tools tool. The same principle should work though, the harder material acting like a rasp clearing softer material, I often get my files clogged with soft materials at work and home and I do find I get some good results.

Another option if you are able is to use a mini gas torch to burn away debris but not sure what effect this will have on the material bonding the diamond to the file body.

I think a period of trial and error is the only way forward, it is not much use as is so maybe nothing to loose.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, PhoenixII said:

@Gondor44 An alternative would be a suede brush, or, if you need real heavy duty, try a wire brush.

I will give that a go, no idea when though as I may or may not have one somewhere under the kitchen sink..... literally :think:

Gondor