Tamiya Toyota Supra 3.0GT (A70)

I bought this kit at the same time, shop and price as the Celica I've started in another recent WIP thread. In my mind they've always gone together because of this and so it makes sense to me I also build them in tandem. They're also in the same size boxes, have very similar kit engineering from Tamiya, both Toyota, have popup headlights, open seat backs and both have metal axles front and rear. I'm sure Hasegawa's recent A70 Supra release is a whole lot better as a kit but at the time I bought this it wasn't on the market.

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

On the spoon is the final colour - Tamiya's metallic orange over black. In this case, the black is Mr Hobby Surfacer 1500.

spacer.png

• Like 7

After a coat of Semi-Gloss black down the sides, I've masked off the rubbing strips and black door parts. I've not tried it this way round before, since most builds don't start off with a coat of black paint.

spacer.png

Probably a divisive colour, but at least there isn't anything of this colour already on the shelf.  It's been drying a week so is ready for clearcoat now.

spacer.png

• Like 7

As I found out with my real life car, this sort of copper colour is as divisive as you say - half the people love it, half the people hate it. But nobody has said "It's ok"...

Personally, I'm in the 'love it' camp, this looks really good and I'd expect the clear coat to top it off nicely.

• Like 1

From what I remember this generation of Toyota Supra didn't come with a very broad colour choice, at least in the UK.  I've definitely seen white (including the optional all white version with white alloys and other bits) and red; I think you could also get black and metallic grey but I don't know what other colours were offered.  Copper is definitely more interesting than any of those and it looks like you've got a great paint finish.

After clearcoat, polish and wax.

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Here's something I discovered only about 10 or so builds ago. Those annoying bits of polish that get stuck in panel lines that even an enthusiastic cocktail stick won't get out (because as if I'd go near those panel lines with anything sharper at this point in the build - learned the hard way).  Well, a pointy cotton-bud thing dipped in drawing ink will dye that polish black, and it's not like there's so much that it looks darker in some places than others, just a nice, even, darkish panel line.

spacer.png

Meanwhile - just like the Celica, the seat backs need filling. First plastic, later filler.

spacer.png

• Like 11

10 hours ago, Anteater said:

That's looking good. Airbrush or rattle can for the paint? 

Thanks. All rattle can. Black = Mr Hobby. Orange = Tamiya TS-92, Clear = Mr Hobby.

The underside in all its glory. 3 parts and the main floor pan. Maybe the simplest one I've ever built.

spacer.png

Assembled in under 2 mins.

spacer.png

Some BMF on the front and rear light areas.

spacer.png

The kit has no brakes supplied, so I've taken these from the spares box - they're the unused set from a kit that has two sets, and Aoshima Toyota Crown. . They're great insofar as they've recessed areas in the centre, meaning the discs can come closer to the wheels with no further work.

spacer.png

What wheels to put on this kit has caused me a lot of thought. The in-box wheels are period but rather boring.  These 19" Enkei NT03 look quite elegant but also - quite large.

spacer.pngspacer.png

The 18" WedsSport SA-70 wheels are a better size, although not as elegant. They're also *very* chrome but that can be remedies with some stripper or oven cleaner. Either set of wheels will look better once it's got some brake discs behind it.

spacer.png

• Like 9

If it was my build I'd look to keep it original, but you should go with whichever you prefer. That said, of these two my vote would also be for the 18" - not only do I not like the rubber band look, but it also appears from your photos (which I appreciate are from different angles) that the 19" wheels are giving it quite a jacked-up stance.

After some oven cleaner, black primer, black gloss and TS-83, the finish now resembles alloy wheels not bright chrome ones.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I can't remember deliberating so much over a set of wheels for a car. The 18" BBS DTM ones do suit it also. [Below]

spacer.png

• Like 7

I've settled on the BBS Wheels. Since the kit has no brakes included, I've robbed the parts box. Fronts (larger) are from the endless treasure that is a body-damaged Corolla WRC kit, so they're at least Toyota. Rears are Nissan.

spacer.png

Interior with it's oh-so-eighties digital display.

spacer.png

Completed interior and chassis. Not visible but the entire assembly of brakes, metal axles and wheels are glued in place, so the car can't roll and the brakes can't rotate. It's easier this way and who needs it to roll anyway?

spacer.png

Interior glass glued in place.

spacer.png

As it looks at the moment. Lacking some exterior details but getting close.

spacer.png

• Like 4

Out of sequence to some of the other photos, I built a front lip.  These two images are the last two in the WIP now, as it's pretty much done.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4