Trumpeter 1/200 Mikasa *Arrived

Hello All,

I’m currently building the Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck and I’m enjoying it very much.

So much so that I’ve inadvertently bought the Hobbyboss (ex Merit I believe) 1/200 Imperial Japanese Navy pre WWI Mikasa Battleship! I promised myself I wouldn’t look at another model before I’d finished.. but I have a lack of moral fibre 🤔

I’ve also bought the Mk.I Designs detail pack - the full version - there’s a value pack but I don’t think they include the brass masts or armament barrels amongst other things. This isn’t obvious though as both sets are depicted online with a set of photos of the full set.

I was umming and ahhing about buying it with so much of the Bismarck to go. I was looking for something to push me over the edge and it came with the discovery that Scaledecks have a deck for this in the making. The Mk.I set has its own deck but it’s the standard type which I’m not a big fan of. I had some pretty poor fitting issues with my Scaledecks Bismarck one, but they assure me this one should be fine. I’m not sure when it’ll be available but I’ve put my name down for one.

Anyway, the kit’s in the post allegedly and I’ll post some pictures when she arrives. 

Any photos or points of reference for the Mikasa would be most welcome. Not a ship/ conflict I was much aware of. 

It will however, be on the back burner until Bismarck gets done, but you know how easily led I am… 

Thanks for looking in 🙂

Guy

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 3

Gis, apparently you have read my mind. I am going to start the MIKASA when I finished building the Zvedas' Oriol, Suvorov, and Borodino, yup building all three at the same time. Bad move on my part! Back to the MIKASA I will be using the Eduard set, 1905. when it arrives. The only difference between the two is the addition of the masts. However, with that said I am sure some one will correct a very naive modeler. Enjoy the weekend and the build.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

accidently buying

Gidday, I like that phrase, it might come in useful sometime. But not for Guy. It seems he has the practice honed to an art form. 😁

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/6/2021 at 6:36 PM, Jerry L said:

Gis, apparently you have read my mind. I am going to start the MIKASA when I finished building the Zvedas' Oriol, Suvorov, and Borodino, yup building all three at the same time. Bad move on my part! Back to the MIKASA I will be using the Eduard set, 1905. when it arrives. The only difference between the two is the addition of the masts. However, with that said I am sure some one will correct a very naive modeler. Enjoy the weekend and the build.

Ah that’s great Jerry, looking forward to seeing a build log of her 😃

3 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Whoops. I hate it when this happens. I've thought of accidently buying HMS Rodney a number of times but so far haven't made that mistake yet :D

I think I said ‘inadvertently bought’ which is better than ‘accidentally’ I think. Why don’t you inadvertently buy HMS Rodney instead?

Do you do ColourCoats for the Mikasa? I think I’m going with the pre war scheme of black and white/light grey, but I have been known to change my mind - the other option is a quite dark grey overall which may look a bit uninteresting?

Guy

Yep, That’s the current plan Jeff.

I’ve just trawled Google for some initial research and I’ve come up with these rather nice images:

This is my favourite, what an evocative image…

DA4404-AB-27-C3-49-FC-B379-A1340-A02-FD0

And a rather intriguing image of a different colour scheme. I realise it’s digitised, but any references to the colours here would be most welcome as she looks very attractive in these colours…

3-BC43-EC1-9-FC0-4980-BFF9-3-AF678-AB5-B

Mikasa in action…

B3-A4-AFB0-C998-4-F6-E-BEE3-08265-C913-A

A very sharp view of the stern deck…

1725-D37-B-A3-E4-46-C4-99-FD-7-BF8-C6-F9

A rather grand painting….

B76003-CA-68-C1-4502-A3-E6-EDFA8-D691-DE

In this image the funnels look distinctly lighter (different colour altogether?) than the hull?

C16-B78-EE-1108-4520-BDE3-79895-CC93-BC9

In this one they look darker! Confused….

0-CAB5-B2-D-3-BE3-424-B-9574-741-BDC95-D

And an informative short video on Mikasa…

In addition, she was restored during the 50’s and is maintained as a museum piece in Yokosuka, Japan, so lots of images available in her current guise.

As she was originally ordered by the Vickers shipyard in Barrow-in-Furness in 1898 (at the cost of £880,000), would it be feasible to represent her as a Royal Navy ship? Was she a direct copy of a RN battleship class?

Many thanks,

Guy

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Gisbod said:

As she was originally ordered by the Vickers shipyard in Barrow-in-Furness in 1898 (at the cost of £880,000), would it be feasible to represent her as a Royal Navy ship? Was she a direct copy of a RN battleship class?

She was a modified version of the RN Formidable class with some additional armament.

Formidable class: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formidable-class_battleship

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks John,

I’ll have a look at those 😀

So, I realise you’ve all been dying to see her - and the time has finally come! She arrived Monday but I’ve only just got round to taking photos.

58-DB5-E34-88-CA-4-C1-B-A624-DE4-A31-F60

245-ED5-BE-19-B5-48-F7-89-AE-70156-B409-

First impressions are very good indeed. Crisp mouldings and some nice details. She’s a lot smaller than Bismarck.

49-E4-EE21-4-AEA-4-DCE-A44-E-C62-C91-C3-

D06-D362-B-3-CBC-4770-9552-A2-FFAABA7-EA

3-C21904-D-6646-4-CE5-ACF3-DE6237644-DBC

B7115058-DE9-F-48-FD-94-DB-F366-F7-F3-F2

The supplied stand is pretty decent too…

0187-C9-FC-0-DDD-43-EB-96-B2-899-BBEA5-F

The Mk.1 set looks pretty decent too. I haven’t used them before so will be interested to see how it compares with Pontos.

99-AAEEC1-07-E8-4-F10-BC55-DD237-CB9310-

C8-AA6-ECD-F66-C-4304-BF3-E-1-A766511347

Instructions seem good too but not in booklet form - just loose sheafs.

AEE87-F72-0708-4026-A4-CD-5356-C917-CBDC

A colourful fret of PE too!

B5-E18-EFA-48-C7-4056-A6-D4-4-ACD8-C484-

And finally a wood deck. Seems better than the Pontos Bismarck one, not as pretty as the Scaledecks offering, but at least it should fit!

9-EDC46-A6-1-DFD-48-D6-877-A-96-F57-E5-A

I’m looking forward to getting stuck in, but I won’t be rushing Bismarck, not yet anyway!

Guy

• Like 3

Ps I couldn’t resist getting some background information… Lovely book. I also found a new copy of another of R.A. Burt’s - ‘British Battleships 1919-1945’ from Foyles - £7.99… Absolute bargain! 

Guy

11-A457-D7-3327-431-C-AB91-421-E17-A3921

13681808-914-A-479-F-B5-D8-B8-DE19-C2572

• Like 7

• Gisbod changed the title to Trumpeter 1/200 Mikasa *Arrived
3 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Ps I couldn’t resist getting some background information… Lovely book. I also found a new copy of another of R.A. Burt’s - ‘British Battleships 1919-1945’ from Foyles - £7.99… Absolute bargain! 

Guy

11-A457-D7-3327-431-C-AB91-421-E17-A3921

13681808-914-A-479-F-B5-D8-B8-DE19-C2572

Where on earth did you find it at that price, cheapest I've found is four times that, 

14 minutes ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Yeah same, I'm happy for Guy, yet equally furious.

David

David,

Found it....here's the link

https://www.foyles.co.uk/witem/history-politics/british-battleships-19191945,r-a-burt-9781848321304

Can't help but think they got the price wrong but either way, 

Sam

Yep, 

I think they’ve made a mistake. It’s RRP is £45 and it’s a brand new book. Arrived today and its excellent!

Guy

Ps All the other books in that series on their site are £35-40… 

45 minutes ago, gishuk said:

Looks to be a good kit and plenty of brass to keep you busy there.

How big is she compared to Bismarck? 

Bismarck is almost twice the size. She weighs in at 1.2m long and Misaka is 0.66m. Bismarck was also twice as expensive. Although the aftermarket is about the same. 

But they’re both beasts of a kit and I love ‘em both! 

Guy

Hi Guy,

If you really want to go down the rabbit hole when it comes to getting a model of Mikasa right, check out the Mikasa Preservation Society's blog. It's a mine of information on small details. If you're adding all that etched detail it would be jolly to know what it represents!

http://blog.livedoor.jp/studio120/

Will

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

David,

Found it....here's the link

https://www.foyles.co.uk/witem/history-politics/british-battleships-19191945,r-a-burt-9781848321304

Can't help but think they got the price wrong but either way, 

Sam

Thanks for that link, just ordered a copy for myself, seems a crime not to at that price...

• Like 2