Azur - 1/72 Latecoere 298 **Finished**

JOCKNEY

3 hours ago, Alex Gordon said:

Humbrol 14 for the blue,a tiny drop of white in some Humbrol 60 will probably do the red.I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this old fruit :thumbsup2: .

Cheers mate

Yes it looks a really nice kit, just working out how to get the prop to spin, yes I'm afraid the 13 year old Jockney is still alive and kicking  !

Cheers Pat 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 8/13/2021 at 10:21 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Great choice Richard

I've been looking at these but when someone on evilbay want £50 plus postage, I'll build the already too many kits I have in the stash instead  !

Hope you can get a replacement canopy.

Cheers Pat 

I've emailed Azur to be told that I should have emailed Special Hobby. I emailed Special Hobby and they don't have replacement canopies for a kit this age but will make a new one for me for 5 Euro. I think that is pretty reasonable.

12 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

just working out how to get the prop to spin,

This is always the mark of a well built kit :) 

• Like 2

Hi Pat,

the nearest blue would be Humbrol 89, and Hu 60 for the red.

Humbrol 14 may not work, but again, it's your call.

I thought Azur provided decals for the horizontal stabs. Or was I dreaming?

JR

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress 

IMG_6085

Etch on the torpedo looks smart.

IMG_6086

Probably the wrong colour seat harnesses, but the interior is likely to be like a dungeon once the canopy goes on !

Blitzbuild this weekend so unlikely to make much more progress on this one.

Cheers Pat

Cheers Pat

• Like 10

Hi Pat 

At the risk of adding to colour confusion the Print Scale Battle of France set gives the following call outs . Rouge Signal Red FS31302 = Humbrol 60 . Bleu FS35190= Humbrol 89

Looking good so far 

Martin H

• Like 1

Hi Pat,

I am impressed that you've got that far, so quick.

Re the wings, did you reinforce the but joint, or just slap a lot of glue and pray it holds?

This is a beautiful plane! And you have done a beautiful job so far!

Now comes the tricky part... We are watching!

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi JR

Yes I made up a couple of splints to go on the inside, then drowned the joint in glue as well, to be on the safe side !

Currently wrestling with the floats and the support legs both of which have a mind of their own :frantic:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

Hi Pat,

yes, that is what I meant by the tricky part.

The clever people make a jig.... The only thing we have plenty of at the moment, and that could be used for a jig, is elephant poo. It is fairly malleable, but not too soft. The smell is an acquired taste... Let me know if you want some, and I will DHL you a few balls. Do not tell Mrs Jockney who sent it, and she'll never guess.

I have never built a jig... Have you?

Have a lot of fun!

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/3/2021 at 10:53 AM, Grandboof said:

So long as you are having fun . Maybe super glue with a quick setting agent . Careful of the fingers though 

Martin H

Hi Martin,

from previous experience, I would stay clear of any accelerator. One little goof, and everything is set in cement!

I would go for a glue that gives you time to do some tweaking, and then let time do its dastardly work., trying NOT to play with it in the meantime (that is the hardest part!).

But the final decision will rest with @JOCKNEY, who, in his infinite wisdom, will make the right choice!

Cheers

JR

• Like 1

Rather than build a jig, I came up with this idea....

IMG_6129

I was inspired by the old fashioned western films where the victim was tied to the railway tracks, and you can see the train coming in the distance.

Now don't tell me you're not impressed........:rofl2:

I'll be even more impressed / amazed if it works !

Cheers Pat

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Slight modification to the Jockney, Strut method...

IMG_6133

The first method didn't work because you had to work upside down and you couldn't see what you were doing !

So I kept the the floats fixed, with the spacing, and swapped the struts back to the aircraft.

IMG_6134

However the diagonal struts I found were too long, so on / off make a bit smaller, retry, repeat....

Until you guessed it, I made them too short so, I've moved them from down the side of the float, to close to the base of the vertical strut. This gives additional rigidity at the expense of originality. Apologies to the purists.

Then, painted the underside, in Jockney's homemade paint from my recent Potez build.

IMG_6136

The observant among you will notice the lead, in the nose to stop it being a tailsitter.

Up on its floats

IMG_6138

So, spot the difference, top to bottom

IMG_6139

So as you can see, my paint on the floats and Humbrol 87 on the top..... Yes it looks identical apart from the fact that my paint covers in one coat, and the H87 will need multiples.

So the bottom needs to be repainted in a lighter shade of blue, and I'll use my paint to repainted the top, one step forward two back !

Next job cut out the vacform canopy :fingerscrossed:

Cheers Pat

• Like 15

Long overdue an update, so first a trial fit of the painted vacform canopy, which fortunately survived my hamfisted attempts to free it from the rest of the sheet.

IMG_6147

As you can see I've repainted the bottom have a lighter blue. I left the canopy off as there's a lot of loose ends to tidy up including painting a tricolour on these at the rear top and bottom and trying to match the decal sheet !

IMG_6148

The red is a Revell paint and the blue is homemade mixing 2 available humbrol paints together. The middle is going to be a white decal strip, more later.

So the next challenge is that lovely shark mouth, see below

IMG_6151

Trouble is the decal looks like this

IMG_6150

Spot the difference ?

Yes no red background, so time to improvise, by painting one in.

IMG_6149

Decals on, some touch ups required to the tailplanes and around the shark mouth but getting there

IMG_6152

IMG_6153

IMG_6154

IMG_6155

So after sorting the bits of paint, fit the canopy, along with a strange part that looks like a handrail in front of the canopy, ariel wiring, and prop, finally toying with the idea of a blue/grey walk to show the panel lines, but as I've never used a wash before that's got disaster written all over it ! So probably not 

Cheers Pat

• Like 11