Tamiya Panel Liner on Acrylic Paint

Reelyator

Hi Folks,

After using Mr. Weathering Liquids for a while (for weathering as well as for Panel Lining of Surface Deatils) i wanted to try something new on my current ED-209 Build and use Tamiyas Panel Liners as i have heard so many positive comments on its exelent flow behaviour.

After the first attemt on a not so visible area on the feet i can confirm, that it really flows very well. But when removing the excess paint with Tamiya Laquer Thinner i had to realize that this heavily attacks the acrylic base colour😟

Originally i was under the assumption that Laquer Paints are not affected by Acrylic Thinners and Acrylic Paints are not affected by Laquer Thinners but it seems here i was wrong....

Question to the Community:

Who has experience with Tamiyas Panel Liners? What solvent can you recoment for cleaning up? Preferrably something that has no effect on the base paint.

Any other Tips and Tricks on Tamiyas Panel Liners is highly appreciated!

To clarify in case of typos, your using a lacquer/cellulose thinner to remove the panel line wash?

If the above is correct, find whoever told you that lacquer thinners are gentle, delicate little flowers and smack them upside the head. Lacquer thinners eat all paints for breakfast and can easily snack on the plastic to boot. 

Tamiya Panel washes are enamel. Any turpentine or white spirit will remove it, but again if you're using an enamel paint or varnish under it your going to remove that too. Should be safe on Acrylic or Lacquer paints. On the plus side the plastic should be fine if things go south. I would suggest using a low odor white spirit myself. If in doubt, test on some spare painted sprue/part. 

• Like 2

Thank You Evil_Toast_RSA!

Most likely this was more a transfer error at my end. I had good experience with cleaning Mr. Weathering paints with Mr. Weathering Thinner. Therefore i guessed best to clean Tamiya Panel Liner Paint with Tamiya Thinner..... Tamiya Laquer Thinner was probably not the smartest idea.... i will book this under lessons learned.

I will try out terpentine. Maybe i should add the my base paint in this build is the Grey Acrylic Primer from Vallejo.

14 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

I wonder if Tamiya X-20A thinner would work better?

Chris

Probably not, industrial alchohols are pretty aggressive substances too and would probably damage most/all paints if used. 

X-20 however is the enamel thinner (naphtha based by the smell of it) and might work better ;). 

6 minutes ago, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

Probably not, industrial alchohols are pretty aggressive substances too and would probably damage most/all paints if used. 

X-20 however is the enamel thinner (naphtha based by the smell of it) and might work better ;). 

I didn't know there was an X-20 thinner. I thought X-20A or the lacquer thinner were the only Tamiya thinners. They're all I've ever seen.

Chris

10 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

I didn't know there was an X-20 thinner. I thought X-20A or the lacquer thinner were the only Tamiya thinners. They're all I've ever seen.

One day I would like to compile a list of countries that stock which lines of Tamiya paints for purely personal reasons. 

Yes, X-20 is their enamel paint thinner, and the not so confusingly named X-20A is their Acrylic thinner. Good thing they decided against calling their lacquer thinners X-20a or something. 

• Like 1

The Tamiya Laquer Thinner i have used is simply named "Laquer Thinner" (Art. No 87077). As far as i know from Google X-20A is Tamiyas Acrylic Thinner, therefor i would not try it for my application as my base Paint is a Acrylic one...

20 minutes ago, Reelyator said:

The Tamiya Laquer Thinner i have used is simply named "Laquer Thinner" (Art. No 87077). As far as i know from Google X-20A is Tamiyas Acrylic Thinner, therefor i would not try it for my application as my base Paint is a Acrylic one...

Tamiya acrylic paints are actually acrylic lacquers. That's why they go gloopy if you thin them with plain tap water (which is the thinner for 'true' acrylics such as Vallejo)

X-20A is a nice safe thinner for Tamiya acrylic paint that works well. Its water plus alcohols plus other good stuff.

Tamiya Lacquer Thinner is also for use with Tamiya acrylic paints but it's a bit smelly and bad to use without good ventilation. However, it gives a much smoother and more durable finish as it bonds really well to the primer.

There's also A Tamiya Lacquer Thinner Retarder type which extends the drying time so that high gloss finishes, cars for example, have a little extra time to level out and get smoooooth.

Tamiya paints can also be thinned with Mr Color Self Levelling thinner because Mr Hobby Aqueous Hobby Colour is also an acrylic lacquer.

If you want to smoothly brush paint Tamiya Acrylics they also make a drying retarder separately from their thinners

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

to close this topic here. I tried Terpentine an this cleans the Tamiya Panel Liner very well without attacking the Acrylic Base Colour.

Combinations with other Paint types would need to be evaluated separately.