1:72 Bristol Beaufort Mk.I *FINISHED*

Dunny

4 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Our old friend Tony O'Toole left a comment at the beginning of this build. He is no longer amongst us on these pages, sadly. I think he would have had a lot of factual reference to add to the build!

I'm not a great WWII fan but I do like to watch what other modellers dabble with.

Colin

Colin,

Thanks for the kind words. Tony is sorely missed and I'm sure would have had much knowledge to add. I still reference his and @Rabbit Leader' s excellent joint build as my Beaufort benchmark,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

Crickey that was a productive session. I'm deeply envious of the results you're all getting with this recent silhouette fever. All that shading has come out beautifully, you've got that slightly faded look down. 

I might have to look into this Krystal Kleer stuff of yore. a couple of windows in my martlet are knee deep in dodgy mask and paint application and held on by a wafter thin string of 'dried before I stuck them in' PVA

Andy

• Like 2

19 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks fantastic Roger, going through ghost build very rapidly fella.  The paint work looks sublime and the painted markings , wow .  What a great job they look awesome.   

You should be rightly chuffed with your efforts.

Chris

Thanks very much Chris - those masks would probably work with a hairy stick 😉

16 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Just to repeat what everyone has said.

Sublime.

Nice job with the masks too.

Takes it to another level.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair - a good learning experience with the masks...

16 hours ago, Ngantek said:

Crickey that was a productive session. I'm deeply envious of the results you're all getting with this recent silhouette fever. All that shading has come out beautifully, you've got that slightly faded look down. 

I might have to look into this Krystal Kleer stuff of yore. a couple of windows in my martlet are knee deep in dodgy mask and paint application and held on by a wafter thin string of 'dried before I stuck them in' PVA

Andy

Thanks very much Andy - it is great for ham-fisted glazing repairs, but also very useful for filling gaps. Highly versatile stuff...

13 hours ago, Paulaero said:

Very nice work, I always think that touch ups add realism to the model.

I must get round to setting up the cutter my wife bought for crafting but never used !!!

🤭

Thanks very much Paul - crikey, you want to commandeer that immediately!

Cheers,

Roger 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dunny said:

Thanks very much Chris - those masks would probably work with a hairy stick 😉

😄 you bad man, I see what you're doing 😉  would love one, but the domestic authorities would blow their top if I spent a load of dosh on one of those😬

I am just content watching you guys perform your magic.

Chris

• Haha 2

Hi All,

A brief update on the Beaufort! Firstly I thought @Ngantek might be interested in the 'after' shot of the porthole:

20221117_132103.jpg

I hope this inspires you to give the KK a red hot go Andy! Next I realised that I'd forgotten to unmask the landing lights, so here they are in all their glory:

20221117_165909.jpg

I then spent some time assembling the torpedo, undercarriage and doors. Here's a shot showing the lot in position:

20221117_165925.jpg

Shaping up quite nicely - you can also see that I've applied some exhaust staining. I may get to the finish line tomorrow, although I am heading to a winery for lunch tomorrow so it may be the weekend!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 9

Can't do much better than that porthole! I will have to check it out.

Lovely work all round. For me the gap between this stage and the last is usually months since I'm always too lazy to do all the fiddly bits early on and end up leaving a mammoth job.

Really impressed with the 'night', it's so hard to get black areas to look real.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AliGauld said:

I should say so. :wow:

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks very much Alistair!

8 hours ago, Ngantek said:

Can't do much better than that porthole! I will have to check it out.

Lovely work all round. For me the gap between this stage and the last is usually months since I'm always too lazy to do all the fiddly bits early on and end up leaving a mammoth job.

Really impressed with the 'night', it's so hard to get black areas to look real.

Andy

Thanks for the kind words Andy - not much left to do now...

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks lovely Roger great work fella.  Yes wait til the after effects of the winery have worn off before you xrack on with ghe last bits 😉 enjoy your trip.

Chris

Wise words Chris - Adelaide Hills shiraz and fiddly bits are not good bedfellows!

• Haha 2

• Dunny changed the title to 1:72 Bristol Beaufort Mk.I *FINISHED*

Hi All,

Well there really wasn't that much more to do to complete this, and the turret assembly and addition of the final greeblies was knocked over this morning. Here's a couple of teaser shots - I'll post an RFI shortly:

20221118_105744.jpg

20221118_110127.jpg

A couple of things to note - I've chosen to omit the chin turret, as none of the photos I've seen of 217 Sqn aircraft have the turret in place (Airfix would have you fit it). The other thing is that I've chosen to colour the spinners EDSG, as these were in a couple of photos and I thought looked rather natty. I'm glad that I persisted with the second kit - it really is a little gem which I will more than likely build again (perhaps a DAP RAAF version?). I also have grown to love this rather ungainly aircraft, and will surely attempt the ICM 1:48 version at some point. Thanks to all who have provided support and encouragement along the way - it has been sincerely appreciated!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 8

1 hour ago, mark.au said:

If the result you’ve achieved here is in proportion to the level of indulgence you may choose to partake at the winery, you’re going to need a designated driver.

Thanks very much Mark - indeed we have one!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Excellent.

Just awe inspiring.

Cheers,

Alistair

Most kind Alistair - now get on with yours!

13 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

I have just seen this in RFI, what a superb model Roger, the faded look is awesome and your first use of your mask cutter too, all after loads of wine too, fantastic work as always fella.

Chris

Thanks very much Chris, for the kind words and the support along the journey!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, mick b said:

Blimey, I must have been asleep to have missed this excellent WIP. Brilliant result as ever Roger!

Mike

Thanks for the kind words Mike - much appreciated!

• Like 1