1:72 Bristol Beaufort Mk.I *FINISHED*

Dunny

Took me a good while to work out what was going on here. I some how read it as your 'blenheim' thread then was surprised, scrolling back, to see a mk iv canopy. Wait what, Roger is building  IV as well? No wait that's a beaufort, hang on I've somehow missed a beaufort and it's been going since August!? Oh August 2021!

Right the slow one has caught up. Looking very Nice! Shame about the last one which also looked very promising. Nice work getting such a depth of colour on the collector rings.

I too can't wait to get around to this kit (in fact added the OOP blenheim mk1 in 72 at Telford yesterday after your fantastic build). TSS/ night looks amazing but I had mine speculatively earmarked for a random light/dark med blue thing which might make a change. The southern Europe gb maybe?

Andy

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

Took me a good while to work out what was going on here. I some how read it as your 'blenheim' thread then was surprised, scrolling back, to see a mk iv canopy. Wait what, Roger is building  IV as well? No wait that's a beaufort, hang on I've somehow missed a beaufort and it's been going since August!? Oh August 2021!

Right the slow one has caught up. Looking very Nice! Shame about the last one which also looked very promising. Nice work getting such a depth of colour on the collector rings.

I too can't wait to get around to this kit (in fact added the OOP blenheim mk1 in 72 at Telford yesterday after your fantastic build). TSS/ night looks amazing but I had mine speculatively earmarked for a random light/dark med blue thing which might make a change. The southern Europe gb maybe?

Andy

Sorry for any confusion Andy, but glad you are now on the rollercoaster! It's still a great kit second time around 😉

52 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey that is quick progress Roger .  Looking good too.  At this rate you'll  be finished  by next weekend. 

Great work

Chris

Chris,

I have to say that is entirely possible. I am officially on gardening leave so a little more benchtime is ahead (I am entire comfortable with this, by the way),

Cheers,

Roger 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Sorry for any confusion Andy, but glad you are now on the rollercoaster! It's still a great kit second time around 😉

Chris,

I have to say that is entirely possible. I am officially on gardening leave so a little more benchtime is ahead (I am entire comfortable with this, by the way),

Cheers,

Roger 

Oh mate I hope you're okay. Enjoy the extra bench time .

Chris

5 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh mate I hope you're okay. Enjoy the extra bench time .

Chris - I really am. Irons in the fire and money in the bank...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AliGauld said:

You are certainly cracking on with this one.

Looking excellent. Of course I would expect no less.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair - highly recommend this gem of a kit!

• Like 1

This is superb, and your work encourages me to start!  I have this kit, and I'm so glad Airfix has gotten so much mileage from this redheaded stepchild of the RAF fleet.  Along with the (1/48) Anson, it shows they are willing to take risks, and that is good.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

This is superb, and your work encourages me to start!  I have this kit, and I'm so glad Airfix has gotten so much mileage from this redheaded stepchild of the RAF fleet.  Along with the (1/48) Anson, it shows they are willing to take risks, and that is good.

Thanks very much TJK! Couldn't agree more on Airfix' approach, and they are to be congratulated on the engineering of the kit,

Cheers,

Roger

Hi All,

Some good progress on the Bristol today! First task was to mask up the nacelles ready for the main game:

20221114-095432.jpg

Next the bomb bay doors were blutacced in position:

20221114-111108.jpg

Whilst I was working away the postie arrived with this:

20221114-121759.jpg

Yay - Oramask 810! I ran a test cut which was too heavy, so dialled the cutter depth down to 2 - perfect. Will look forward to trying them out! Here we are ready for primer:

20221114-125551.jpg

And yes I did remember to mask those portholes! The first coat of primer revealed a few things, most notable around the glazing:

20221114-134338.jpg

Soon fixed with Krystal Kleer. Here we are after another coat:

20221114-135304.jpg

Looking nice! I then preshaded with Nato Black on the upper surfaces:

20221114-142710.jpg

It was then onto DSG. Here after the first coats:

20221114-143505.jpg

And here once it was finished with a lightened coat (mixed with mid-stone and thinned as per usual):

20221114-145309.jpg

Once that had dried I applied the masking for the EDSG:

20221114-152159.jpg

EDSG laid down (along with a lightened coat - Sky Grey this time):

20221114-155155.jpg

Looking good, although there were a couple of areas requiring attention:

20221114-154716.jpg

Soon sorted those out. Final job for the day was to mask up for the black lower surfaces:

20221114-162431.jpg

I'll get that done tomorrow, and will hopefully get on to spraying the markings!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 8

You’re getting some good great fantastic results with your painting lately Roger.  

Glad your masking arrived.  I set my cut to “Frosted Vinyl“ and add one notch to the cut depth.  I don’t used the cutting board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, mark.au said:

You’re getting some good great fantastic results with your painting lately Roger.  

Glad your masking arrived.  I set my cut to “Frosted Vinyl“ and add one notch to the cut depth.  I don’t used the cutting board.

Thanks for the kind words Mark. Do you put a full-size A4 sheet in?

31 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

That is looking really nice!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks very much Adrian!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dunny said:

you put a full-size A4 sheet in?

No, but I do lay out the cut to full A4 width to minimise the size of the sheet I use.  Make sense?  If not, I’ll post a pic later as I’m cutting my Spit masks today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ngantek said:

I can never decide which order of masking job is worse with those Hercules collector rings and exhaust. Makes a nice change to do the bottom last as well. Lovely work, those various textures look very good indeed.

Andy

Thanks very much Andy - it does make a change to be masking topside!

7 hours ago, AliGauld said:

All looking splendid Roger,

Don't know if this will help but these are the settings I use for 810.

I picked them up from a video and set them up as a new material.

7NlnMe2.jpg

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Alistair

Ah, new material eh? Have to look into that, although my second attempt did cut well

6 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh wow, looking good Roger and again very quick, you certainly are on target to finish this by, we'll before the end of the week, I'd say, going great guns fella.

Cracking work

Chris

Thanks very much Chris - will see how we go with the markings...

1 hour ago, mark.au said:

No, but I do lay out the cut to full A4 width to minimise the size of the sheet I use.  Make sense?  If not, I’ll post a pic later as I’m cutting my Spit masks today.

Makes perfect sense - would like to see a pic though!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dunny said:

Makes perfect sense - would like to see a pic though!

As you command...  🙂.   All of the masks laid out at the top of the full-width page.

spacer.png

A piece of mask the full width, but only deep enough to ensure all the masks are cut.

spacer.png

And finally, the cut settings and overview.

spacer.png

I'm quite sure you've figured all this out yourself by now, but hope it still helps.

Cheers

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mark.au said:

As you command...  🙂.   All of the masks laid out at the top of the full-width page.

spacer.png

A piece of mask the full width, but only deep enough to ensure all the masks are cut.

spacer.png

And finally, the cut settings and overview.

spacer.png

I'm quite sure you've figured all this out yourself by now, but hope it still helps.

Cheers

Almost exactly what I was doing, with the exception of using the cutting mat! Appreciate the tutorial - this is great stuff!

• Like 3

Hi All,

A bit of an omnibus edition as I've a little more time on my hands than usual! I neglected to take a photo of the black undersides after spraying, so the next stage was the spraying of the markings. I won't go through each stage exhaustively, so here's most of the way through the process:

20221115_124357.jpg

And here with the wing roundels revealed:

20221115_130928.jpg

Why - they look like they were... painted on! 🤣 I learned another valuable tip from @mark.au - I should have put down a gloss coat first, giving a better sealing face for the masks. Every day's a school day in this hobby! Once I had unmasked the roundels, sprayed the squadron and aircraft codes in MSG, and corrected a few minor defects and runs, I did lay down a gloss coat for the few decals and stencils:

20221116_124238.jpg

Following a Grime Flory wash for the lower surfaces and Black for the uppers (which I totally forgot to photograph), it was time for flat coats. Here's where we ended up:

20221116_135939.jpg

20221116-135929.jpg

I'm not displeased with that, although you can see that one of the aircraft serials has silvered - Gah! (the God of Decals taking revenge for my mask treachery?). And here after the grand unmasking:

20221116_141120.jpg

20221116_141132.jpg

Of course, during the unmasking of the portholes I pushed both transparencies in - Krystal Kleer to the rescue:

20221116_142107.jpg

I don't think at this rate @bigbadbadge was too far wrong - hopefully be done this week!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Wow!  Looks marvellous!  The painted markings are pro-level and the underside sublime.

Thanks Mark - one does so crave a sublime underside! 🤣

• Haha 3

Our old friend Tony O'Toole left a comment at the beginning of this build. He is no longer amongst us on these pages, sadly. I think he would have had a lot of factual reference to add to the build!

I'm not a great WWII fan but I do like to watch what other modellers dabble with.

Colin

• Thanks 1