1/72 Cyber-Hobby Hellcat - Wings Folded, Paint Faded

I built this guy in the current Hellcat STGB, and thought I'd do something a little different since the Cyber-Hobby kit allows for a wing fold option. It certainly takes up less room on the shelf!

The kit also comes with some detail in the engine auxiliaries bay, but provides no way to show it, so I had to remove the panel with a razor saw and add a little more detail - the build thread can be found HERE if you're interested.

IMG_20210805_144709

IMG_20210805_144336

IMG_20210805_144229

IMG_20210805_144412

IMG_20210805_144637

IMG_20210805_144602

• Like 53

Congratulations Cookie, you've done a beautiful job there B) 

I'm not generally a fan of folded-wing models, I feel it hides too much of the actual model but in terms of shelf-space-saving I can see the value (not to mention the fact that the real aircraft did spend a fair amount of time in that configuration) :) 

Anyway she's a beauty, good work mate B) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Thanks 1

On 8/5/2021 at 7:48 PM, Stew Dapple said:

Congratulations Cookie, you've done a beautiful job there B) 

I'm not generally a fan of folded-wing models, I feel it hides too much of the actual model

Thanks Stew!

Yeah, I folded the wings just because the kit allowed for it and I'd never done it before, but you're right, it hides most of the aeroplane!

Here are a couple pics I took before attaching the wings:

IMG_20210725_104059

IMG_20210725_104107

On 8/5/2021 at 11:49 PM, Robertone139 said:

Very nice!

Thanks Robert!

I realized that in the write up, I didn't include any historical information; this model is supposed to depict an early F6F-3 during the type's first combat tour with VF-5 aboard the USS Yorktown.

http://ww2db.com/

On 8/6/2021 at 6:37 AM, Bertie Psmith said:

Very good brushed blending. Good build too. 👍

Thank you Bertie, it's a combination of airbrushed Tamiya and bristle brushed Vallejo and MRP (they're inter-mixable) water based acrylics.

Oh, and it's weathered with AK weathering pencils that have a paint-like 'lead' rather than graphite, and they can be used wet or dry. I liked them, and I plan on using them regularly going forward.

IMG_20210805_144752

• Like 5

Greetings from the middle of nowhere!

This is brilliant! Great build, great paint job! Fading paints can be a recipe for disaster, but you obviously are a seasoned cook because the result is spot on.

Congrats, Sir Cookie.

JR

• Thanks 1

Beautiful work!

I've often wondered where the Cyberhobby kit rates among 1/72 Hellcat kits.

Yours certainly looks the business; and the wing fold is nicely done.

:goodjob:😎

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, aerotechi said:

Did you have to fix the wings in position or can you swap between stow and deploy? 

It would be difficult to build it so the wings could be placed in either position. The 'key' is a piece that makes up the interior of the leading edge of both the inner and outer wing, and has prongs the fit into the inner wing.

IMG_20210718_103841

Sorry, this is the best pic I could find of the piece. The open winged version has the prongs at a different angle.

On 8/8/2021 at 8:24 PM, kapam said:

I've often wondered where the Cyberhobby kit rates among 1/72 Hellcat kits.

I'd recommend the kit, especially if you want to fold the wings. There are a few head scratchers here and there; for instance the cowling is for a -5, and I had to add the underside cowl flaps and bumps over the exhaust.

There is a very good comparison with the Eduard kit here:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2012/features/hellcatcomparison72vb_1.htm

• Thanks 1