Another Airfix E-4! - *** FINISHED! ***

Johnson

Hi Charlie,

modelling can indeed be dangerous! Shame about your wrist!!! Unless you are left-handed, it could have been worse.

Re the masking, you have done a really good job! It is going to look great.

You have lost me with your technical data. It is so complicated, it has to work splendidly!

I personally use a 5mm flat brush, whose name is so worn out I cannot read it, and with a handle broken 11.5 cm from the bristle (trying to show off).

Anyway, super work! I hope you can carry on soon.

JR

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jean said:

Re the masking, you have done a really good job! It is going to look great.

Thanks Jean! I hope so.

1 hour ago, jean said:

modelling can indeed be dangerous! Shame about your wrist!!! Unless you are left-handed, it could have been worse.

Tried to do the wings today but had to give up, too painful. Completely ridiculous, I've no idea how I did it. But better this evening so have hopes for tomorrow. A week left but time is short as we have to go to London for 3 days for a wedding.

1 hour ago, jean said:

I personally use a 5mm flat brush

Actually I'm quite envious of the hairy stick modellers. Airbrushes are wonderful things but they complicate modelling, take an age to mask and paint, then need a thorough clean. Painting by hand is a skill, and one I've lost.

• Like 1

More masking over the Colour Coats RLM 02. The paper masks are held off very slightly by extra-thin Blu Tack sausages

y4mw6xjkAxu2R3jSy4ehVKEPF-1A5f650iIYEtA0

y4mvIWJu7fSv8iVGhv1PiIv80QBMa9AdaQHbY79L

Then the RLM 71. I did use additional paper masks on the sides when I sprayed.

Notice the colour shift from the artificial light above to daylight photos below, very noticeable on the RLM 02 and the 71 appears lighter. It's a sunny day here, and the blue sky has bought out the blue in the RLM 65. It's quite astonishing how much difference the light conditions makes to the colour.

y4mRzXSXt-QfHxh3dqGnUdSSjgIjjaDAoNwdNGpR

y4mJa0ct0_0OoAq3O630K4mlZaLhwbBZ8TrEbF6y

I've gone for a soft edge on the camouflage colour joins (unless it's a part that might have been painted entirely separately such as the wings and flaps). This is not how most modellers seem to portray early 109s, but having looked at numerous images, and BM posts on the subject, it seems to be the case. I've also added in slight deviations to the dividing lines as it also seems probable that the colours were sprayed freehand without masks. This is just a personal opinion and preference (at the moment!) and I'd rather not get into a debate about the rights or wrongs of my approach here, this would be better in another part of the BM forums.

The paint was again the excellent Sovereign Hobbies Colour Coats paint / thinners. Except the Yellow for which I used Xtracolor. I must get some Colourcoats 04 as I think the Xtracolor 04 Gelb may be just a little over saturated?

I can now apply the Alclad II Aqua Gloss coat then decals! :D

• Like 7

Hi Charlie,

great progress! This looks real good.

You are right about the effect of light on the paints.

The best color rendition seems to be outdoor on an overcast day. Plenty of those where you are!

You sure will be finished before the deadline. Keep having fun!!!

JR

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jean said:

The best color rendition seems to be outdoor on an overcast day. Plenty of those where you are!

100% agree with you Jean. But it seems every time I want to photograph a model for the gallery at the end of the GB, there are lovely clear blue skies!

• Haha 1

A bit of a Last minute rush, but its done!

Added the u/c, mast, cannons etc. Applied a bit of weathering, but unfortunately no aerial wire. I touched the mast - really lightly - and it snapped! glued it together OK, but it won't hold a wire yet.

Overall very pleased with the result. A lovely kit, no real issues. Here are a couple of pics, more in the gallery later!

y4mTR5xvJzTrmKwkdgS9bPCTA2DREUNyXiqdKoOI

y4msAAx4mD8ynJml0nTvL7elYbZs9QxSXIYYdUY7

Thanks for all the support and encouragement, and many thanks @Col. for hosting, and the GB supremo @Enzo Matrix for yet another super STGB!

• Like 6

• Johnson changed the title to Another Airfix E-4! - *** FINISHED! ***

Hi Charlie,

congratulations on a timely completion! Well done.

Your model is outstanding. Every mm a 109!!!

Great show.

JR

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, jean said:

congratulations on a timely completion! Well done.

Your model is outstanding. Every mm a 109!!!

Thanks JR! After the wedding last week, a busy weekend including the mad dash to complete the 109, I'm totally exhausted!

19 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well done sir great looking build. 

Thank you Dennis!

41 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Well done Charlie, it is one of those schemes that is a must have in any collection.

Cheers Ray, the BoB 109E has been missing from my shelf for too long.

• Like 1