Another Airfix E-4! - *** FINISHED! ***

Johnson

A serious omission from the shelf has been a Bf 109 E from the Battle of Britain. And I'm going to have to be a lot quicker with my second build in this GB if I'm to finish before the end.

So I've abandoned my FineMolds K-4 (lingering on page 4...) and my planned Special Hobby E-4 (next time?). This is going to have to be almost a blitzbuild.

You've all seen these before;

y4m7zUMccvbpUEu2V_g5uHN-SAV5dYFD_J0r8b-O

y4mH2g8yallokAxMQ4moe1pGppzbWaMGnLB8nH7j

The plastic is typical modern Airfix, somewhat soft and apparently needs care getting the parts off the sprues. Looks OK . . . at the moment.

The model will be mainly OOB (I'll need to add some seatbelts) but not the markings as I'm going to model the well known Bf109E-4 of Oblt. Gunther Bode, Gruppenadjutant of I/JG27 from Xtradecals Battle of Britain 70th Anniversary set;

y4mOfbJ-aT45EgfIUXeFP8_HS7gVDiH6i7Nzz8To

Cheers, 

• Like 9

Parts for the cockpit.

y4mAX_pj0eeD7zWMEt9H9a3m8-fMQzq4QLmd_r_Z

Looks OK but no trim wheel, and it's not going to get one either :huh:.

Separating the very nice, tiny and finely detailed control column from the sprue, and keeping it away from the carpet monster, was microsurgery.

Any tips, like the colour of the i/p? RLM66 or 02? I've seen both, gratefully received! :D

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

• Like 3

Cheers Col. The level of detail in the cockpit is a bit disappointing. I must resist!

Colours in the cockpit - solved. The very plane, thanks Asisbiz! Looks like RLM 02 to me, i/p as well.

Messerschmitt-Bf-109E4-Stab-I.JG27-Gunth

Perforated rudder pedals as well... :hmmm:

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Johnson said:

Perforated rudder pedals as well

You could just put black dots on with a fine marker, but you can’t really see them in a casual inspection even with the canopy open. (I built one earlier in the GB).

All in the interests of getting across the line in a timely fashion :)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

You could just put black dots on with a fine marker, but you can’t really see them in a casual inspection even with the canopy open. (I built one earlier in the GB)

An excellent idea Adrian. I might even be able to use a fine marker on the port side to represent the missing flap and trim wheels. This is why BM is so great. Thanks!

The inside of the fuselage, cockpit, seat, i/p have been painted with RML02 Grey/Green (Xtracolor matt which I reckon to be a reasonable match).

I'm trying to stick to an OOB build, but the cockpit does need a bit of help...

The seat needed a hole in the back for the shoulder belts and the i/p decals, well...

y4mvNhZNsGBtcpzuHCGXxjKf5TRivJrED7IySF6N

(it looks as if the decal sheet is a lot closer to the camera, but it's not).

Not quite sure what Airfix were measuring when they made the i/p decals, but it wasn't the plastic that they were supposed to stick to. They're about 30% too big.

And the lower portion of the i/p? The bit marked above with a red ? A bit of research using Merrick's 'German Aircraft Interiors 1939-1945 Vol 1' (was there a Vol 2?) shows that the Bf 109 E-4 in the RAF museum has this panel. But the E-3 doesn't, nor does the interior photo of the actual E-4 I'm modelling (see above). So I presume that Airfix based their kit on the RAF Museum E-4 which maybe is fitted with a later i/p? (Luftwaffe and Bf 109 experts might know, I should probably paste a question in the WW2 section). Anyway, Airfix didn't supply a decal for it and I reckon it shouldn't be there... so out with the knife! :wicked:

y4mnX-XbG6ZvCQ3ZBRuNy1bF_yv9CC1KjnW1NAMO

The i/p is decaled with cut-up instrument decals left over from my last build, a FineMolds G-2, and some from the Airfix decals on the lower portion, toned down slightly with a dark wash. The actual instruments may not be in exactly the right place, but you'd need a magnifying glass to see that.

And a great idea for the rudder pedal perforations @AdrianMF, but the execution left a bit to be desired.

y4mfLepZbndQQz3xdFXgcblbY2elW4m4EEXGuXIn

Next to close up the fuselage. So far really enjoying this kit.

Cheers,

• Like 8

Hi Charlie,

Great start. A fun and nice kit to build, even if some tiny items are a pain to remove from the sprue without breakage. Great show on getting the stick out in one piece. No such luck for me!

Keep having fun!

JR

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2021 at 2:25 PM, jean said:

Great start. A fun and nice kit to build, even if some tiny items are a pain to remove from the sprue without breakage. Great show on getting the stick out in one piece.

Thanks Jean. It's a really nice little kit which I'm enjoying immensely (well, apart from the flaps that I made a bit of a mess of). I completely agree about getting the parts off the sprues, I don't think I've ever had such a difficult time.

5 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Nice progress. I have couple of these in the stash, and you're inspiring me to build one! 

Cheers Greg. It's a very good kit, not without it's challenges. But I shall definitely be getting another one.

• Like 2

The fuselage closed up with no problems, perfect fit.

y4m-FN6BnwgXsQZeadPZUeYKoUFM8LfKgWMTsdjk

Needed a bit of filler along the seam, and re-scribed the panel lines;

y4mqGxNKZiI7T89ttFQ_hp2RxJzNH3yhfXhwFlGQ

Nice MG 17s!

Next, attach the wings.

The wing to fuselage join is good but too tight and affected the dihedral (supposed to be 6.5 degrees);

y4m1IEmwXMZsx3Ozic7OPtQfDvowD128QFDdBtGs

Too Flat!

Without the fuselage;

y4m4-GQmr2TfX9rgqJkxQpQ1Nm_Sf1S--b82pnEe

About right.

Carefully sanded the wings and fuselage join, lots of test fitting.

y4mROiV3wbYS2oyAv9_Ydrrar-KBz_D20WOkmBMG

That's more like it!

Back soon, cheers.

• Like 7

Hi Charlie,

this looks great!

When you deal with the underwing radiators, do not forget to sand the sides, as the ones supplied are meant to go on a Tiger tank!

This kit is a very satisfying build, but frustrating at times. Out of all the small pieces, I managed to break the aerial mast, the pitot and half a wing cannon...

I guess it could have been worse, as I managed to get the 2 mass balances and the exhausts in one piece out of the sprue...

Keep having a lot of fun!

JR

On 8/17/2021 at 11:16 AM, jean said:

When you deal with the underwing radiators, do not forget to sand the sides, as the ones supplied are meant to go on a Tiger tank!

Thanks Jean, too right!! It's amazing isn't it? Airfix have done a great job with this little 109, but some of the parts just don't go together without some minor surgery!

Thankfully the front and rear canopy parts went on easily, if you discount my ham fisted gluing which resulted in the rear portion being fogged by the Tamiya Extra Thin. After much polishing with Alclad Micromesh 4000/6000/8000/12000 and 2 dips in clear, it's just about OK. 

Dscf3726

The rear bit got attached with PVA this time.

I'm assuming that Airfix have simplified the flaps/radiator arrangements, otherwise wouldn't it have overheated on landing?

Dscf3725

Next up, mask the canopy and get some paint on.

Back soon, cheers!

• Like 5

Hi Charlie,

just to be the proverbial pain, while you are at it, check your doc, and insert a thin piece of stretched sprue in the center of the radiators. Easy and it looks good.

Your call whether you do it before or after paint.

On mine, I will try it after the primer this time.

Cheers.

JR

• Like 1

Afternoon folks (those that are left at the thin end of the 109 STGB - and another week added on! Wahoo!)

Anyway, I tried the @jean masking technique, cutting the Tamiya tape actually on the canopy, but my eyes and hands just aren't up to it! So a more general mask was applied and I'll paint the canopy bars later. I plan to have the cockpit open which I usually do.

y4mCJymfoBLUegRdSr6RRsNjwEeb5NHrD_8Dz_RG

Painted the wheel wells RLM 02 and and masked with Blu Tack;

y4mhiumhyF0E4sk3cEaDkkjhlov942K4C-U0lLln

Aileron tabs and radiator bars added - thanks Jean!

Next is painting the RLM65 Hellblau. I was intending to use Hannants Xtracolor, which I'm used to, and no messing about with gloss coats. But a comparison of the Xtracolor with the Sovereign Hobbies Colorcoats and the Hikoki Luftwaffe Colours 1935 - 1945 paint chart is rather suggesting that the Colourcoats is a much better match.

y4mYwcKl_QNH9hy8vh-BNauQIHUIaS31Y54JenYZ

So SH it is. Interesting that the Xtracolor is a good match for 1941 Hellblau (which I'd never heard of till I got the chart!)  I'm obviously in danger of getting the 'Luftwaffe colour obsessiveness syndrome'. Is there a cure?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Johnson said:

I'm obviously in danger of getting the 'Luftwaffe colour obsessiveness syndrome'. Is there a cure?

Don't know if it can be called a cure as such but there's certainly plenty other areas where you can partake in a colours and shades war :o 

Hi Charlie,

absolutely no cure,I am afraid.

I am personally obsessed with RLM 02 and RLM 65. Do not tell my wife!

You are right, the Xtracolor RLM 65 is way too dark and grey for the early months of the war.

When you look at B & W pictures, the RLM 65 appears very, very light. So I would be tempted to add quite a bit of white to the Sovereign Color blue.

I know that with Humbrol 65, I add about 70% of white and I may go a bit higher this time.

At the end of the day, it is really a matter of personal taste. 

Have fun!

JR

PS: ;what color chart is this? Cheers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Johnson said:

Afternoon folks (those that are left at the thin end of the 109 STGB - and another week added on! Wahoo!)

Anyway, I tried the @jean masking technique, cutting the Tamiya tape actually on the canopy, but my eyes and hands just aren't up to it! So a more general mask was applied and I'll paint the canopy bars later. I plan to have the cockpit open which I usually do.

y4mCJymfoBLUegRdSr6RRsNjwEeb5NHrD_8Dz_RG

Painted the wheel wells RLM 02 and and masked with Blu Tack;

y4mhiumhyF0E4sk3cEaDkkjhlov942K4C-U0lLln

Aileron tabs and radiator bars added - thanks Jean!

Next is painting the RLM65 Hellblau. I was intending to use Hannants Xtracolor, which I'm used to, and no messing about with gloss coats. But a comparison of the Xtracolor with the Sovereign Hobbies Colorcoats and the Hikoki Luftwaffe Colours 1935 - 1945 paint chart is rather suggesting that the Colourcoats is a much better match.

y4mYwcKl_QNH9hy8vh-BNauQIHUIaS31Y54JenYZ

So SH it is. Interesting that the Xtracolor is a good match for 1941 Hellblau (which I'd never heard of till I got the chart!)  I'm obviously in danger of getting the 'Luftwaffe colour obsessiveness syndrome'. Is there a cure?

Mine is matched to Merrick & Kiroff's chips rather than Hikoki, so that will explain the poor match shown above.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Col. said:

Don't know if it can be called a cure as such but there's certainly plenty other areas where you can partake in a colours and shades war :o 

I think I'll avoid those wars Col. I've seen a few of them here on BM and they go round in increasingly angry and inconclusive circles and usually end in tears. I'll stick to enjoying making models with roughly the right colour of paint in GBs. Talking of which...

4 hours ago, jean said:

When you look at B & W pictures, the RLM 65 appears very, very light. So I would be tempted to add quite a bit of white to the Sovereign Color blue.

Hi Jean, I read your post after I'd got the airbrush out. The RLM65 in period photos does look very light. But I'm not good at mixing paint and even if I did, I'd wake up at 4am tomorrow morning wondering if I'd got it right :unsure:!

The paint actually looks a tad bluer in real life than in these pics, which were taken in natural daylight (cloudy sky), but I'm happy with the result.

y4mhqZo9lyqYH4QgxI3NKRV7Q3ImB1cmXPl-QQTo

y4m1-IF516TOOwC3AEN6YjumMSfvjrt5Uee9OoXG

4 hours ago, jean said:

PS: ;what color chart is this? Cheers.

It's the 'Hikoki Luftwaffe Colours 1935 - 1945' paint chart Jean. I found a reference to it a few months ago in a post on BM and bought a copy out of curiosity. I couldn't say how good it is, possibly not as accurate as the Merrick & Kiroff's chips that @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies refers to, but it's available at Crecy Publishing and I suspect that the Merrick & Kiroff's chips are hard to acquire.

The next thing to worry about is the RLM 02 and RLM 71 on the top. More decisions :shrug:. And the demarcation between the colours. I think you're right Jean in your BoB Airfix Bf109E-4 build that the paint was painted freehand, with a very thin feather between the colours. But that's for tomorrow!

Cheers,

• Like 4

Just be wary with arbitrary lightening that the relationship with RLM71 and RLM02 doesn't go to pot with it, and also keep in mind that RLM76 was essentially similar to RLM65 but lighter and washed out. You don't want to find you have accidently painted your Bf109E-4 with something that looks more like RLM76.

What I'm suggesting is "take all the camouflage and markings colours down together if you are going to start lightening one".

• Like 2

Hi Charlie,

everything is subjective, and colors are at the top of the list! I call green what my wife calls brown, etc...

So it is your call, whatever makes you feel comfortable and at peace with yourself.

Be careful though, re the paints' boundaries. Some 109 are definitely painted in a wavy pattern, while others appear to have straight boundaries between the RLM 02 and 71. Ideally you'd need a photo of your plane. If you do not have one, then once more, you do what you want and are happy with.

I personally would not touch the RLM 02 and 71 if I lighten the RLM 65. Although the blue is extremely light on many photos, the top surface looks pretty normal, whatever one defines as normal.

Decision, decision...

I am sure your 109 will look stunning.

Cheers

JR

• Like 1

Hi Jean,

3 hours ago, jean said:

everything is subjective, and colors are at the top of the list! I call green what my wife calls brown, etc..

Absolutely! I have the same debates with my wife, she says green and I say blue! 

Here's a photo of the actual plane I'm modelling (there are quite a few photos of Gunther Bode's 109 on the web in France and after being shot down in England). The boundaries between the 65, 71 and 02 are neither really hard or soft, straight or wavy. It's going to interesting achieving this in 1/72!

I said the 02 and 71 were next, I'll actually have to do the yellow on the nose and tail first. Which is probably the opposite way that it would have been applied in 1940? If it was applied at all? In the above photo there is no discernible difference between the Hellblau on the sides and the 'yellow' on the nose and tail, but they were both fairly light colours and may look the same in a B&W photo. The profiles on the web (yes, 'don't trust a profile...') have a yellow nose, so presumably it was noted when it force landed at Mayfield. But anyway, a yellow nose would look very good and I believe by the date it was lost it was common practice for 109Es in the BoB.

I think this profile is pretty much what I'd like to achieve;

Back soon (after I've finished pointing the paving slabs I'm laying outside, assuming I can summon up the energy :sleeping:)

Cheers,

• Like 2

Hi Charlie,

good luck with your paving work. Been there, done that!

I did play a bit with your photo as far as saturation, highlight, etc. are concerned, and you can see that the whole front of the 109 is darker than the rest of the fuselage,

so this would indeed point to the yellow paint.

The color demarcation looks quite sharp and straight where it can be seen. Aren't there any better photos from behind?

That is a great paint scheme.

Keep having fun!

JR

Paint, and some masking mayhem...

y4mJkQxD4msloS51KhpwXabxcPUVR9_WR7ldWFTZ

The RLM 02 has been airbrushed on, ready for the RLM 71.

y4mI5XIoJ2rbl1_vS6f6HB5dUAS68EO4NGCSOGHv

Like so;

y4mKmwMUv-mBs-Upv_UpHbMENDmn_NZGHn07jREV

The unmasking! Always an exciting event!

y4mslXwWaPJftvpyHWMkzPTotf-AVsNd7do7GSmF

y4m7-xFiFF6QnoGSeGGT-vsuouPZrP7KaKdaWNwR

A few bits of re-touching will be needed, above the supercharger inlet and the 02/71 join behind the cockpit which is a little too feathered. And the 71 either side of the cockpit would have been better if had coincided with the panel lines, 0.5mm lower. But overall pretty much what I wanted.

Technical stuff. I used Colourcoats 02 and 71, thinned about 60/40 with their Naptha based thinners, airbrushed at 15 psi using a Harder & Steenbeck Evolution Double Action Gravity Feed Airbrush with a 0.2mm Nozzle. Worked very well.

Wings next - if I can :unsure:. I've done something nasty to my left wrist, and now sport a mummy type elbow to fingers splinted bandage!

Back soon - I hope!

• Like 4