Restored Royal Navy F-4 Phantom photos.

Deano353

31 minutes ago, Deano353 said:

I think I'll possibly be back in a few weeks I'll see what I can do, some aircraft have access and some don't but I'll certainly ask man.

Thanks very much, anything is appreciated. Even if you cant then thanks anyway!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thanks very much, anything is appreciated. Even if you cant then thanks anyway!

No worries I'll post them on this thread if I get them.

• Thanks 1

@Black Knight I was looking on Google maps trying to find where roughly that was I drive down the Beersbridge Rd often and was curious. Thanks for the photos I'd never heard of this until a few days ago. 

The area is all built up now. Connswater shopping complex is where the old rope works was. To the right of the office block, a short distance away was the back of the rope works.

Go along Beersbridge, through the traffic lights of Bloomfield Ave on the right and Bloomfield Road on the left. There are some small streets on the left, I think the petrol station is still there on the left although modernised,  about 50 yards along on the opposite side of the road there are some new-build houses. They and other buildings are built on the 'park' that was there, which you can see to the left in the photos.

The office building was in a new small business centre, it was about 100 - 150 yards from Beersbridge Road. I think it was knocked down shortly after the crash.

The Bucc was flying low, about 25 - 30 feet and it went in shallow

PS. I'll be at Connswater on Tuesday afternoon, in the food court, from about 14.00 or so

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

@Anthony in NZ I was there today and asked if I could get a few photos of the cockpit and landing gear so here goes I hope you like them.spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

They're still working on the cockpit as you can see and I couldn't quite get any further into the cockpit but the tour guide told me feel free to take photos of the wheel wells so I took a few. spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngthese are the main landing gear.spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I hope these are useful to some of you guys I thought I might as well add them to this post as its already got a few replies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Cheers Anthony....going to be a good Phantom model day today

Hahaha man well I was literally on my knees and crouching walking around under the Phantom getting photos. Quite brilliant to be able to be so up close with the beast it's still being worked on extensively as you can see in the photos as there's still lots of parts removed etc but it'll look great once finished. The guy today was telling me he had a hard time convincing an ex-RAF  painter that the Royal Navy colours were better lol. Clearly a lot of work left I think the rear cockpit will have an ejection seat and both cockpits will be restored to normal. The front landing gear actually extends as it was designed to for launch from British  carriers when they were operational I asked but the guy working on the Phantom left am hour before so maybe next time I'll get that. I didn't have time to reply properly earlier so apologies but  I assume you're building a British Phantom? I hope HK Models actually release the British Phantom in 32nd scale as I've seen online.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Deano353 said:

I forgot to mention the guide at the aviation society said that Airfix scanned their Buccaneer and Phantom for their 1/72 kits.

Yes I heard they did that.  Makes sense as to why their Phantom kit is so nice and accurate

23 hours ago, Deano353 said:

I assume you're building a British Phantom? I hope HK Models actually release the British Phantom in 32nd scale as I've seen online.

Yes here is my build thread here, this will help a lot for me!

Cheers Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ
  • Like 1

I forgot I had these on here as well I've cockpit photos of the buccaneer, the wing mechanism of a Canberra PR9 and cockpit photos of a Wessex helicopter.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I couldn't get any of the rear cockpit as I don't think I'm allowed to crawl onto the intakes. spacer.png

Here's the Canberra.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Here's spacer.pngspacer.png@Anthony in NZ think I missed these Phantom photos last time.

• Like 2

I just realised my exceptional keyboard skills meant I didn't get the full description above. The photos just above the last Phantom photos are the Wessex cockpit. Thought it may be useful to someone out there along with the Buccaneer. 

• Like 2