Guide to building 1/700 ships?

I'm a spacecraft modeller with a bazillion (that's a real number, honest!) idea whizzing around my head of modelling projects.  Two involve producing little dioramas of spacecraft being recovered by ships.  I'm going to have to go with 1/700 scale due to display space restrictions

One subject would be the USS Donner (LSD-20) recovering the second Mercury capsule flight (MR2), the other would be the USS Leonard F Mason (DD852) recovering the Gemini VIII capsule.  However, the first problem I've come across is getting hold of the relevant kits.  Blue Ridge/Orange Hobby did the USS Comstock LSD 19 (The ship of the same name LSD-45 is a different design) and JAG made a model of a FRAM II upgraded Gearing class destroyer.  However, neither seem to be available any more so it's a going to be a long hunt for second hand ones. 😞

The second issue is that I've never built model ships before, let alone ones at such a teeny scale.  Can anyone point me in the direction of handy video guides/websites/books on the subject?

Thanks

Just received this book,very good it is too.Another book you might consider is 'Ship models from kits' by David Griffith from Seaforth Publishing,another fascinating guide into the building of small scale ships.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not surprised that book is good given Mike McCabe's experience.  The Griffith book isn't bad though I'd also suggest that for what you want to do with a diorama you may wish to consider his other book Ship Dioramas or Waterline Warships by Phillip Reed.

• Like 2

I have both books by David Griffith and Mike McCabe's book also.  I have found all three very useful; the books compliment each other well. 

Both authors draw upon a huge amount of experience and offer great advice.

• Like 1