Libyan Air Force MiG-23bn - any decals available?

David2703

Hi guys, 

I am slowly expanding my LAAF collection and now want to add a MiG-23bn. Now the problem is that no one seems to be making appropriate decals?

The only option I know of is the recently reissued Italeri kit, however the decal sheet in the kit is lacking in that only a pair instead of the necessary four serial numbers are inlcuded. Thus, I am a bit hesitant to buy two of the horrible Italeri kits just for the decals. Does anyone know other sources for LAAF MiG-23bn numbers?

Thanks & best,

David

spacer.png

Notice the repetition of the No. on the fin, making it necessary to either used 2 Italeri kits or possibly sources something like this somewhere else? I've been trying to match the font in my graphics programme but it is quite tough.

spacer.png

• Like 1

So I assume 1/48...

My advice:

First if you are concerned about accuracy, do NOT use the Italeri / ESCI plastic at all :( it has horrible shape...

opt for the Trumpeter kit with the Coldwar Studio nose correction

MiG-23 BN decals are generally rare. The scheme Utaleri chose is definitely attractive!

Blackbird models released a Lybian sheet (pre-revolution though.. maybe numbers/ fonts can be taken from there. At least they are black ;)

or there is a Modelmakerdecal sheet for the -21..

https://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/model-maker-decals-148-mikoyan-mig-21-around-the-world---libya--48110-273620-p.asp

Thanks for your advice guys,

12 hours ago, exdraken said:

First if you are concerned about accuracy, do NOT use the Italeri / ESCI plastic at all :( it has horrible shape...

opt for the Trumpeter kit with the Coldwar Studio nose correction

Blackbird models released a Lybian sheet (pre-revolution though.. maybe numbers/ fonts can be taken from there. At least they are black ;)

or there is a Modelmakerdecal sheet for the -21..

https://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/model-maker-decals-148-mikoyan-mig-21-around-the-world---libya--48110-273620-p.asp

Yep, will not use the Italeri plastic, that was clear from the outset. Problem is that the font is rather specific. Thus, the Model Maker sheet and Blackbird sheets which I have here also are not really suitable. (Can recommend both though!)

9 hours ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

The decal sheet of the new Italeri boxing of the Mig-23/Mig-27 is very good and for the price of around 25 Euro for the kit here in Germany you get markings for five very interesting aircraft and it costs not much more than just one decal sheet.

Which means that I will sadly have to get both or draw them as Martin suggested. While the Italeri kit decals and price are decent as is, I would need to get two kits to get the required four serial number decals - making this a way more expensive option. Sadly Italeri screwed up on the Libyan option.

As for drawing, that idea crossed my mind also and I started playing with vector drawing yesterday, if you can recommend any specific font packages or stuff like that feel free, as this is still not an easy task.

Thanks all for your input!

Edited by David2703
  • Like 1

to me those numbers are a rather good starting point, if size is ~ right!

the 1 needs the upwards part added... though.... the "9"s are fine to go if you ask me!

D48110-MiG-21-Around-The-World-Libya-143

32000_1_ita2798_1.jpg

great project!

1 hour ago, David2703 said:

Which means that I will sadly have to get both or draw them as Martin suggested. While the Italeri kit decals and price are decent as is, I would need to get two kits to get the required four serial number decals - making this a way more expensive option. Sadly Italeri screwed up on the Libyan option.

As for drawing, that idea crossed my mind also and I started playing with vector drawing yesterday, if you can recommend any specific font packages or stuff like that feel free, as this is still not an easy task.

Scan on sheet and then use it as the basis for the other, or just produce two sets so they look the same. I’m not expert on this but I know it can be done :). I’d then suggest either laser print yourself or use Arctic Decals in Finland. 

Martin

• Thanks 1