Has anyone built the 1/72 BPK 737-800?

I have searched online and YouTube. I cannot find one image or video of anyone actually building this. Just wondering if it goes together as badly as I am imagining. 

Edited by richie894

I have BPK’s 737-200, and while I have not built it, I know several who have, and they report it to be a typical short-run multi-media kit. You can find a review of the 737-200 kit here:

https://finescale.com/product-info/kit-reviews/2014/03/bpk-boeing-737-200

Hope this is helpful. I imagine the 737-800 is similar.

I have not made a start on mine yet but of the 2 kits I have, I can state that one is beautifully moulded with almost no flashes or surface imperfections while the other one is... the exact opposite. I know it is considered a short run kit from a small company but the differences between 2 kits is enormous.

I guess some will end up delighted with the build experience and others will be left with a bitter taste.

• Like 1

If you are on Facebook then there are images of a current build under way on the BPK FB Page. I have seen another completed one as well, Think it was in the same place.

If you want to know what it will be like there is a link to the BPK 727-200/T-43A over the cybermodeler webpage in the B737 reference area

I have started mine several months ago 

it’s not an easy kit but has lovely recessed panel lines and seems very accurate, the only draw back is the clear windows that need some work to get right 

I am currently working on one.

Its very nicely done,but its not an easy build.

I have it currently on hold for other ongoing projects,its currently in the primer process.

Once my bench has cleared a bit,I will continue with it.

As said,not the easiest kit but I enjoyed the work on it so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have also started mine in August last year (1 year ago), but slovly stopped it in December as I switched into my 8 pcs unfinished/boxed Tu-134A. 

My first impression was that this kit will be a challenge to snap together, however very detailed and accurated kit at all. Needs some pre-skills in the making scale models, but not so bad. Regarding the general quality of the parts needs to be highlight that I've got 3 of the very first 6 examples been manufactured before the kit was released officially, so some extra sprue could occureb by the times... 

I decided to cut every panels, doors, etc out as can be seen in our repair station, but left it abandoned by the time due to the Tu-134s kit, and everything fitted as temporarily before the correct adjustments.. All small stuffs are 100% scratchbuilds copied from our 1:1 ones...

All in all, don't give it up to assemble, as it will turns out amazingly... Just needs time to make it...

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

• 3 months later...

Wow @airdaniel!  That detail is astonishing!

Wondering where you get your information from on all those details (especially the u/c bays with all the hydraulic pipes & wiring looms).

Perhaps you are a maintenance engineer for a 737 fleet?

I have the kit on order.  It will be enough that I can get the exterior to look decent and not go hard at details like that.

My hat's off to you and your obvious skills.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Regarding the undercarriage bay, the photos I have seen, it is extremely busy with pipes, wires etc, all over the place, I did not bother with mine as life is to short LOL, but for anyone who wants to add the extra detail it would look great, although you can hardly see much of it in the end. I have stalled on mine, I just need really to get some passenger windows masks cut, the kit ones I don't like as you can barely see where to position them correctly, as I prefer Tamiya yellow stuff.

I might in the end do the Mexican Airforce one

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you very much. Actually I'm working on B737 since close to 20 years as engineer. So I'm lucky enough to have opportunity to check any details at anytime. 

My initial plan was to build a heavy "C" check diorama, but now I abandoned this project for a while due to my crazy Tu-134s line. 

But anyone needs any details of the real type, let me know and I will take detailed photos or painting color codes... I hope I can see other's result as this kit surely one of the best detailed kit I've ever seen.

Not easy kit, but worth of it.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 10/08/2021 at 21:08, airdaniel said:

I have also started mine in August last year (1 year ago), but slovly stopped it in December as I switched into my 8 pcs unfinished/boxed Tu-134A. 

My first impression was that this kit will be a challenge to snap together, however very detailed and accurated kit at all. Needs some pre-skills in the making scale models, but not so bad. Regarding the general quality of the parts needs to be highlight that I've got 3 of the very first 6 examples been manufactured before the kit was released officially, so some extra sprue could occureb by the times... 

I decided to cut every panels, doors, etc out as can be seen in our repair station, but left it abandoned by the time due to the Tu-134s kit, and everything fitted as temporarily before the correct adjustments.. All small stuffs are 100% scratchbuilds copied from our 1:1 ones...

All in all, don't give it up to assemble, as it will turns out amazingly... Just needs time to make it...

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Неlloi! what color did you use to paint the main gear bay?

On 9/5/2023 at 4:15 PM, vit79 said:

Неlloi! what color did you use to paint the main gear bay?

Hi,

As the original MWW (Main Wheel Well) colour on the real a/c is the normal Boeing gray BAC707, I painted the model on the same grey at first.

Then on the real a/c must use a corrosion preventive liquid (called CPC) to spray over regularly during maintenance. This liquid in a bottle is like a dark brown, rusty colour. Therefore the result on a real aircraft always depends on the thikness of this layer of fluid and the condition of that exact aircraft. Because this liquid remains slightly sticky all their lifetime, if your aircraft going to be dirty, then the main wheel well also going to be more dark and dirty.

All in all, I mixed many of the colours until I've got an affordable result what I see everyday on our aircrafts. And then added lot's of thinned black paint for washing through. The finish is exactly like on our aircraft.

So I can recommend you to mix a colour close to the egg yolk, and once you applied, just add very thin black wash over, to imitate the dirt, oily, greasy state.

I hope it could help somehow.

If you need any detailed photos of a real a/c, let me know and I send them to you.spacer.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, airdaniel said:

Hi,

As the original MWW (Main Wheel Well) colour on the real a/c is the normal Boeing gray BAC707, I painted the model on the same grey at first.

Then on the real a/c must use a corrosion preventive liquid (called CPC) to spray over regularly during maintenance. This liquid in a bottle is like a dark brown, rusty colour. Therefore the result on a real aircraft always depends on the thikness of this layer of fluid and the condition of that exact aircraft. Because this liquid remains slightly sticky all their lifetime, if your aircraft going to be dirty, then the main wheel well also going to be more dark and dirty.

All in all, I mixed many of the colours until I've got an affordable result what I see everyday on our aircrafts. And then added lot's of thinned black paint for washing through. The finish is exactly like on our aircraft.

So I can recommend you to mix a colour close to the egg yolk, and once you applied, just add very thin black wash over, to imitate the dirt, oily, greasy state.

I hope it could help somehow.

If you need any detailed photos of a real a/c, let me know and I send them to you.spacer.png

Thank you very much, your advice is very useful, I will mix paints to get the result

6 hours ago, airdaniel said:

just add very thin black wash over, to imitate the dirt, oily, greasy state.

If it's been in service for a few years, make that a thick, black overspray of the entire wheel well 😂

• Like 1