Jump to content

747 with a380 engines


Recommended Posts

In terms of engineering and more importantly undercarriage length how plausible is it? Cutting my losses with civy modelling, but rather than try and flog my 747 for pennies or just binning it wondering if I can use some spare a380 engines on it and do a military WHIF in the distant future? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Depends which 747 kit you have. If it is the well designed and generally accurate Revell or Zvezda 747-8 kit, it might be possible because the fan diameter difference between A380 engines (296cm) and 747-8 engines (266cm) equates to 2.1mm, so 1.05mm radius. And I am sure there is enough clearance under the 747-8 kit's inner engines for an extra 1.05mm.

 

If you have the Revell 747-400 kit, I would not know. Everything on this kit is botched, I have read many posts suggesting that if built OOB, it's CF6-80 inner engines would touch the ground, so obviously no clearance left for bigger engines.

Edited by Silver Seraph
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Silver Seraph said:

Depends which 747 kit you have. If it is the well designed and generally accurate Revell or Zvezda 747-8 kit, it might be possible because the fan diameter difference between A380 engines (296cm) and 747-8 engines (266cm) equates to 2.1mm, so 1.05mm radius. And I am sure there is enough clearance under the 747-8 kit's inner engines for an extra 1.05mm.

 

If you have the Revell 747-400 kit, I would not know. Everything on this kit is botched, I have read many posts suggesting that if built OOB, it's CF6-80 inner engines would touch the ground, so obviously no clearance left for bigger engines.

Original Revell -100. Actually clearance is irrelevant as its been assembled gear up, but wouldn't want to mount something unplausible

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Original Revell -100. Actually clearance is irrelevant as its been assembled gear up, but wouldn't want to mount something unplausible

What was the quote in the "Inception"? You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger. ?

That's GE90 for you. 

PS: Btw, looks like this 747 was used to test GP7200....

Edited by Julien
no copyrighted photos
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Engine Alliance GP7200 was initially designed for the 747-500/600 so it is one of those almost happened What-if ideas.

Sorry to hear you are cutting your losses and running building a 747.

Just curious as to what you plan to do with the engineless A380?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Abandoned Project said:

The Engine Alliance GP7200 was initially designed for the 747-500/600 so it is one of those almost happened What-if ideas.

Sorry to hear you are cutting your losses and running building a 747.

Just curious as to what you plan to do with the engineless A380?

A380's a prior disaster, kept the engines just in case.  Thinking about it the probably won't be any less work than doing the 747 as originally planned, but can now sell the expensive resin engines and airline decals to raise some funds for a ready made airline 747. And finish the kit one day far off

 

Thanks to everyone who replied. 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Thanks to everyone who replied

Not a problem.

Have a look at this for some inspiration.

 

 

I too have a hankering for modified military 747s.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On top of my 747-600 with A380 engines and my 747-8 with 777-300 engines I'm working on, I've just organised some A350 engines for a stretch A380 so we will have to compare notes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

and my 747-8 with 777-300 engines I'm working on

 

6 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

A350 engines for a stretch A380

How many engines on both? Would be interesting to see the results...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Doom3r said:

How many engines on both? Would be interesting to see the results...

Four. Both are four engine aircraft. Let me know how it turns out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I'd thought about a similar 747  project but abandoned it because of ground clearance issues.

Instead, I am using the A380's R R Trent engines on a re engined C-5 Galaxy. No clearance issues there!
!😉😂.

As for the A380 donor kit?

Well, it was
wrecked in an accident but, I have kept the carcass, having broken it up for parts for other projects.

 

John

Ps -  in case anyone is wondering,  its the Otaki original C-5 kit I am using, not the hideously overpriced Roden kit. (Cue sharp intake of breath from collectors! 😉😂)

Edited by Beermonster1958
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

I'd thought about a similar 747  project but abandoned it because of ground clearance issues

Did you get to the point of hanging engines on wings?

AFAIK the GP7200/Trent 900 should fit the 747 as the GP7200 was originally designed for the 747-500/600. Also I have seen pictures of the GE test 747 with a GE90-115B fitted so I have no worries about my what-if 747's

9 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

not the hideously overpriced Roden kit. (Cue sharp intake of breath from collectors

L O L 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/09/2021 at 18:57, Abandoned Project said:

Did you get to the point of hanging engines on wings?

AFAIK the GP7200/Trent 900 should fit the 747 as the GP7200 was originally designed for the 747-500/600. Also I have seen pictures of the GE test 747 with a GE90-115B fitted so I have no worries about my what-if 747's

L O L 

Yes. They fit very well.  I had to trim the pylon lengths but, otherwise no problem at all.

Obviously, the C-5 having a high mounted wing design did help considerably!!

I'll post a picture later.

I had, at one point seriously considered a freighter 747 with a top mounted wing like the C-5 but, the idea still remains very much on my imagination 's "shelf of doom".! 😉😂

However,  having seen your earlier link to the camouflaged 747, it may yet be resurrected!!

 

John

Edited by Beermonster1958
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

I had, at one point seriously considered a freighter 747 with a top mounted wing like the C-5

So did Boeing, they even made a scale model as part of the design process before they settled on the 747 we have today.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

So did Boeing, they even made a scale model as part of the design process before they settled on the 747 we have today.

The 747 evolved from Boeing’s proposal for the program that spawned the c-5…..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...