Piper L-4 with Brodie Hook. ##Finished##

Jb65rams

My entry will be the Kovozávody Prostějov  1/72 Piper L-4 with Brodie Hook. The Brodie landing system was a method of landing light aeroplane devised by James H Brodie, a Captain of the United States Army Air Forces during World War II. The method of landing involved catching a hook attached to the plane with a sling which itself was attached to a cable. The idea was the system could be fixed to small ships and  also proved useful in landing aircraft in normally unsuitable terrain, such as the jungle or in mountains, and also afforded good camouflage. The aircraft used Piper L-4 and Stinson L-5 light observation aircraft.

The following video on Youtube give you some more information.

The box.

spacer.png

The rear of the box shows the marking options, I am taken with the Yellow-Orange trials version.

spacer.png

Won't be able to start for a while as I need to progress my entries in the Bristol Airplane Company and French Fancy GBs.

• Like 10

My goodness, what a complicated procedure. I tried to imagine how this would work with a fully loaded B-25. 🙃  I hope your model will be easier to build.

46 minutes ago, Jb65rams said:

@PeterB tempting, but no. I would need to scratch build a LST, approx 1.3m in length. Might look to hang it from the ceiling!

Maybe not the whole LST, but a length of flat wood say 1x6 and made up to look like the deck along the side ? Then just build the two towers and rigging ? Though if you do the LST someday Let me know as it would definitely be worth following if not investing to get a copy ? 

If you have £200 to spare you could always buy the 1/76 resin LST5 model by Dan Taylor - He sells it as do Milicast and Accurate Armour. It's 30" long.

Only joking!😆

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure I am solving any troubles, but do seem to keep finding them.

I found the glazing and frame a pain. Progress it one piece a day to give time for glue to set.

spacer.png

Decided to try to fit the wings before closing the canopy up. The final canopy piece didn't want to fit. either ended up with a step at the front or rear.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just a bit of tidy up then it will be ready for primer.

• Like 9

• Jb65rams changed the title to Piper L-4 with Brodie Hook. ##Finished##

Bravo! We certainly enjoy the result! :clap2:

That's quite an interesting build for the display cabinet. That's always a bonus in my book.

I've heard of the power of pink. I have a jar of pink and purple--both far outside my normal palette--in my paint stock to try some day.

That was nice. I like a nice Piper Cub now and then. The trapeze launch and recovery system makes me think of those 'Flying Fox' / Zip -Wire things dotted around play parks around the country! Great fun!   The footage was interesting to watch. Noticed the L-4 Cub had only one wing with the blotchy camo... replacement wing on one side or other maybe?